Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rivera wants to limit star to 30 snaps a game.

Carolina Panthers NFL NFL Draft

Best Answer sml1950, 02 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Heard the Sirius interview with Chico and PK this PM......

- Star is expected to start with Dwan and assuming 60 plays/game share 30-40 snaps
- KK and Cole will play the other 20-30...no mention of Fua/Kearse
- Star played the zero technique at Utah and will be used in a 3 man front, but 4-3 will be base
- KK already uses his hands like a vet and flips his hips better than most vet 3 tech., which helps his backfield penetration.
- Kugbila will contribute this year, but did not say he would start right away.
- We had the Ala S and La CB rated high enough that it was like getting two more draft choices. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Per Kirwan twitter.

16 * 30 = 480

For comparison Dwan played 51 snaps a game or 718 snaps in 14 games last year.

Gettelman said he's a a 3 down player

We played 1008 defensive snaps last year total which equals 63 per game

Discuss.

#2 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think early on we'll use Star solely as a run stuffer.

#3 Manos

Manos

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Im guessing they really wanna have a 7-8 man rotation on the d-line to keep everyone fresh and healthy.

#4 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

I guess getting plays off is better than taking plays off.

#5 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

If we rotate Short and Star we'll at least be able to get them both a decent amount of playing time, which is invaluable at this point in their development. Bring Short in on 3rd down to get more pressure on the QB while giving Star some rest from breaking all of those double teams. It's not a terrible idea...

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,712 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Keep in mind that, ideally speaking, an improved defense should be playing fewer snaps overall.

A more effective offense factors into that formula as well.

#7 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

On draft night, when watching the center for Purdue get blown back into the qb for a sack, Mayock said he does this! A lot when he...is not tired. Marshall Faulk flinching at the pain Star causes.

Keeping a fresh Star is a Disruptive Star.

Smart move.

#8 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,729 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I guess getting plays off is better than taking plays off.

Dude is 320 lbs and played 92% of the snaps last year. He wasn't taking plays off. For comparison Floyd played around 60%-65%.

This is a good thing. We need to keep everyone fresh because we have a lot of talent on the D line now.

#9 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Probably want Star in on 1st and 2nd downs and then both Short and Dwan on 3rd downs for pass rush?

#10 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,085 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Damn that's a lot of snaps for Dwan last season.

I would like to see Star out there more but if we have to do that to get Short some snaps, mind as well do it.

Chico might think that he wants Star out there for 30 snaps a game but when he proves that he's a STAR, we're looking at 40-50 snaps for him.

Star can have the same rookie impact on this team like Cam and Luke, they weren't getting any limited snaps, why should Star.

#11 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,729 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Damn that's a lot of snaps for Dwan last season.

I would like to see Star out there more but if we have to do that to get Short some snaps, mind as well do it.

Chico might think that he wants Star out there for 30 snaps a game but when he proves that he's a STAR, we're looking at 40-50 snaps for him.

Star can have the same rookie impact on this team like Cam and Luke, they weren't getting any limited snaps, why should Star.

Because Star is 320 pounds. He's a big guy. Big guy's need rest to make a consistent impact. Obviously this is two fold. If we need him in the game, he's gonna play. But keeping a rotation will be key to consistent pressure.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,712 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Dude is 320 lbs and played 92% of the snaps last year. He wasn't taking plays off. For comparison Floyd played around 60%-65%.

This is a good thing. We need to keep everyone fresh because we have a lot of talent on the D line now.

Can't forget that he is also making the transition from college to pro, meaning that this season will be longer than any he's played before.

#13 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Keep in mind that, ideally speaking, an improved defense should be playing fewer snaps overall.

I thought of this initially to try to rationalize it but after doing research it didnt help.

The steelers D played 1016 snaps last year according to pff. Nfl.com has the steelers at 951, according to nfl.com that played the fewest d snaps in leauge. For comparison nfl.com had us at 1010

#14 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

I hate twitter, tweets, and social media in general - the huddle of course being the exception

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,712 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I thought of this initially to try to rationalize it but after doing research it didnt help.

The steelers D played 1016 snaps last year according to pff. Nfl.com has the steelers at 951, according to nfl.com that played the fewest d snaps in leauge. For comparison nfl.com had us at 1010

Don't forget that league rules today make it harder than ever for defenses to get off the field.

Still, here's hoping the number of snaps he ultimately plays is multiplied by more than 16 :)

I know as Panther fans, we've gotten used to regular seasons only, but I'm hoping that's about to change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.