Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rivera wants to limit star to 30 snaps a game.

Carolina Panthers NFL NFL Draft

Best Answer sml1950, 02 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Heard the Sirius interview with Chico and PK this PM......

- Star is expected to start with Dwan and assuming 60 plays/game share 30-40 snaps
- KK and Cole will play the other 20-30...no mention of Fua/Kearse
- Star played the zero technique at Utah and will be used in a 3 man front, but 4-3 will be base
- KK already uses his hands like a vet and flips his hips better than most vet 3 tech., which helps his backfield penetration.
- Kugbila will contribute this year, but did not say he would start right away.
- We had the Ala S and La CB rated high enough that it was like getting two more draft choices. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,557 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes lets go ahead and put a limit to how much our first rounder is going to play before he even takes his first practice. Sounds great!

#32 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Star plays at 320. Dwan plays at 300.

Star said that he feels most comfortable playing at 310.

#33 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I think he's worried about breaking him down too quickly. 

#34 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yes lets go ahead and put a limit to how much our first rounder is going to play before he even takes his first practice. Sounds great!

It means that Gettleman and Rivera have a plan for how they will run the DL.

A rotation is the best thing for every one if our DT's.

Rookies often hit a wall about 75% through the season. Managing a good rotation keeps guys fresh during the game and during the season.

Thus is exactly the same philosophy that the Giants use.

If anyone can't understand this, they should just retire to watching women's gymnastics.

#35 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Star said that he feels most comfortable playing at 310.

That's great, but i won't keep going back in forth with you about 10 lbs. The guy played as high as 340lb.  If the coaching staff wants him at 310 he'll be at 310. If you can't see that Star is a bigger guy than Dwan, who also hasn't played a full NFL season, who struggled when he was tired, Sorry chuck. I don't know what else to tell you.

#36 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,090 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

He is a rookie. You put him out there with a big load and he will suck and get exhausted.

I think some our a tad unrealistic about what our DTs will bring to the table in 13. It will be more of a learning year and they will he reps. DTs aren't usually impact players year 1.

I don't think it is about having this ideal giants rotating scheme....more about not putting too much on him and causing set backs

#37 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Rookies often hit a wall about 75% through the season. Managing a good rotation keeps guys fresh during the game and during the season.

If anyone can't understand this, they should just retire to watching women's gymnastics.

The giants have always played seger starting DT's at least 60% of the snaps as far back as pff will let me look and I didn't even check to make sure the played all 16 games. Not to mention they have not had a DT of star's potential.

#38 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,140 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

quick math in my head suggests that's roughly half of the total snaps taken by a top 5 defense per game, which is what we're striving to be. given our sudden depth at the position that doesn't sound like a bad plan.

#39 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,515 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

For a rookie, that sounds like a solid plan to integrate Star into NFL. I doubt it'll be just 30 snaps a game (40-45 is more probable) though. Then again, we do have Kearse and Cole (and Hardy can play UT on some snaps), so I can envision a scenario.

#40 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,557 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

You should probably follow your own advice since you rarely know what you're talking about.

#41 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

quick math in my head suggests that's roughly half of the total snaps taken by a top 5 defense per game, which is what we're striving to be. given our sudden depth at the position that doesn't sound like a bad plan.

So half the snaps sounds good to you? I'd like to see something more like 60-65% personally.

I just keep going back to Gettleman calling him a 3 down player, lets not forget we still play some 4th downs on D.

#42 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

That's great, but i won't keep going back in forth with you about 10 lbs. The guy played as high as 340lb. If the coaching staff wants him at 310 he'll be at 310. If you can't see that Star is a bigger guy than Dwan, who also hasn't played a full NFL season, who struggled when he was tired, Sorry chuck. I don't know what else to tell you.

Dwan looks just as big as Star.
Star said he's comfortable at 310 and that's where he's been listed as the last few months.

You were the one who started to fight over 20 lbs.

Star struggled not bc of his weight but bc how much much Utah played him. Same for Short. Rivera and Gettleman have been saying that for a while now.

#43 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sounds good to me, quality over quantity. 

#44 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Dwan looks just as big as Star.
Star said he's comfortable at 310 and that's where he's been listed as the last few months.

You were the one who started to fight over 20 lbs.

Star struggled not bc of his weight but bc how much much Utah played him. Same for Short. Rivera and Gettleman have been saying that for a while now.

cool man. I never said he struggled because of his weight. I said he was a big guy so rest would be good for him. don't twist my words.

#45 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,140 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

So half the snaps sounds good to you? I'd like to see something more like 60-65% personally.

I just keep going back to Gettleman calling him a 3 down player, lets not forget we still play some 4th downs on D.

we're going to be facing a lot of passing situations in our division this year. maybe i'm speaking out of ignorance here but i'd expect to see a lot of edwards/short packages on obvious passing downs, which would automatically clip star's playing time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.