Photo
- - - - -

Five NFC teams that failed to fill needs (ATL & CAR included)

Carolina Panthers NFL NFL Draft

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

If WR was as huge of a problem as we all think then I think Gettleman would have drafted one.

#62 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

If WR was as huge of a problem as we all think then I think Gettleman would have drafted one.

Hurney was fired b/c of created a clusterfug.  Gettlemen had 5 draft picks.

There are lots of problems he didn't address in the draft.   Impossible for it to of been done....b/c we didn't draft X doesn't mean we are good at X.

#63 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

i think it's getting close to being a situation that you have to act like you know its going to be bad rather than hoping it will be ok.

Right. That's why we should get aggresive. But we don't know where we really stand til this seasons over . Theres nothing we can do at this point in time.

#64 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

This years draft class lacked talent at wide receiver. Gettle worked most of them out and must have not liked what he saw, but the fact he worked out ten or more says he plans to address that position. Next years receiver class is great and we could have a potentially elite receiver in the first or second round.

he almost drafted a TE at 14.....

but you could of argued he didn't see that as a need if it wasn't leaked out since he didn't draft one.

#65 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think TE would have been more beneficial than a WR anyhow...  that is if you are expecting an immediate impact out of either position from a draft pick.

#66 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think TE would have been more beneficial than a WR anyhow...

we need both.

double dip next year.

#67 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,019 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think TE would have been more beneficial than a WR anyhow...  that is if you are expecting an immediate impact out of either position from a draft pick.

That was my feeling as well.

I would rather have had Eifert or Ertz over any WR in the draft....including Austin.

#68 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

we need both.

double dip next year.

this is true..  I'm sayin if it was between one or the other this year and expecting an immediate impact, I wouldn't put money on a draft pick at WR separating himself all too much from LaFell or Hixon,  On paper, maybe..  I think a 2nd TE would be more effective if we want to open up the field immediately, which hopefully is something they are still focused on ,,

#69 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

It's easy to pick out teams with multiple needs and say they didn't fill 'em. I guess if we'd drafted another overrated WR we'd have 'filled our needs'.

#70 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

the panthers had more than a few holes and very little money or draft picks to work with. I think they did a fine job with the resources they had. 

#71 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think we are aware that WR is a huge need, but Gettlemen saw 2 things from last season that are bigger problems: Our inability to stop the run and get off the field on Defense and our inability to run on offense to control the clock. The first resulted in tired defensive linemen; the second was a result of our OL and maybe even the lack of carries in the backfield for each back to get into a rhythm.

When Dwan came out for a breather, who came in? Sometimes, it was hardy, sliding inside to the 3 tech. That is a good idea on paper, but he was getting tired. By the fourth quarter, he was not as effective rushing the passer. I am curious to know how many sacks we got late in games. Of course, the other option was Chandler, and undrafted, raw, DT. While teams began taking advantage of the rotations and the fatigue, we blamed our CBs and Safeties. Some of it was valid, but not all. Gettlemen decided to fix the team from the front to the back, from the inside out.

The run game was (hopefully) addressed 2 ways. By adding a RG who can plow and a scat back who can change up the pace, the Panthers created running lanes inside and outside. Barner should cause the defense to blitz less and keep LBs home because, although he may not be able to block, Cam has a pass, run, dump off option. By banking on Kalil's return, Silatolu's improvement, and an upgrade at RG, the passing attack will get better when the run attack improves-as the defensive backs get better when the pass and run defense improves.

Some teams try to fix problems by bringing in the skill players (back, outside) before the Hog Mollies (front, inside) and it rarely works. That is why so many talented QBs bust--they go to teams without the pieces in place.

Gettlemen was limited by the cap and having only 2 draft picks not on day 3. He was also $16 million over the cap. He went Phase I. In doing so, he addressed a lot of the reasons we lost games late in games last year.

Phase II will be next year. By drafting Klein and Barner, the groundwork is being paved. We have 2 veterans, players we love, who will be making much more $$ than they deserve. Beason and Dwill. So, the picks were value to help us transition to life without those contracts. Like it or not, its business.

#72 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Drafting for need = failure.

Want an example? The Cowboys taking a center in the 1st found that everyone had a 3 round grade on, because they NEEDED a center. One day very soon, we'll all look back and laugh at the talent JJ left on the board while they were reaching to fill a need. 

Draft BPA and fill needs through FA, this is the path to success and so far this is the path we're on with Gettleman. 

If Gettleman is to be believed (and what choice do we have?) we selected the players we drafted because they were by far the BPA's on our board when our picks came up... it's as simple as that. 

Right now, on paper we don't need another LB or HB... but the minute one of our HB's or LB's goes down this will suddenly become a need and we'll be in position to fill it. 

We do need to find Smitty's eventual replacement, but reaching for one in the draft isn't going to get us there.

Drafting DT's at 14 and 44 was an example of one of those rare moments when need and BPA intersect. 

#73 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Smith (Would suck if he isn't on the roster next year)

Lafell ( Would suck, but could be replaced)

Hixon and Ginn ( we don't know what we have with them yet, or if we can resign them if they are worth it) 

We don't know what our cap situation will be like next year either (cutting/restructures)

We could essentially replace Hixon and Ginn as easily as we signed them

Smith is really the only concern for me.

so you want a revolving door of wrs? or 4 new wrs coming in trying to learn the offense? what ever happened to chemistry with your qb. If Ginn or Hixon has a big year and this team doesnt they will be gone. Lafell may want to go back home and Smith hang it up. 

Thats sticking it to your franchise qb.

#74 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

It's easy to pick out teams with multiple needs and say they didn't fill 'em. I guess if we'd drafted another overrated WR we'd have 'filled our needs'.

draft another?

The last 16 years

0 - WRs drafted in round 1

1 - WR drafted in round 2

#75 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Drafting for need = failure.

Want an example? The Cowboys taking a center in the 1st found that everyone had a 3 round grade on, because they NEEDED a center.

Draft BPA and fill needs through FA, this is the path to success and so far this is the path we're on with Gettleman. 

all teams draft w/ need factoring...

we do

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.