Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maine's Personal Scouting Report on Star Lotulelei

18 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Oh wee, Maine..:good wiork.

Posted · Report post

I'm curious if he can keep gaining mass and strength while stayin so quick.
Dude might make an impact even as a rook

Posted · Report post

Mobile quarterback able to escape his pressure in the backfield.

Hopefully the NFC south QBs are all but mobile, they will rather die in their trench.

Good work by the way.

Posted · Report post

If you removed the name Star and replaced it with Kris Jenkins it would still be the same.  Both are explosive off the ball almost to a fault.  Lots of offsides penalties, but a lot of splash plays in the back field to make up for it.  The good part is I dont think Star will try to eat his way out of the league.  Good write up and I agree, Star is gonna be a good ball player for a while.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Great post do 1 for Short his tape is pretty good as well.

Posted · Report post

If you removed the name Star and replaced it with Kris Jenkins it would still be the same.  Both are explosive off the ball almost to a fault.  Lots of offsides penalties, but a lot of splash plays in the back field to make up for it.  The good part is I dont think Star will try to eat his way out of the league.  Good write up and I agree, Star is gonna be a good ball player for a while.

agreed. i think star is a lot more disciplined than jenks was.

Posted · Report post

personality wise Star is no where close to Jenkins 

Posted · Report post

Can't wait to see Star vs Unger week1. Gonna be badd!

Posted · Report post

personality wise Star is no where close to Jenkins

Exactly. We all love Jenkins around here but that man had issues. He could've been the best DT in the NFL for years and a HOF'er but depression truly tore him apart.

Posted · Report post

very very nice

can you do each pick?  lol  talk about site hits, wow..

Posted · Report post

I've been meaning to do this since Star fell into our laps on draft day and finally got around to it. I watched every snap Lotulelei was involved in that I could find online and took extensive notes for each game. So, without further ado, here is my lengthy scouting report on the 14th overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft...Star Lotulelei. 

Conclusion: New Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Star Lotulelei has all the physical and athletic ability to be a dominant player in this league. In every game I watched, he won the vast majority of his one on one match ups and did not give up ground when double teamed. His bull rush is a thing of beauty and almost always is successful. His first step off the line of scrimmage is one of the quickest I have seen. Almost every snap he beats not only his teammates off the ball, but opposing offensive linemen as well. Star was so explosive and a huge difference maker in the first half of games when he was fresh. A reduction in his snaps and solid rotation on the defensive line should bode well for this season and his productiveness. If he is rested...he can be a menace all game long. Despite struggling in diagnosing run plays and disengaging blockers, Star should benefit greatly by having one hell of a front seven around him. If he can continue to make runners change their lanes and dictate where offensive linemen go, Luke and the rest of our linebackers could have career years in terms of tackling production. Mobile quarterbacks seemed to give Star the biggest fits in college and their aren't too many in the NFL that can really escape the pocket and run around. This is especially true with Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy rushing on the outside. I believe teams will look to hurry up their offenses and get the ball out as quick as possible. Look for quarterbacks to use hard counts to try and make Star jump offsides. Look for offensive linemen to get called on holding penalties when Star gets a quick jump on them.  Smaller quarterbacks will struggle to see when the pocket collapses in front of them because of Star and our corners need to make plays on the poorly placed passes that there should be many of. Slower, statue-like quarterbacks will face struggles of their own as the pocket collapses and will hopefully lead to mistakes. Star Lotulelei will be a good player for a long time folks. 

Maine, you can't leave us hanging. I'll expect your analysis on K.K. forthwith...(j/k...not really) LOL