Photo
- - - - -

Unemployment down to 7.5%,Dow Industrials hits 15,000 for first time, S&P hits 1600 for first time

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

My mother in law tried to get disability a while back. She was in a real bad way, in pain on the time, and they still denied her.

Easier said than done.

NPR had a piece on it. I can't find the podcast. It was really informative. Its definitely an issue even though your mom in law was denied. Here is an article about the piece.
http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

#32 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

that npr piece was a hack job fyi

#33 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Really how so?

#34 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Really how so?

don't have time to highlight the important parts but here are the links i'm referring to

http://mediamatters....ed-story/193215

http://www.huffingto..._b_2971443.html

i'll come back and edit this later with the important parts in quotations if you haven't seen this post by then

e: fug it, the entire first article is important. it's a point-by-point evisceration of that bullshit "story"

#35 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

Really how so?

/quote]

Because he said so. It is a BS story. We all know that half the people in this country are starving and disabled. Don't ever question the liberal line you racist, granny hating, right wing hack, or at least that's what I get.

Just like food stamps. Tried to mention this a week ago and sure enough, CWG and the rest are certain that there is NOOOO waste or cheating there either. Do not question any program that has a 10% benefit to the recipients but a 90% benefit to the Democratic Party.

I know for a fact, because my friend owns the business, that he has a girl working for him, in her mid twenties, with 3 kids, that gets $2100 per month in food stamps. She cannot get close to using all of it, so she sells about $1000 per month on the black market, which is HUGE in Atlanta. Generally, she gets 50% or a little more for what she sells each month.

But unless media matters or Huff Po report it, it does not exist.

Like I have mentioned many times. I think HuffPo is useful just like I think Breitbart is useful. When you have a polorized two party political system, there has to be a two sided media system. There are NO media outlets that don't have an opinion. It has to be this way to hold each side accountable.

#36 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

My mother in law tried to get disability a while back. She was in a real bad way, in pain on the time, and they still denied her.

Easier said than done.

She should get a Lawyer.  I have a friend who works in a law firm that handles disability cases.  She said that a lot of people get denied the first time, and some as many as three times.  If she has a legit case, the lawyer can probably get it for her, and they would have to back pay her from the time she initially applied.  A big lump sum, although the lawyer takes a percentage of that as his fee. 

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

She died last year

#38 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Really how so?

/quote]

Because he said so. It is a BS story. We all know that half the people in this country are starving and disabled. Don't ever question the liberal line you racist, granny hating, right wing hack, or at least that's what I get.

Just like food stamps. Tried to mention this a week ago and sure enough, CWG and the rest are certain that there is NOOOO waste or cheating there either. Do not question any program that has a 10% benefit to the recipients but a 90% benefit to the Democratic Party.

I know for a fact, because my friend owns the business, that he has a girl working for him, in her mid twenties, with 3 kids, that gets $2100 per month in food stamps. She cannot get close to using all of it, so she sells about $1000 per month on the black market, which is HUGE in Atlanta. Generally, she gets 50% or a little more for what she sells each month.

But unless media matters or Huff Po report it, it does not exist.

Like I have mentioned many times. I think HuffPo is useful just like I think Breitbart is useful. When you have a polorized two party political system, there has to be a two sided media system. There are NO media outlets that don't have an opinion. It has to be this way to hold each side accountable.

stop crying about the source and attempt to debate the content. this isn't talk radio. this isn't free republic. that bullshit doesn't really fly once you get outside of the republican echo chamber.

at best it was a hack job and at worst it was corporate propaganda. the story was factually incorrect, and this has been proven repeatedly.

#39 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,840 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

This reminds me of a debate I had with my sister the other day about taxation and wealth inequality.  She is a Conservative and all too often when I talk to Conservatives this is exactly where the conversation goes.

It always devolves into "... well so and so down the street does this so I know for a fact.... yadda yadda yadda" 

There is a plethora of data on a lot of this stuff, but every time you get into a conversation about the massive amounts of data there is on a subject it almost always returns to an anecdotal story of someone else they know, or know someone who knows someone, that they try to use to make their point.

But anecdotal evidence is always subject to exaggerations, misinformation on certain facts, misunderstanding of simple facts, etc.

There is no doubt that there are a lot of people that try to game the system.  But the fact that you think you know about someone or know someone who knows something isn't a compelling argument, because of the aforementioned issues with anecdotal evidence.

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,228 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

what is the official hard data on the amount of fraud with food stamps or at least the % of those on it. maybe per state.

#41 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Human Nature.

Not just the poor that will scam a system, heck doctors are scamming and have been arrested by claiming Medicare stuff not owed to them.

You open a wide enough hole and countless folks at all levels will take advantage of it.

#42 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,228 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

so do we or do we not have a problem with both disability and food stamp fraud in the US?

and i have a host of anceodtal that some just bristle at because it usually goes against the "data" they get.

in my industry i see 3 levels of fraud. food stamps, disability and getting govt assistance for mortgages. its pretty pervasive.

but its hearsay. what do i know.

#43 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,840 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

what is the official hard data on the amount of fraud with food stamps or at least the % of those on it. maybe per state.

Here is a recent study by the non-partisan Center on Budget and Policy priorities:

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3239

SNAP has one of the most rigorous payment error measurement systems of any public benefit program.  Each year states pull a representative sample (totaling about 50,000 cases nationally) and thoroughly review the accuracy of their eligibility and benefit decisions.  Federal officials re-review a subsample of the cases to ensure accuracy in the error rates.  States are subject to fiscal penalties if their error rates are persistently higher than the national average.

Despite the recent rapid caseload growth, USDA reports that states achieved a record-low SNAP error rate in fiscal year 2011.  (See Figure 4.)  Only 3 percent of all SNAP benefits represented overpayments, meaning they either went to ineligible households or went to eligible households but in excessive amounts, and more than 98 percent of SNAP benefits were issued to eligible households.

In addition, the combined error rate — that is, the sum of overpayments and underpayments (see box, “Combined Error Rate Does Not Represent Excessive Federal Spending or Fraud, p. 9) reached an all-time low in 2011 of just 3.8 percent.  Prior to enactment of major reforms in the 2002 Farm Bill, states with combined error rates below 6 percent qualified for a bonus payment or enhanced funding in recognition of their exemplary performance; for eight years running the national error rate has exceeded this standard.

In comparison, the Internal Revenue Service estimates a tax noncompliance rate of 16.9 percent in 2006 (the most recently studied year).  This represents a $450 billion loss to the federal government in one year.  Underreporting of business income alone cost the federal government $122 billion in 2006, and small businesses report less than half of their income

7-23-10fa-f1.jpg

7-23-10fa-f2.jpg7-23-10fa-f3.jpg7-23-10fa-f4.jpg

Relatively few SNAP errors represent dishonesty or fraud by recipi­ents. The overwhelming majority result from honest mistakes by recipients, eligibil­ity wor­kers, data entry clerks, or com­puter program­mers.  In recent years, states have reported that about 60 percent of the dollar value of overpay­ments and almost 90 percent of the dollar value of underpayments were their fault, rather than recipients’ fault.  Much of the rest of overpayments resulted from innocent errors by households facing a program with complex rules.

#44 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Y'all argue about nickels while the wealthy clear out the bank vault.

Around $20 trillion sits untouched in offshore tax shelters and you want me to get mad about food stamp fraud?

#45 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,377 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

teeray with his fancy data and figures, manipulating the discussion away from real people with real stories of real abuse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.