Photo
- - - - -

Unemployment down to 7.5%,Dow Industrials hits 15,000 for first time, S&P hits 1600 for first time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#49 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

figure 3 is a big assumption on the CBO's part. i mean ideally yes, you do hope the # of participants go down.

the # of those getting on food stamps have increased and trend that way. if unemployment and esp long term unemployment doesn't get better than expect that # to only go up.

#50 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

figure 3 is a big assumption on the CBO's part. i mean ideally yes, you do hope the # of participants go down.

the # of those getting on food stamps have increased and trend that way. if unemployment and esp long term unemployment doesn't get better than expect that # to only go up.

It isn't an assumption it is a projection based on economic forecasts derived from several points of data and historical context.

But that is just semantics because you are correct in your second paragraph that if unemployment and long term unemployment doesn't continue to get better it will stay on its current path.

#51 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

so do we or do we not have a problem with both disability and food stamp fraud in the US?

and i have a host of anceodtal that some just bristle at because it usually goes against the "data" they get.

in my industry i see 3 levels of fraud. food stamps, disability and getting govt assistance for mortgages. its pretty pervasive.

but its hearsay. what do i know.

Let me give you an example of why hearsay and anecdotal evidence is not very reliable.  Earlier, stirs said he knew for a fact that an employee of a friend of his gets $2,000+ dollars a month in food stamps and sells around $1,000 of them on the black market.

Only thing is, food stamps are now provided on an electronic debit card that can only be used at grocery stores and the limit is replenished to the same card every month or however often they do it.

How does a person sell $1,000 of a debit card?

#52 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

She died last year

Sorry to hear that. 

#53 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Let me give you an example of why hearsay and anecdotal evidence is not very reliable. Earlier, stirs said he knew for a fact that an employee of a friend of his gets $2,000+ dollars a month in food stamps and sells around $1,000 of them on the black market.

Only thing is, food stamps are now provided on an electronic debit card that can only be used at grocery stores and the limit is replenished to the same card every month or however often they do it.

How does a person sell $1,000 of a debit card?

It can be done. If someone applied for the card they just want cash. Get the pin# and sell the card.
There was a big ebt card ring busted in Florida.

The black market impact of stuff like this or people being paid under the table is the hardest to track and figure out the holes.

#54 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have trouble believing that anyone could get $2000 a month in food stamp benefits at all.  Who would need to spend 2 grand a month for groceries?  Maybe a family with 14 or more kids that lives in a high food cost state like Alaska or Hawaii perhaps, but thats about it. 

#55 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

It can be done. If someone applied for the card they just want cash. Get the pin# and sell the card.
There was a big ebt card ring busted in Florida.

The black market impact of stuff like this or people being paid under the table is the hardest to track and figure out the holes.

What happened in Florida is a different type of fraud than what we have been discussing.  If you are referring to the case where a convenience store owner was buying SNAP cards at a discount and then supplying their store with them, the store owners, not the SNAP recipients, were the ones committing fraud.

But you are correct that some people sell their SNAP cards for cash.  But that is different from selling portions of you monthly food stamp allowance and keeping the rest every month.  That is how I understood stirs story and that has become all but impossible with the electronic debit cards.

Once you sell that card you are pretty much done.  No more food stamps.  You may get away with reporting it missing once, but for the most part you are done.

#56 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

don't have time to highlight the important parts but here are the links i'm referring to

http://mediamatters....ed-story/193215

http://www.huffingto..._b_2971443.html

i'll come back and edit this later with the important parts in quotations if you haven't seen this post by then

e: fug it, the entire first article is important. it's a point-by-point evisceration of that bullshit "story"

I'll look into it some more. I've read several articles attempting to make it seem like a pile of poo so the audience disregards the whole piece. However, I've only found little bits and pieces that should be disregarded, not the majority of piece.

#57 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/foodstamp/

can someone explain how you can receive $2000 in food stamps given the chart presented there and what the conditions are?

#58 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Atlanta, Ga

#59 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dss/foodstamp/

can someone explain how you can receive $2000 in food stamps given the chart presented there and what the conditions are?

Yeah, but I know a guy that........

#60 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

according to http://dfcs.dhs.geor...amps-fact-sheet in 2011/2012 the maximum allowance for a family of three was $526 in Georgia, with an average of $208.  If we assume that scales linearly (...which it probably wouldn't) we could assume she is in a family of 12... Heh.