• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#286 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't believe there will be another spike in their scoring averages, like the ones you point out from Frosh to Soph, but I believe there will be improvements in other areas of their games... More efficiency and more comfort with the offense/defense, as well as more cohesion between them and their team mates, specifically Paige (let's face it, the real cog in the Carolina machine is how Paige performs)...

If the trio of Paige / Hairston / JMM can improve on their level of efficiency at both ends of the court, the rest will take care of itself... I believe there is adequate talent on the roster to fill the remaining floor spots with competent players...

Let's not underestimate the talent on the UNC bench... There are some excellent players there, particularly if they see the logical expected progression in their games you typically see from one season to the next among players at the college level...

For the incoming class, I think Hicks fits well into the Carolina scheme, and I believe many underestimate the impact Britt will have on the team, even in a backup PG role... Simply giving Paige a rest and taking some of the pressure off of him will be noticeable... Meeks will be a nice player for the Heels, but surely isn't being counted on to be an impact player this coming season...

Ultimately, I believe this team starts out as a top 15-20 team, with the potential to be a top 5-8 club as the season progresses... I'd anticipate a top 3 finish in the ACC (anything is possible in the rivalry matchups in conference and tourney play, so any of the big 3 Duke, UNC or Syracuse could win it all), and a seed in the tourney in the 3-4 range... I EXPECT them to reach at least the Sweet 16 (anything less I would be disappointed with, of course)... With some breaks (like most schools), they could make a run at a NC, but won't be favorites to do so next season... That talk will center on Kentucky and Kansas this year, because of their recruiting classes... Kentucky because of their 315 McD's All Americans they have coming in, and Kansas because of the anointed one... The focus of the 'talk' and 'expectations' from the experts will be on those clubs to begin the season... Moreso than on Duke or UNC, at least to begin with... So the added pressure of the spotlight shouldn't be as rough as it has been in some years, at least for UNC...

So, basically, to summarize, I expect significant improvement from a handful of our players... I expect a deep and talented bench... I expect a top 3 ACC finish... And I expect to be ranked anywhere from 5-15 by season's end, to be a 3-4 seed in the tourney, and reach the Sweet 16... To me, anything less is a disappointment, and anything more is a bonus...

I agree with most of what you said but I do think the loss of Bullock hurts. I don't think unc will have a problem scoring as long as JMM and PJ don't get in a slump or get injured buy like I said earlier I think their main problem is defense. L Mac and JMM are not good defenders at all, now maybe JMM puts in the work this offseason to be the defender he can be but L Mac has limitations and is a backup that will be asked to produce like a starter next season.

#287 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I agree with most of what you said but I do think the loss of Bullock hurts. I don't think unc will have a problem scoring as long as JMM and PJ don't get in a slump or get injured buy like I said earlier I think their main problem is defense. L Mac and JMM are not good defenders at all, now maybe JMM puts in the work this offseason to be the defender he can be but L Mac has limitations and is a backup that will be asked to produce like a starter next season.

Agree totally that the loss of Bullock hurts..  Also agree that LM is better suited to be a backup... 

We'll score points on most nights, and (as usual) try to outrun opponents...  It'll work more times than not, but there'll be a half dozen games next year where an opponent is shooting 65%, or we can't outrun them, etc, and we'll take a loss for it...  This will be a 24-25 win team, with 6 or 8 losses by the time things are done...

About average for UNC...  Nothing special, but nothing bad...

What I personally hope is that they're simply fun to watch...  Do they hustle?  Do they make plays?  Do they play hard?  Things like that...

#288 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

You still don't understand after I spelled it out for you, a Heels fan through and through.  Sorry, I expected you to have a higher level of thinking like I do.  Domination, as in "domination of your post players" are the exact same thing.  So to you, I quoted a post where you said something about his post play, then completely abandoned that train of thought?  Sorry bro, you must been reading too many of other Carolina fan's posts to remember follow a proper conversation.

What a douche..... I would say all Duke fans are douches but bigcatdaddy (as well as some others I assume) seems like a pretty reasonable dude

#289 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Plum lee will at best be Miles...which is good enough IMO. At worst he'll be Zoubeck. I view the C position as a wash for both unc and duke. Duke is better at maybe every other position though. Add the K factor...

#290 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

What a douche..... I would say all Duke fans are douches but bigcatdaddy (as well as some others I assume) seems like a pretty reasonable dude

Haha. Thanks. I hope that most people on here can see me as a pretty rational guy because that is what I try and be.

#291 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Haha. Thanks. I hope that most people on here can see me as a pretty rational guy because that is what I try and be.

No problem.. You actually try to debate or have a conversation without belittling someone or something (unless you and Mr. TD are going at it lol)

#292 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Plum lee will at best be Miles...which is good enough IMO. At worst he'll be Zoubeck. I view the C position as a wash for both unc and duke. Duke is better at maybe every other position though. Add the K factor...

Marshall Plumlee has no fine motor skills.  He is one of the most clutzy basketball players I have seen in a long time.  I don't see him being much more than a Zoubek at this point in his career.  There is no doubt that this year UNC has more talent at center.  Hairston is Lance Thomas 2.0, decent defense but less than worthless on the offensive side, Amile Jefferson/Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood are all too small to play the 5 against most teams.  Back to a classic coach K team, we will absolutely live and die by the 3, which I hate.  Odds of a team staying hot for 6 games against top competetion in the NCAA tourney is highly unlikely, hence the reason you need a significant post presence in most cases to have a shot at the title.

#293 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,034 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Marshall Plumlee has no fine motor skills.  He is one of the most clutzy basketball players I have seen in a long time.  I don't see him being much more than a Zoubek at this point in his career.  There is no doubt that this year UNC has more talent at center.  Hairston is Lance Thomas 2.0, decent defense but less than worthless on the offensive side, Amile Jefferson/Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood are all too small to play the 5 against most teams.  Back to a classic coach K team, we will absolutely live and die by the 3, which I hate.  Odds of a team staying hot for 6 games against top competetion in the NCAA tourney is highly unlikely, hence the reason you need a significant post presence in most cases to have a shot at the title.

This is a good post and for the most part right on the money. The rest of you duke fans with tunnel vision need to take note of this. 

#294 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,034 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

No problem.. You actually try to debate or have a conversation without belittling someone or something (unless you and Mr. TD are going at it lol)

I got better sh1t to do than try and get into pissing contests with old men on the internet.

Every thread created to discuss reasonable, relevant topics regarding UNC basketball is like a bat signal to this loser. Carolina fans attempt to discuss something of importance relative to US and this guy storms into the thread like a 9 year old with his arms crossed whining about attention and he starts crying about how awesome Duke is or what Duke is doing that is easily 1000X more important (and completely irrelevant) to what Carolina fans are  talking about. It obviously drives him crazy that UNC fans don't share the same jealous tendencies, or even remotely care about Duke. I bet he watches just as many Carolina games as he does Duke. 

Rational, classy UNC poster (like myself): UNC has a loaded schedule and I'm really liking the way Marcus Paige developed last season. That game in Syracuse next season is going to be one I have circled on my calender. 

A wild BigQueefDaddy appears...

BigQueefDaddy: HEY! But Duke is playing Syracuse, too! And we are playing them twice! And Quinn Cook is an inch taller than Marcus Paige! He's going to be able to pass the ball to Marshall Plumlee and Alex Murphy! Look at me! talk about Duke! 

Respectable, educated UNC poster(again, like myself): The front court rotation for UNC is going to be an important part of our success next year. It will be nice to take some of the pressure off of Mac. Really excited to see how Meeks and Hicks develop down the stretch. 

BigQueefDaddy: BUT ALEX MURPHY! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#295 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Marshall Plumlee has no fine motor skills. He is one of the most clutzy basketball players I have seen in a long time. I don't see him being much more than a Zoubek at this point in his career. There is no doubt that this year UNC has more talent at center. Hairston is Lance Thomas 2.0, decent defense but less than worthless on the offensive side, Amile Jefferson/Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood are all too small to play the 5 against most teams. Back to a classic coach K team, we will absolutely live and die by the 3, which I hate. Odds of a team staying hot for 6 games against top competetion in the NCAA tourney is highly unlikely, hence the reason you need a significant post presence in most cases to have a shot at the title.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Duke bigs. Jefferson, Hairston, and Parker are all big enough to play the 5. Most 5's in the college game are 6'9" or 6'10" and Jefferson, Parker, and Hairston are all around 6'9". Jefferson's weight is the only issue but I look for him to put on some good weight this offseason to be able to handle the pounding down low. It is also not going to be a live by the 3 die by the 3 team, you can expect the offense to run through the wings, whether its Parker or Hood. Plus we really don't know about Plumlee, he hurt his foot at the beginning of the year so he never really was right. If he wasn't on the court at practice he was wearing a protective boot so hopefully with him getting the surgery done he will be pain free and can actually get some work in.

#296 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

While Lance was nothing special, he was an All-ACC defender. Hairston ain't even that. Although that's just a trivial part of the post.

And while yes, Duke will shoot a ton of 3's, Sheed, Hood, and Parker are all very capable of driving/slashing/and creating their own shot.  I can't remember the last Duke team that had 3 guys capable of that.   

My thoughts on the 5 have already been stated in this thread, and I don't think a team as talented as Duke 1-4 needs a "significant" presence at all.  Just somebody in the Zoubs role to grab the offensive boards or create 2nd chance points.  Again, hardly any teams have significant presences at the 5 in today's game.  L'ville had Dieng and Behanan, but Chane is 6'6" and Dieng was limted offensively. Siva and Russ Smith, as well as smothering defense carried that squad.  Kentucky the year before obviously had Davis, while UCONN had Kemba's miracle run and the Duke team before that had nothing but Zoubs.  Before that, there were great bigs with those Florida/UNC teams, but those guys were upperclassmen for the most part.  Teams often don't have that luxury anymore. I mean just looking at last year's FInal Four, guards dominated it for the most part outside of McGary.

#297 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,034 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

While Lance was nothing special, he was an All-ACC defender. Hairston ain't even that. Although that's just a trivial part of the post.

And while yes, Duke will shoot a ton of 3's, Sheed, Hood, and Parker are all very capable of driving/slashing/and creating their own shot.  I can't remember the last Duke team that had 3 guys capable of that.   

My thoughts on the 5 have already been stated in this thread, and I don't think a team as talented as Duke 1-4 needs a "significant" presence at all.  Just somebody in the Zoubs role to grab the offensive boards or create 2nd chance points.  Again, hardly any teams have significant presences at the 5 in today's game.  L'ville had Dieng and Behanan, but Chane is 6'6" and Dieng was limted offensively. Siva and Russ Smith, as well as smothering defense carried that squad.  Kentucky the year before obviously had Davis, while UCONN had Kemba's miracle run and the Duke team before that had nothing but Zoubs.  Before that, there were great bigs with those Florida/UNC teams, but those guys were upperclassmen for the most part.  Teams often don't have that luxury anymore. I mean just looking at last year's FInal Four, guards dominated it for the most part outside of McGary.

Live by the 3, die by the 3 usually is hard to watch as a fan. It's frustrating. I watched it all last season as a UNC fan. Look at the KU/UNC game. First half, Mac doing just enough to keep future 1st round pick Withey in check. Buckets are going in. 

Second half, the size (or lack there of for UNC) and the cold shooting resulted in a big time ass beating. 

Same with the second duke game this year, Duke couldn't miss, Carolina couldn't have thrown a brick into the ocean. Result=  beat down. 

Basketball really is a simple game when it comes down to it. If you make your shots and your opposition does not, you are usually in pretty damn good shape.

That's why I always have to laugh at the haters who don't realize what a huge sigh of relief UNC fans are exhaling with Meeks and Hicks coming in next season. Sure, they are freshmen, but they were both VHT and with Hubert and James still on the roster...man it's going to be great to see what we are capable of. Not to mention the relief it's going to give our future NBA small forward JMM at the center position. A lot of UNC fans probably forgot what an offensive rebound looked like after last year lol. 

If UNC would have had a great and highly under rated player like State's Richard Howell last year...final 4 team for UNC 

#298 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,034 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

. I mean just looking at last year's FInal Four, guards dominated it for the most part outside of McGary.

That's a good point, too. Guard play is vital for a championship run. Guard play in March is like pitching in October. It wins championships.

STILL - you gotta have guys that can do the dirty work, grab boards, and provide opportunities for second chance points. Speaking from a personal perspective, the UNC teams that have won the two titles in the past 10 years have had great point guards. There is evidence of this if you watched the NBA playoffs this year. However, they still had 2 big guys down low that got them there. One, of course, may be one of the best college basketball players in history, and the other was still a future first round pick and put the team on his back in the title game. 

#299 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,034 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

What a douche..... I would say all Duke fans are douches but bigcatdaddy (as well as some others I assume) seems like a pretty reasonable dude

I try not to comment on Duke's team because for one I don't really give a crap, and two it usually starts an insult contest between people that pull for the same NFL team. Duke fans should give this a try. 

#300 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

I got better sh1t to do than try and get into pissing contests with old men on the internet.

Every thread created to discuss reasonable, relevant topics regarding UNC basketball is like a bat signal to this loser. Carolina fans attempt to discuss something of importance relative to US and this guy storms into the thread like a 9 year old with his arms crossed whining about attention and he starts crying about how awesome Duke is or what Duke is doing that is easily 1000X more important (and completely irrelevant) to what Carolina fans are  talking about. It obviously drives him crazy that UNC fans don't share the same jealous tendencies, or even remotely care about Duke. I bet he watches just as many Carolina games as he does Duke. 

Rational, classy UNC poster (like myself): UNC has a loaded schedule and I'm really liking the way Marcus Paige developed last season. That game in Syracuse next season is going to be one I have circled on my calender. 

A wild BigQueefDaddy appears...

BigQueefDaddy: HEY! But Duke is playing Syracuse, too! And we are playing them twice! And Quinn Cook is an inch taller than Marcus Paige! He's going to be able to pass the ball to Marshall Plumlee and Alex Murphy! Look at me! talk about Duke! 

Respectable, educated UNC poster(again, like myself): The front court rotation for UNC is going to be an important part of our success next year. It will be nice to take some of the pressure off of Mac. Really excited to see how Meeks and Hicks develop down the stretch. 

BigQueefDaddy: BUT ALEX MURPHY! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LMAO!

3p2a5c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.