• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#61 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

You're examples are mostly pure speculation.  Mcadoo would not have been a top 5 pick, those were just rumors from months before the draft, Henson was not even close to a top 10 pick after his freshman year (that one is just hilariously wrong), and Ed Davis is also just predraft speculation.  Barnes I will give you, he probably should have gone.

The idea that Roy lies to his players to get them to stay is laughably false.  He usually does a great job of getting them accurate information on their pro prospects to make an informed decision, he just recruits players who are willing to stay 2 or 3 seasons if they have a shot at a title.

Whatever you have to tell yourself...the top 10 of the NBA draft is typically very similar to what ends up in mock drafts, much easier to predict than the NFL draft.  So all these sites that do this every year and are relatively accurate on the picks is PURE speculation?

Recruits guys that are willing to stay 2 or 3 seasons?  In recent history the top 5 guys in almost every recruiting class are 1 and done. Look at the most recent recuriting classes:

2011: McAdoo is the only one in the top 8 of that class who has not gone pro yet.

2010: Of the top 8, Barnes, Sullinger, and Terrance Ross were only ones not to be one and done.  Ross made a bad decision, likely costing him around 10 spots in the draft.  Sullinger as well, even with his less than desired size, he still would have been a top 10 pick in that weak draft if he had gone.  He ended up going 21st in 2012.

2009: Of the top 8, Henson and Renardo Sidney(was terrible) were the only ones who weren't one and dones.

2008:Of the top 10(Davis was 10), only Davis, Samardo Samuels(terrible player, now playing in Jamaica), Scotty Hopson(now playing in Israel), Devin Ebanks(bench warmer for Lakers) were the only ones that didn't go pro after frosh season.

Fact of the matter is that the trend is there.  Roy somehow convinces these one and done calibre, top 10 players that staying in school is somehow better for them.  As an obvious Duke fan, I actually thought all of those players coming into school had allstar NBA potential.  It seems as though their growth was stunted by staying in school. 

#62 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Losing 4 all ACC players. Point remains. the 95 is probably closer to the 05 title year turnover. I guess i see losing as a 2 seed in the first round and making the NIT both as equally embarrassing. How's this for embarrassing? You could sweep us for 10 years and you'd still be behind in the series.

Coach K is 39-37 against you. 

#63 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Whatever you have to tell yourself...the top 10 of the NBA draft is typically very similar to what ends up in mock drafts, much easier to predict than the NFL draft.  So all these sites that do this every year and are relatively accurate on the picks is PURE speculation?

Recruits guys that are willing to stay 2 or 3 seasons?  In recent history the top 5 guys in almost every recruiting class are 1 and done. Look at the most recent recuriting classes:

2011: McAdoo is the only one in the top 8 of that class who has not gone pro yet.
2010: Of the top 8, Barnes, Sullinger, and Terrance Ross were only ones not to be one and done.  Ross made a bad decision, likely costing him around 10 spots in the draft.  Sullinger as well, even with his less than desired size, he still would have been a top 10 pick in that weak draft if he had gone.  He ended up going 21st in 2012.
2009: Of the top 8, Henson and Renardo Sidney(was terrible) were the only ones who weren't one and dones.
2008:Of the top 10(Davis was 10), only Davis, Samardo Samuels(terrible player, now playing in Jamaica), Scotty Hopson(now playing in Israel), Devin Ebanks(bench warmer for Lakers) were the only ones that didn't go pro after frosh season.

Fact of the matter is that the trend is there.  Roy somehow convinces these one and done calibre, top 10 players that staying in school is somehow better for them.  As an obvious Duke fan, I actually thought all of those players coming into school had allstar NBA potential.  It seems as though their growth was stunted by staying in school.

First of all, you cant call a guy one and done caliber just off his high school rating. Thats like blaming Duke for Shavlik Randolph being a disappointment- no he just sucked. Guys like John Henson are simply not one and done players, I dont care where he went to school

Second, the draft predictions are not true months ahead of time, I'm not sure if you dont pay attention to them or what but they change a lot. Players make decisions around now, the beginning of May. Last May, Perry Jones III and Jared Sullinger were both predicted to go top 10. Neither went top 20.
http://www.draftexpr...-draft-history/

The fact of the matter is, you dont know what youre talking about.

#64 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

First of all, you cant call a guy one and done caliber just off his high school rating. Thats like blaming Duke for Shavlik Randolph being a disappointment- no he just sucked. Guys like John Henson are simply not one and done players, I dont care where he went to school

Second, the draft predictions are not true months ahead of time, I'm not sure if you dont pay attention to them or what but they change a lot. Players make decisions around now, the beginning of May. Last May, Perry Jones III and Jared Sullinger were both predicted to go top 10. Neither went top 20.

The fact of the matter is, you dont know what youre talking about.

Just curious, did I say they were absolutely right 100% of the time?

#65 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Just curious, did I say they were absolutely right 100% of the time?

You put a lot more faith in them than I.

Bottom line, your idea that playing for Roy Williams somehow sabotages the careers of these future NBA all stars is completely silly

#66 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

You put a lot more faith in them than I.

Bottom line, your idea that playing for Roy Williams somehow sabotages the careers of these future NBA all stars is completely silly

I show evidence that your players are consistantly the few that don't follow the trend of being one and dones, and my idea is silly?  The only thing in common amongst all of those players who stayed longer than they should have is Roy. 4 Years in a row you had a player in the top 10 of a recruiting class, all 4 of those players stayed for their sophmore seasons while most of the rest of the top 10 in those classes went pro.  I am sure there are plenty of players that went pro that should have stayed for multiple seasons, but at the end of the day, money is money.  You strike while the iron is hot and your stock is high, thats why you see all these guys going pro after their freshman year, ready or not.  Like I said before, if any of those players had a career ending injury, the would really miss that extra money.

#67 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I show evidence that your players are consistantly the few that don't follow the trend of being one and dones, and my idea is silly?  The only thing in common amongst all of those players who stayed longer than they should have is Roy. 4 Years in a row you had a player in the top 10 of a recruiting class, all 4 of those players stayed for their sophmore seasons while most of the rest of the top 10 in those classes went pro.  I am sure there are plenty of players that went pro that should have stayed for multiple seasons, but at the end of the day, money is money.  You strike while the iron is hot and your stock is high, thats why you see all these guys going pro after their freshman year, ready or not.  Like I said before, if any of those players had a career ending injury, the would really miss that extra money.

So Roy recruits guys that want to stick around. Good, I'm glad to hear it

As to the rest of your speculation- lol

#68 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

So Roy recruits guys that want to stick around. Good, I'm glad to hear it

As to the rest of your speculation- lol

UNC reading comprehension ftw.

#69 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

I am sure there are plenty of players that went pro that should have stayed for multiple seasons, but at the end of the day, money is money.  You strike while the iron is hot and your stock is high, thats why you see all these guys going pro after their freshman year, ready or not.  Like I said before, if any of those players had a career ending injury, the would really miss that extra money.

Fine, I'll tell you exactly why you are wrong. A good NBA player can easily play into their mid-30s, and make most of their money late in their career. Sacrificing 1 or 2 seasons at the beginning of your career takes away some money, but if you actually use the time to improve as a player and prove yourself as soon as you enter the league, you can make a whole lot more money.

The problem with your perspective is that its very short-sighted. Going to college is an investment from the view of a future NBA player- you have an opportunity to get exposure and experience that you may not have if you enter the NBA and sit on the bench for a couple of years.

#70 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Losing 4 all ACC players. Point remains. the 95 is probably closer to the 05 title year turnover. I guess i see losing as a 2 seed in the first round and making the NIT both as equally embarrassing. How's this for embarrassing? You could sweep us for 10 years and you'd still be behind in the series.

So losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney is as embarrassing as not making the tourney? I don't follow that logic at all. How about this stat, Duke has spent 1,990 consecutive days in the AP Top 10 over 1,700 more days than the next closest program during that span. That's with losing guys early to the NBA and winning a title.

#71 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

So losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney is as embarrassing as not making the tourney? I don't follow that logic at all. How about this stat, Duke has spent 1,990 consecutive days in the AP Top 10 over 1,700 more days than the next closest program during that span. That's with losing guys early to the NBA and winning a title.

Context just eludes you completely so i won't address the first statement.. Who has a better all time record, more titles, and the head to head series by a large margin? UNC. In all 3 of the most important things that matter? Okay. Got it.

Back on topic: Wiggins to UNC is likely.

#72 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Coach K is 39-37 against you. 

So Duke basketball wasn't around before K got there...got it.

#73 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,178 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

His mom just said that the decision will be announced in "a week or so"

Lol dude is loving the attention.

National LOI deadline is May 15

#74 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,178 posts
  • Location704

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

I think a lot of duke fans that aren't PWT or Yankees prob had parents who went to State or are state fans.

K built duke and like I said those 4 titles speak for themselves.

#75 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I wasnt around before k got to Duke so why do I care? keep beating your chest over games played 50 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com