Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A read for the homers: Thumbs up for the Hog Mollies

34 posts in this topic

Posted

North Carolinian and fellow Panthers fan, Robert Russ (via Yardbarker.com), gives his take on the impact of the hog mollies. It's not so different than what I and others have alluded to in the Huddle, but it is a little more colorful, and thought provoking (i.e, it begs you to use your imagination). I found it mildly entertaining. I suggest reading the whole thing, but here are some excerpts:

Completely disagree with their comment on old school ground and pound. Gettleman's defensive philosophy is to stop the run and force team's to pass....then to unleash a SdL that will put constant and unrelenting pressure on the QB.

Posted

On NFL network, the crew was analyzing the draft. They thought Star would be an immediate impact player, but Short would be a longer-term project because he was inconsistent at Purdue. I totally disagree. Short was a first round selection (projection) after his junior year. He played about 30 snaps more than he should have each game. He was often double teamed. He played several games on a bad ankle in 2012.

His statistics were better than Sharrif Floyd's. What the hell are they talking about?

Short's only issue at Purdue was a lack of consolidate cry and effort. A solid rotation and vets on defense to teach him....he will get pressure on the QB this season.

Posted

Except for the whole option/pistol offense part

Option offense is about as old school as it gets.

Posted

Completely disagree with their comment on old school ground and pound. Gettleman's defensive philosophy is to stop the run and force team's to pass....then to unleash a SdL that will put constant and unrelenting pressure on the QB.

This. A dominant DL is the best defense for the passing game.

Posted

Last quote has no basis

Posted

Last quote has no basis

Never mind. He is talking about defensively.

1 person likes this

Posted

i am loving what gettleman did. it took kellen winslow sized balls to make the picks he did. 

that DL is going to be awesome. that whole front 7 is just going to be awesome. 

i can't wait for everything to get rolling. 

Posted

Option offense is about as old school as it gets.

Um yea ok

Posted

It's still going to take time. People expecting a great team this upcoming season are going to be sorely disappointed. This is a multi-year process and Gettleman knows it. 

Posted

It's still going to take time. People expecting a great team this upcoming season are going to be sorely disappointed. This is a multi-year process and Gettleman knows it. 

Great team? Maybe not. Good team, or one that is better than last year's? Yeah, I am expecting some progress.  One more thing: Last year's team could have won 3-4 more games, but for some mental lapses and choking (on the field and on the sidelines).

1 person likes this

Posted

Old school has worked for the 49ers these past two seasons.

JMO but........

when your D is "balls to the walls" you can run any type O you wish.

Posted

JMO but........

when your D is "balls to the walls" you can run any type O you wish.

Keep in my mind though, San Fran's defense isn't flawless. If the pass rush fails to get the opposing QB, then the secondary is exposed. It's why I'm not afraid Goldson being signed by Tampa.

1 person likes this