• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Completely disagree with their comment on old school ground and pound. Gettleman's defensive philosophy is to stop the run and force team's to pass....then to unleash a SdL that will put constant and unrelenting pressure on the QB.

This. A dominant DL is the best defense for the passing game.

#17 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Last quote has no basis

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Last quote has no basis

Never mind. He is talking about defensively.

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,734 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

i am loving what gettleman did. it took kellen winslow sized balls to make the picks he did. 

that DL is going to be awesome. that whole front 7 is just going to be awesome. 

i can't wait for everything to get rolling. 

#20 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Option offense is about as old school as it gets.

Um yea ok

#21 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's still going to take time. People expecting a great team this upcoming season are going to be sorely disappointed. This is a multi-year process and Gettleman knows it. 

#22 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,955 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

It's still going to take time. People expecting a great team this upcoming season are going to be sorely disappointed. This is a multi-year process and Gettleman knows it. 

Great team? Maybe not. Good team, or one that is better than last year's? Yeah, I am expecting some progress.  One more thing: Last year's team could have won 3-4 more games, but for some mental lapses and choking (on the field and on the sidelines).

#23 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Old school has worked for the 49ers these past two seasons.

JMO but........

when your D is "balls to the walls" you can run any type O you wish.

#24 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,672 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

JMO but........

when your D is "balls to the walls" you can run any type O you wish.

Keep in my mind though, San Fran's defense isn't flawless. If the pass rush fails to get the opposing QB, then the secondary is exposed. It's why I'm not afraid Goldson being signed by Tampa.

#25 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Our D-line...

Wow dude just wow

EXACTLY

With Star, Short, CJ and Hardy.. Who do you single block? Unless you bring in your tight end and a back which now limits the number of receivers. That still doesn't cover everyone.

This is going to be fun to watch.. I am sure that Saints, Falcons and Bucs are not looking at this as a serious threat. It is gonna be great to see.

What is going to be a bigger WOW factor is McDerrmott will have a stable of talent on defense. I remember his defense in 2009 game one. His defense tore Jake a new one. That Philly D was awesome. I expect to see alot more of that type of scary defense then the two previous years.

#26 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Great Defenses are built over the years. This defense has really come along. We are only adding two players to a top 10 defense from last year. This team was able to be top 10 with average to above average
DTs. The new Players are young, aggressive and better than all but one of our current DTs.

Our DC will be at the helm for year three and I believe you are going to see a far more aggressive Defense than in the past two seasons.

Don't be surprised if this is a top 5 defense.

#27 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

EXACTLY

With Star, Short, CJ and Hardy.. Who do you single block? Unless you bring in your tight end and a back which now limits the number of receivers. That still doesn't cover everyone.

This is going to be fun to watch.. I am sure that Saints, Falcons and Bucs are not looking at this as a serious threat. It is gonna be great to see.

What is going to be a bigger WOW factor is McDerrmott will have a stable of talent on defense. I remember his defense in 2009 game one. His defense tore Jake a new one. That Philly D was awesome. I expect to see alot more of that type of scary defense then the two previous years.

/

//

/

/

/

/

/

Don't forget Dwan and Alexander. We now have the capability to keep EVERYONE fresh. That will be huge in the fourth Quarter, and late in games.

I have been thinking about this for a while. With the depth we have in the front 7, what kind of games and schemes can Rivera and McD come up with? This is must see stuff I tell ya what.

#28 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

I agree. In the past McD and Rivera had to hold back. This season I see this defense reminding me of the days of Salt and Pepper and the days of Jack Del Rio's defense.

#29 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,277 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Just wana make point..

Even if Rivera doesnt work out this year, we still got Gettleman.

Give this guy some more time and he will build this defense up to be great..
Once he gets free of some cap burdens and a few more years of draft picks, i really like where we are headed!

#30 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Great Defenses are built over the years. This defense has really come along. We are only adding two players to a top 10 defense from last year. This team was able to be top 10 with average to above average
DTs. The new Players are young, aggressive and better than all but one of our current DTs.

Our DC will be at the helm for year three and I believe you are going to see a far more aggressive Defense than in the past two seasons.

Don't be surprised if this is a top 5 defense.

/

/

/

/

/

/

Ordinarilty, I would agree with your third years the charm thought. My thinking is, we have the potential to have 6 or so guys in there first or second year. Hopefully, They can catch up quickly. Because the sooner they can make an impact. The better year we will have.

I have high expectations, and my giddy is at historic levels. All because of Star and Short. Our front seven is going to be something to watch.

I don't have a prediction on where this D will finish. But it is going to be good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.