Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teams weren't offering much for williams

167 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Man...Iamhubby1 is a massive D-Will fanatic.

Dude, get the fug over it. D-Will is done in Carolina unless he takes a significant paycut which he has yet taken. DeAngelo is not irreplaceable nor is he a homerun threat. He's declining, and is being overpaid.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Good teams don't commit to old players, unless they're still producing at an elite level. Look at the Pats, they offered Welker a contract they thought was reasonable considering his recent play, and didn't budge when Denver offered him more. Packers departed from Charles Woodson and I can go on and on about how keeping old, overpaid, players isn't going to do anything but keep us at the bottom. OVERPAYING will keep us at the bottom. You don't deserve a huge contract unless you're the mainstay of your side of the ball. 

Posted · Report post

Since the NFL has a cap, and 32 FO's care how often your playmakers "go off", then yes, it matters in every sense of the word.  the problem is you aren't thinking this through..  And using your wife to compare DWill is completely irrelevant, for reasons already stated.  At his rate of "home run", you can jump off a ledge and assume Barner will do just as well.

To each their own, and yes, you are free to fully root for the Panthers as we all will, but that in itself is not going to keep him around.  

will he stick around this year?  I believe so..  Because of the cap.  Next year?  gone...

How many playoffs games have we won with homerun threat Williams?

Okay, now go back and look at our postseason runs? Stephen Davis was almost funny looking when he got into the open field.

Consistant yards aka Stewart is more valuable than Williams running in place and breaking one every 20 touches.

Williams isn't the runner he use to be or simply this not the scheme for him to be close to it

/

/

/

/

/

/

Bleys... DWill could be gone before this season even starts. Doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Other than Smitty, DWill is our only Homerun threat. I just doesn't seem like a smart move cutting the one back that can take it to the house on any given play.

CRA. Where was Stewy last year? Or the year before that? We can plug in any back and get consistent yards. You have said that yourself. You go ahead and run Cam into the ground so you can say we have a Homerun threat in the backfield.

I really do appreciate that you two have this need to prove me wrong. I just don't happen to believe you. Where it concerns RBs, DWill is our only threat. It is true because it is proven.

When, and if, Gettlemen can replace the threat that DWill brings, then he may cut him. Until then. DWill is the only RB on our roster with homerun type, playmaking ability. So go ahead and handcuff our Offense to save a few bucks.

Posted · Report post

Anyone who does not agree with this guy is a loser.

Sucks that when talking about DeAngelo we have to listen to a bunch of cap bs, discussions about how he's old, speculation that the team doesn't need him, and how we need to clear his contract money. Dude has been a great team player and hasn't shown the ability drop off and obviously plays his heart out. I choose to let the chips fall where they may, but it would be nice to see him retire a panther with his head held high. Quality player.

Posted · Report post

when people say he has a lot of mileage, they aren't just referring to his NFL career...  

lol...  

Ok... He still did it vs an NFL defense. If you think that we're better off without D-will this season then you're not that smart. Once we actually gave him the ball last year( besides that read option weak sh*t), he shined.

Posted · Report post

Yes, if Stewart missed games....we would have more than enough talent to run the ball.

answer: You can't label him a June 1 cut and go out today and use that cap space....it doesn't exist yet

Actually you can. You were allowed to cut 2 players and label them June 1 cuts.

Who Poole? The Rook? NO WAY!!! I haven't seen one play that would give me indications that we are perfectly fine if J Stew goes down and we cut Williams.

Posted · Report post

something to chew on.

williams's 2008 season is the only thing that really separates stewart's and williams's overall career stats. 

williams - 2008 = 80 games, 896 attempts for 4269 yards, 4.8 ypc, 25 tds

stewart = 71 games, 818 attempts for 3836 yards, 4.7 ypc, 27tds

a "breakout" season is the only difference between the two.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Iamhubby...where was Stewart the year prior?

He was the guy playing a higher percentage of snaps than any RB in our division. He played in all of our games and became Rivera's favorite RB....which lead to Williams losing his starter in name only title in 2012.

Yes Stewart finally missed real time in 2012....but he still with that has played in more games than Williams since Double Trouble was formed

Also, can you please quote people and not reply inside the quote....it makes talking to you difficult

Posted · Report post

you cant forget the money because it's the driving factor in this whole thing. it's their contracts that make them a necessity to move and it's their contracts that keep this team from getting better.

and again, their production can easily be replaced by much cheaper alternatives. depth isn't an issue for me because that depth can easily be replaced as well.

why didn't we unload williams? first, we hadn't drafted barner yet. two, his contract hurts us if he stays or if he goes. we have to find out what we have before we move and we have to see if it would be worth it to take the cap hit now or a lesser one later. lot's of stuff to consider, but i wouldn't buy that idea that since we haven't moved him yet doesn't mean that we aren't going to or don't have plans to because he's only getting older and more expensive. he just isn't worth keeping around.

I don't think Barner will be anywhere near a good as D'Will.

The one part I do agree either way it hurts. I believe we keep him for 2013 and let him go next year. Maybe he has a good year and we actually get some value out of him. For years we ranted and raved about Double Trouble not wearing our running backs out. So the "Age" or "Wear and Tear" don't cut it with me.

Running back as I have said 3 or 4 times is not a plug and play position. While Barner might be a good replacement in a year or so. I don't see it now.

Posted · Report post

If J-Stew goes down, then Tolbert can carry the load. He did a great job for the struggling Chargers when Mathews went down. He's not fast but he gets the tough first downs and goal line touchdowns. Tolbert is also a solid option in the passing game thanks to his above average hands.

Losing D-Will doesnt hinder this offense.

Posted · Report post

The franchise took a step in the right direction by firing Hurney and his overly sentimental ideology. The second step is to extract that from the fanbase since it's seemed to have permeated there, too.

<3

Posted · Report post

first off, and I'm not just singling one person out because far too many seem to have this issue, but we all have to get better at learning how to click outside of the quotation box...

DWill has received roughly 12 touches a game (anyone may feel free to find the actual number, but it's not far off)..  if this "home run" threat discussion had any merit, the coaches would NEVER let that happen.  

He doesn't take the ball to the house any given play...   enough said.  

Ok... He still did it vs an NFL defense. If you think that we're better off without D-will this season then you're not that smart. Once we actually gave him the ball last year( besides that read option weak sh*t), he shined.

lol..  the worst defense in NFL history?  keep on keepin on bruh...  re-read this thread and then re-analyze who isn't all too smart...