Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist The Right Pick?

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Per36 Stats (Pts/Reb/Ast)

MKG- 12.5/8.0/2.1

Barnes- 13.0/5.8/1.7

Beal- 16.0/4.4/2.8

For those that think that Barnes is that much better offensively than MKG, he scored 0.5 points per 36 mins than MKG. MKG doesn't even have a jumpshot! MKG brought down 2.2 more rebounds and dished out 0.4 more assists (consider who they have to pass to), not mention played solid defense. Barnes also has 2 years on MKG. And someone said Barnes can create his own shot and that's something we need. I'm not sure where that's coming from because Barnes is simply an athletic spot up shooter right now (sadly what I see Ben McLemore as too). I think we made the right choice out of these two.

As far as MKG vs Beal, Beal beats him in the scoring department, but the value of a good SF > the value of a good SG because it's much easier to find a solid SG than a solid SF. One of Beal's selling points was that he was considered a "combo-guard" but only dished out 2.8 assists per 36 minutes. That's not a combo-guard. At the position we were in at the time, I'd still take MKG over Beal.

Good thought.

But you gotta remember that Barnes is playing alongside Curry and Thompson whom are going to take a lot of shots. It's Curry team and especially with him being the best shooter on that team and the "PG" he has the ball awful lot in his hands. He's going to shoot when he wants to bc he can.

Though, I do agree that as of right now Barnes is nothing more than a spot up shooter. I however, disagree with you on that with McLemore. Ben do run a lot of screens to set him up for the shot but I think as an overall player he's much better than Barnes. He has amazing speed to transition end to end and score off the board. Ben can score more than one way bc the kid is so athletically gifted. He's not going to settle as just a spot up shooter.

Posted · Report post

In retrospect Drummond clearly should have been the pick, but what can you say. A lot of teams passed on him that shouldn't have. Barnes and Beal would have been fine picks too but I don't think they are clearly superior prospects. Lillard is better than any of them today but I'm not convinced that will be the case 5 years from now. We may not have gotten a home run, but outside of Drummond who was a huge question mark at the time there is nobody worth kicking ourselves over. I think we made out just fine, all things considered. 

Posted · Report post

In the "what have you done for me lately" world we live in, it is easy to say Barnes is better when he is still playing in the playoffs with Golden State and MKG's offseasn already started.  As previously mentioned, the body of work over all 82 games leans more towards MKG.  Hell, everyone is saying Steph Curry should have been in the MVP race with what he has done just in the 1st round of the playoffs.... it makes it easy to forget that he was snubbed for the all-star game this year.

Kidd-Gilchrist is going to be a great core player for our team in the future and there is no need to worry...

Posted · Report post

Per36 Stats (Pts/Reb/Ast)

MKG- 12.5/8.0/2.1

Barnes- 13.0/5.8/1.7

Beal- 16.0/4.4/2.8

For those that think that Barnes is that much better offensively than MKG, he scored 0.5 points per 36 mins than MKG. MKG doesn't even have a jumpshot! MKG brought down 2.2 more rebounds and dished out 0.4 more assists (consider who they have to pass to), not mention played solid defense. Barnes also has 2 years on MKG. And someone said Barnes can create his own shot and that's something we need. I'm not sure where that's coming from because Barnes is simply an athletic spot up shooter right now (sadly what I see Ben McLemore as too). I think we made the right choice out of these two.

As far as MKG vs Beal, Beal beats him in the scoring department, but the value of a good SF > the value of a good SG because it's much easier to find a solid SG than a solid SF. One of Beal's selling points was that he was considered a "combo-guard" but only dished out 2.8 assists per 36 minutes. That's not a combo-guard. At the position we were in at the time, I'd still take MKG over Beal.

Apples and oranges comparison.  Of course Barnes isn't scoring that much more with Golden State.  Look at the scorers on that roster.  Curry, Thompson, Lee and Jarrett Jack are scoring options that come before Barnes. When your 4th option is scoring 13 per 36, you're doing pretty well.   

Posted · Report post

Apples and oranges comparison. Of course Barnes isn't scoring that much more with Golden State. Look at the scorers on that roster. Curry, Thompson, Lee and Jarrett Jack are scoring options that come before Barnes. When your 4th option is scoring 13 per 36, you're doing pretty well.

Yea I agree.

Posted · Report post

Barnes is developing but still just missing something.

Beal is a bit too one trick guy with shooting. He does not show a natural feel for the game*

*My own definition of feel for the game is the difference between a Stephon Curry to a Montae Ellis.

Both can shoot, pass n have athletic ability.. One just can make more of the right plays(Curry) at least until he has a big lead with 3 min left in the game.

Barnes can be developed... Beal seems more Ben Gordon than Ray Allen.

Posted · Report post

He's an 18 year old kid with only 1 year college experience, no supporting cast, and being asked to guard Lebron. He will be one of the top players in the league in 5-6 years. All the top evaluators agree on that.

Posted · Report post

Apples and oranges comparison.  Of course Barnes isn't scoring that much more with Golden State.  Look at the scorers on that roster.  Curry, Thompson, Lee and Jarrett Jack are scoring options that come before Barnes. When your 4th option is scoring 13 per 36, you're doing pretty well.

Playing with those guys also opens things up for Barnes. You get a lot more open looks when the defense has to worry about 3 point shooters and competent big men

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

And nobody on the Bobcats could shoot 3's, allowing the defense to clog the middle so MKG couldn't drive. The Bobcats are also playing 4 on 5 on offense when Biz is out there. You can make arguments both ways. But thinking that Barnes is that much better (and has a brighter future) than MKG is absurd. Especially when there's a 2 year difference between the two and MKG has ZERO shot right now. You're also not considering the MASSIVE drop in production when MKG was fighting off those injuries.

But to compare "apples to apples"...

Head to head:

MKG- 14.5 pts (55%), 6.5 rebs, 2.5 asts, 1.0 blks, 1.0 stls, 2.5 fls, 1.5 turnovers

Barnes- 5.0 pts (14%), 3.0 rebs, 1.5 asts, 0.0 blks, 1.0 stls, 2.0 fls, 2.0 turnovers

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I feel like Barnes and Beal are better offensive players and better scoring options, but MKG is just the better all around player. 

Players Isolating on MKG shot 28.6% from the field.

Pick and Roll ball-handlers shot 39.5% from the field against MKG.

Players operating in the post shot 39% from the field against MKG.

All over those percentages rank much higher than Beal's or Barnes'. 

Also data shows that MKG is a much better rebounder, shot-blocker, and rim attacker than either Barnes or Beal.

I have zero doubt in my mind that, while Beal and Barnes will be good offensive weapons in the future... MKG will be the better all around player and will impact the game in more ways than Beal and Barnes. The only player that we could've drafted that would have more of an impact than MKG is Drummond (good bigs impact the game more than good guards/forwards generally), but that would've been considered a massive reach at the time. 

Posted · Report post

Playing with those guys also opens things up for Barnes. You get a lot more open looks when the defense has to worry about 3 point shooters and competent big men

But how much does he touch the ball?

Posted · Report post

But how much does he touch the ball?

His  usage % was 17.7. MKG's was 17.9.

1 person likes this

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments