#17 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Duke Energy sent me a whole case of them for free.  I won't be buying another light bulb for about 3 years.

#18 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

They are much more expensive, and in my experience, don't last as long.

Try reading. Same lightbulb, different packaging.

#19 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

It's because maybe some of us look at that packaging and laugh when CFLs packaging tells you it contains mercury.

http://www.ecy.wa.go...ight_bulbs.html

It's like the whole Ben and Jerry's dioxin controversy in the late 90s.  Ben and Jerry's preaching their "Eco-pint" packaging while the entire time having dioxin levels 2000 times what was allowed in treated drinking water. 

Want to make a difference?  Buy LED. But I'm not ready to completely outfit my entire house with LED.  Can't afford it as some incandescents have lasted years.  And for a while the LEDs threw off a shade of light I didn't particularly care for.  They have vastly improved, and I will be replacing some from time to time but I'm in no hurry. 

I also have some CFLs too.  Does the CFL with the "uber planet-saving" garb have an Hg on the box?

Maybe they should openly advertise the fact that CFLs have mercury and conservatives will buy them just so they can smash them in their backyard or something

In a study published last month on the National Bureau of Economic Research website, Dora Costa and Matthew Kahn concluded that providing feedback on energy use can actually backfire with some conservatives.

Costa and Kahn merged utility data from 80,000 homes with corresponding voter registration and donation records. The economists found that a Democratic household with green bona fides -- paying for electricity from renewable sources, donating to environmental groups and living in a neighborhood of fellow liberals -- will reduce its consumption by 3 percent in response to feedback.

Meanwhile, a Republican household that doesn't adhere to environmental behaviors will actually increase its consumption by 1 percent.

http://www.scientifi...e-saving-energy

#20 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Maybe the real idiots are the ones that accept eco/planet saving advertising while being competely ignorant of which is truly more harmful to their home. 

hard to prove which is more harmful definitively.

Increase power demands require more coal to be burned, which releases more mercury and other chemicals into the air, which then finds its way into the water. The water in the Catawba River is so bad that people are advised not to eat the fish. Keep in mind that is the water people are drinking.

CFL bulbs are only harmful in your home if you break them.

Neither is CFL or incandescent bulbs are really ideal.

LED bulbs can finally be had for under $10 if you purchase online (under $20 in stores). Hopefully within the next few years they'll be under $5. I feel like that is the threshold where most people will finally be willing to buy them.

#21 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

hard to prove which is more harmful definitively.

Increase power demands require more coal to be burned, which releases more mercury and other chemicals into the air, which then finds its way into the water. The water in the Catawba River is so bad that people are advised not to eat the fish. Keep in mind that is the water people are drinking.

CFL bulbs are only harmful in your home if you break them.

Neither is CFL or incandescent bulbs are really ideal.

LED bulbs can finally be had for under $10 if you purchase online (under $20 in stores). Hopefully within the next few years they'll be under $5. I feel like that is the threshold where most people will finally be willing to buy them.

CFLs also release mercury into the environment when they are disposed of improperly. 

I agree that while they save a ton of elecricity, CFLs are really not the best answer. 

#22 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Want to really test out things?

Do the same "study" with incandescent and LED.

#23 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Its the same with climate change denial or anything remotely related, it goes beyond healthy skepticism to partisan cheerleading bullshit. That's really all there is to it.

e: and @ the mercury arguments, the study showed that they were willing to buy the EXACT same mercury-laden bulbs, even more expensive ones, when there is a label that mentions the environment.

it boils down to politicizing something like saving the environment

#24 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Why is it so many conservatives spend so much of their time looking for evidence to justify their lizard brain dictated behavior?

#25 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,484 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Why is it so many conservatives spend so much of their time looking for evidence to justify their lizard brain dictated behavior?

Why do so many liberal democrats spend so much of their time sitting on their lazy asses waiting on their government handouts?

#26 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,298 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

lol

#27 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,348 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

You mean like those on a military pension or the elderly?

#28 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Pretty sure they worked for theirs...elderly could be means-tested/debated.

#29 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,484 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

You mean like those on a military pension or the elderly?

both of those are payments for work that was performed over many years.

I am talking more about the payments that start flowing when they turn 18 (or likely birth if you factor in the payments their parents received to raise them).....and don't stop until they die.

#30 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

CFL sucks

are we still talking about football?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com