Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC teen arrested for bringing shotguns to school by mistake... Gets full ride to Christian University...

42 posts in this topic

Posted

@ shufdog  Granted it this was ...15 years ago?

Basically kid should have.

Went straight to principle.

Said "this was an honest mistake, I want to get them off campus immediately"

Administration lets him call a parent.

Truck is watched

Guns removed under supervision.

Kid gets suspended for a week or two.

Graduates 

Life goes on.

Posted

Very responsible of him just leaving guns in his car. "Oh yeah I forgot I had those weapons with me", wtf.

If people can't drink til 21 because of lack of maturity and responsibility then I think it's fair to say they shouldn't be able to own weapons til 21.

Thats actually not a horrible idea.

As for the forgetting, when people are around guns often (hunting, sk33t, etc) they are less of a "evil menace  and more a "thing". 

Not saying you think  that, just explaining how they could be forgotten.

Go shooting late Sunday afternoon.

Head home for dinner.

Exhausted and fall asleep with guns in truck.

Etc etc.

Posted

Thats actually not a horrible idea.

As for the forgetting, when people are around guns often (hunting, sk33t, etc) they are less of a "evil menace  and more a "thing". 

Not saying you think  that, just explaining how they could be forgotten.

Go shooting late Sunday afternoon.

Head home for dinner.

Exhausted and fall asleep with guns in truck.

Etc etc.

Yeah, i have a close family member that constantly leaves guns lying his around his house and forgets them in his car, and leaves the car unlocked. He's had thousands of dollars in guns stolen and it hasn't changed his behavior. I can't stand how he is with guns. Love him to death but it's so  unsafe.

One of the many reasons I'm an advocate for regulations, stricter laws and training etc.

Posted

Yeah, i have a close family member that constantly leaves guns lying his around his house and forgets them in his car, and leaves the car unlocked. He's had thousands of dollars in guns stolen and it hasn't changed his behavior. I can't stand how he is with guns. Love him to death but it's so  unsafe.

One of the many reasons I'm an advocate for regulations, stricter laws and training etc.

Hard to regulate stupid out of the population.

Posted

Maybe though education works typically.

Posted

Growing up...nothing was thought of just going hunting early that morning and leaving it in the car during school.  Unloaded and locked in trunk though.  Who "found" the guns or was he going to the office to admit an honest mistake and trying to correct it? 

Posted

I think we have it narrowed down to a single party

Posted

Maybe though education works typically.

Education teaches you math science history etc...  It doesn't teach common sense, nor does it teach you how to react in an unusual or urgent situation.  Those things can be taught in certain circumstances, but for the most part, they are learned thru life lessons or from one's family. 

Fwiw, I know I am forgetful, and that is one of the reasons I don't own a gun.  But I did drive my car to school a couple of times with unopened beer in the back seat, realized it during the school day, and quietly went out to my car during break and covered it with my jacket.  I was late getting back to class, and had to take a tardy, which wasn't great, but still better than getting suspended for having beer on high school grounds. 

If I were the kid, I would have called my parents in a place where no one could over hear me, even if it caused me to get in trouble for being late to a class. 

Posted

Education teaches you math science history etc...  It doesn't teach common sense, nor does it teach you how to react in an unusual or urgent situation.  Those things can be taught in certain circumstances, but for the most part, they are learned thru life lessons or from one's family. 

Fwiw, I know I am forgetful, and that is one of the reasons I don't own a gun.  But I did drive my car to school a couple of times with unopened beer in the back seat, realized it during the school day, and quietly went out to my car during break and covered it with my jacket.  I was late getting back to class, and had to take a tardy, which wasn't great, but still better than getting suspended for having beer on high school grounds. 

If I were the kid, I would have called my parents in a place where no one could over hear me, even if it caused me to get in trouble for being late to a class. 

I do not agree that education is limited to specific lesson topics.