Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC teen arrested for bringing shotguns to school by mistake... Gets full ride to Christian University...

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I do not agree that education is limited to specific lesson topics.

It might teach you other things, but it will not teach you common sense, nor how to make decisions in a crisis situation. 

Posted · Report post

It might teach you other things, but it will not teach you common sense, nor how to make decisions in a crisis situation. 

I think you can teach safe driving, defensive driving etc. I think the same can be done with weapons. 

It will take time and effort but I think it's important to do.

Posted · Report post

I think you can teach safe driving, defensive driving etc. I think the same can be done with weapons. 

It will take time and effort but I think it's important to do.

No doubt those things can be taught.  And indeed, gun safety should be taught to anyone that owns a gun.  Although I think that if you are the kind that tends to be absent minded (as I can be at times), its difficult to learn not to be absent minded.  Which is why I wouldn't own a gun.  To much chance of me forgetting to put it up.   

I was thinking more about the young man's decision making process, once he realized the guns were still in his truck.  Calling his mom within earshot of school staff was not a good decision.  :)

Posted · Report post

Many times I had a gun in my truck during school hours, it was wrong, but I would go hunting in the mornings before the bell.

I would wrap it up in a blanket and leave it in the very back of my truck, and never say a word about it.

Thanks goodness I never got in trouble.

Posted · Report post

Lesson learned.  When you make an honest mistake, say nothing and hope you aren't caught.

We should prosecute more potential crime.  That would stop all crime eventually