Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

If Kenjon Barner shows competence, is Deangelo gone on June 1?

Carolina Panthers Training Camp

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#46 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,785 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't think we cut him. the ultimate scenario would be to trade him partway into the season to a team with injuries at the position if we've seen barner's capable and stew's healthy at that point in the season

#47 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

DWill needs to be cut either way.

That said Del is right, if he could pass protect he would have probably gone higher in the draft.

#48 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Deangelo-4.3 yards per carry last season
Stewart-3.6 yards per carry last season
Tolbert-3.4 yards per carry last season

You could argue that Stewart was hurt but that's all the more reason to keep Dwill on the team. We are better team with him than without him.

one game distorts an awful lot...going into week 17, williams averaged 3.5ypc

#49 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Williams will be on the opening day roster, baring an unforeseen trade.

#50 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

we have to see if barner is fumble prone or not in the pros. goodson probably would have replaced williams had he not fumbled every other carry.

#51 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's weird really....

Williams has 2000 APY and 14 TDs and Stewart has 1600 APY and 7 TDs in the last 2 years and Williams has almost a full YPC more than Stewart last year and they had the exact same YPC in 2011.

so...I really have no idea why Stewart saw the field more...it's baffling.

Stewart saw the field more in 2011 bc he allowed the O to be more diverse. Pretty simple.

Stewart was hurt last year....on top of the Saints games GREATLY distorting what Willams was. Stewart was better even gimpy in games in 2012 that didn't involve the worst D in the history of the game

#52 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Barner isn't good enough right now to supplant Williams. Personally though I think Stewart and Tolbert are good enough to let DWill walk and just let Barner have a couple carries a game.

Eventually Stewart is going to be the soul #1 RB and I think his time is now. I love Deangelo, he's been one of my favorite guys but the money we could get by cutting him could land us a decent lineman so Cam doesn't get destroyed. Or Dallas Clark etc...

I don't think we should let DWill walk because of declining ability. I don't he's changed much since 2008, the speed is still there. We just had garbage playcalling and a offensive line that was a joke compared to the 08-09 group. He's still a very dangerous weapon, it's just a numbers game.

#53 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Barner isn't good enough right now to supplant Williams. Personally thought I think Stewart and Tolbert are good enough to let DWill walk and just let Barner have a couple carries a game.

Eventually Stewart is going to be the soul #1 RB and I think his time is now. I love Deangelo, he's been one of my favorite guys but the money we could get by cutting him could land us a decent lineman so Cam doesn't get destroyed. Or Dallas Clark etc...

You haven't seen him yet run....

Nor have you seen the 30 yr old version of Williams

If Williams is a lesser version of what we saw last year in non Saints games....can anyone legitimately say he we shouldn't just cut him?

#54 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

If we can't trade him for anything decent or save enough money by cutting him, I have no issue keeping him around.  Maybe cut lose with him in 2014.  

#55 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

If we can't trade him for anything decent or save enough money by cutting him, I have no issue keeping him around. Maybe cut lose with him in 2014.

We can generate millions of dollars of cap space we can use this season

#56 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

We can generate millions of dollars of cap space we can use this season

Its more cost efficient imo to dump him next year from my perspective.  Also, we have enough cap to make a signing or two unless there's someone they're targeting that will require a lot of room...which hasn't been Gettleman's mantra so far.    

#57 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

You haven't seen him yet run....

Nor have you seen the 30 yr old version of Williams

If Williams is a lesser version of what we saw last year in non Saints games....can anyone legitimately say he we shouldn't just cut him?

It's hard to say that because it's not like any of our RB's had a great year last year. Cam also takes carries away from those guys.

WIlliams has been sharing the load for a while now and has had some rest here and there with IR. I don't buy the fact that he just turned 30 means he suddenly became a scrub RB that no one wants. He's not wanted because he costs too much, not because he's not good. I'm not a professional scout and I'm not claiming I know for a fact that Williams is declining or not but judging from the eye test he doesn't look that much different. He still has some good years in him.

#58 Cj72

Cj72

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Then why for the past 2 years do they think Stewart should see the field more than Williams?

Not that i really disagree with you but they also thought it was a good idea to call a timeout so the saints could kick a field goal and to punt to atlanta...

#59 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Someone help me out..

I thought cutting DeAngelo did nothing in terms of relieving cap this year.

#60 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Its more cost efficient imo to dump him next year from my perspective. Also, we have enough cap to make a signing or two unless there's someone they're targeting that will require a lot of room...which hasn't been Gettleman's mantra so far.

Yes....but in the NFL you can't part with guys only on the year that is most ideal. If a legit CB, S, or RG could be brought in to start...I'd take that this year.

We got enough other guys to worry about axing next offseason

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Training Camp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com