Photo
- - - - -

NC Republicans pass bill forcing teenagers to get parental permission to treat STDs and mental illness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Just passed committee and will be in the full House soon.

Basically, it is a bill that encourages teenagers to not get treatments for STDs and mental illness which will make them likely to get more sick and will increase the spread of STDs.

Yes more kid's health will be in danger.  But FAMILY VALUES!1!1!!

I swear I am not trying to pick on our Legislature.  I have a lot of respect for that body.  But geebus they are processing some truly terrible legislation and we are quickly becoming a laughing stock across the country.

http://www.newsobser...-requiring.html

RALEIGH — Parents would have to give their teenagers permission before they could receive birth control or be treated for sexually transmitted diseases, substance abuse or mental illness, under a bill approved in a House committee on Tuesday.

Opponents said it would be the most restrictive law in the nation and would put teenagers’ health in danger. Supporters say the intention is to restore parental control over their children’s lives.

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,133 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

unless something major changes i think mcrory will go down as the last republican i've voted for

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Me too.  It is a shame.  I worked with and had a lot of respect for Thom Tillis as well, so it makes me a bit bummed how he has ran the House since becoming Speaker.

Good guy.  But seems to be a terrible Speaker.  There are rumblings that Tillis will challenge Hagan for the US Senate too.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,556 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

this is tough. as a parent i want to be as involved as possible. we are assuming that the worst of the worst parents are at play here and if their kid finds out they will not get help. i don't know.

i would need to look at various pieces of data. what is the trend of std's? demographics and socioeconomic status.

there has to be something driving this. i don't think its a casual uber right wingers yo.

again. the way i visualize and connect dots, i would like to be able to access some trends and costs and such and see if there is traction here.

not saying this is a wise bill. but i would prefer a way to parse some info much deeper.

#5 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Do you ever critique Repubs ....as a totally groovy independent that is

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,556 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

i do. i give my two cents when things are dumb. in the one about guns did i not say it was a dumb bill?

just because i don't instantly latch on to a post/thread doesn't mean im for or against something. i like to go a bit deeper and see more cause and effect before i post my gif of the day.

#7 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,960 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Since all Repubs have an armament consisting of at least 5 assault rifles and 10k rounds of armor piercing ammo shouldn't they know there's a blood thirsty psycho in the house?

#8 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,343 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

passing committee = passing bill?

#9 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

this is tough. as a parent i want to be as involved as possible. we are assuming that the worst of the worst parents are at play here and if their kid finds out they will not get help. i don't know.

i would need to look at various pieces of data. what is the trend of std's? demographics and socioeconomic status.

there has to be something driving this. i don't think its a casual uber right wingers yo.

again. the way i visualize and connect dots, i would like to be able to access some trends and costs and such and see if there is traction here.

not saying this is a wise bill. but i would prefer a way to parse some info much deeper.

What I am assuming is that if teenagers get an STD they won't get tested or get  treatment because they won't want to get in trouble with their parents.  That will spread STD more rapidly and they will get more sick from the STDs they are carrying.

I will try and find something specific to NC but in general I can tell you that cases of STDs are rising across the country and that NC is amongst the worst in the nation in diagnosed STDs.

The prevalent demographics is that general African Americans have the highest rate of STDs and generally the poor have the highest rate of STDs and most STDs occur in people between the ages of 15-24

My issue is that this bill will make those numbers worse and not better in my opinion.

#10 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

passing committee = passing bill?

Yes.  You have to pass a bill in committee to move it forward, just like you have to pass a bill in the full House to move it forward to the Governor or the other body.

But I understand what you are saying, which is why my first sentence in the OP was that it passed committee and will be going to the full House.

I could have worded the title better though.

#11 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,556 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

What I am assuming is that if teenagers get an STD they won't get tested or get  treatment because they won't want to get in trouble with their parents.  That will spread STD more rapidly and they will get more sick from the STDs they are carrying.

I will try and find something specific to NC but in general I can tell you that cases of STDs are rising across the country and that NC is amongst the worst in the nation in diagnosed STDs.

The prevalent demographics is that general African Americans have the highest rate of STDs and generally the poor have the highest rate of STDs and most STDs occur in people between the ages of 15-24

My issue is that this bill will make those numbers worse and not better in my opinion.

so its going up with the current system/rules/laws in place. thats precisely what i mean.

now this needs to be drilled down to even further to find the truly best method to offset the rise. makine parents have to show up with their kids? meh, maybe.

good work teeray.

#12 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

so its going up with the current system/rules/laws in place. thats precisely what i mean.

now this needs to be drilled down to even further to find the truly best method to offset the rise. makine parents have to show up with their kids? meh, maybe.

good work teeray.

Yes. And you have a good point but this is where this gets tricky so let me make a counterpoint.

I will phrase it like a Fox News journalist.  Some would say ;) that the reason STDs are rising nationwide is because of advances in technology that have made improvements in the ability for doctors to diagnose these STDs.

Also, some would say that because of our current policies in NC young people are more willing to get tested for STDs which is the reason our STD statistics are so high as compared to other states.

So the beauty (for lack of a better term) of this bill if it goes all the way and becomes law, will be you could actually see a decrease in diagnosed STDs simply because teenagers will be less willing to get tested for them so we could see improvements in our STD statistics even if there are no real improvements or even if it gets worse. 

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

pstall I admire your quest to find the truth but seriously, when was the last time a Republican body ever passed a law concerning human sexuality that relied on statistics and the best interest of the person who is facing whatever issue is raised instead of religious pandering?

#14 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,133 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Do you ever critique Repubs ....as a totally groovy independent that is

Yes, he critiques both sides all the time

#15 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,556 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

well i do. im not a lap dog for either party they way some of you are.

you could have the planet Objectivia hit you and still be a lemming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com