Photo
- - - - -

NC Republicans pass bill forcing teenagers to get parental permission to treat STDs and mental illness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't think there's a poster in here that is objective.

The least of all you or I...

Maybe Bronn but he has a neck beard and therefor cannot be trusted

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,181 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

exactly. so i don't get this fascination with my bad reps good reps, bad dems good dems ratio.

if its a good idea, no matter from whom. i try to give credit. transversely if its bad. i try to say it as well.

and to volley back to teeray. you could also say more and more teens are having unprotected sex despite all the info out there on it and access to meds etc already.

i mean google would have come in real handy for some friends of mine back in the day.

#18 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am torn on this bill.

On one hand....as a parent, I want to be involved as much as possible in my kids lives. I hope and believed that I have raised them well enough that they feel they can trust me about issues like this. Knowing that we would work through anything that happened.

But on the other hand...I could see where this law would cause many kids to not seek treatment because if how their parents would react.

I think the intent is there. But may have unwanted consequences.

This one is tough for me.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

It shouldn't be. You want them to come to you which is great and I hope they do, but this is about the kids that can't, and they would try and hide the problem from everyone instead of getting it corrected.

I hope you would rather your daughter get treatment for a sickness on her own than not at all.

#20 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

It shouldn't be. You want them to come to you which is great and I hope they do, but this is about the kids that can't, and they would try and hide the problem from everyone instead of getting it corrected.

I hope you would rather your daughter get treatment for a sickness on her own than not at all.

I absolutely would.

But I also know that there may be many kids who would have sex more freely if they knew they could get treatment without their parents knowing.  On the flip side, some would not risk it because they don't want their parents to find out.

that being said....I still want to know and have a say in my underage kids having medical treatment.

I understand the point about other kids....I am just looking at this very selfishly.

#21 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I absolutely would.

But I also know that there may be many kids who would have sex more freely if they knew they could get treatment without their parents knowing.  On the flip side, some would not risk it because they don't want their parents to find out.

that being said....I still want to know and have a say in my underage kids having medical treatment.

I understand the point about other kids....I am just looking at this very selfishly.

Kids don't think into things that much. I sure as poo never thought about the availability of treatment before I stuck it in. Preventing STDs yes, but you don't go into sex with the anticipation that you will get an STD.

This legislation has no positive benefit to society. This is trying to legislate a perfect world, but that is not realistic or attainable.

#22 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,956 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I am sensing Mcrory is really trying to make an impact to be possibly be groomed quickly for the next GOP canidate. The policies he seems to support will make him a hero in his circles and target him as a guy who can get crazy policies passed.

He is a likable guy and you have to make a quick rise now with little track record to scrutinize.

If my daughter got an STD I would have course be disappointed...if she never got it treated or waited Id be furious...my permission or not.

No parents anger will change the situation and this bill is just so 1950.

#23 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,956 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I absolutely would.

But I also know that there may be many kids who would have sex more freely if they knew they could get treatment without their parents knowing. On the flip side, some would not risk it because they don't want their parents to find out.

I am just looking at this very selfishly.

So you are saying teens think like this: if I get a STD n the laws of my state say I will not have to inform my parents, i will go ahead and have more sex today or hey yeah i'll go ahead and try it this weird way..my parents won't know....WHAT?!? Who thinks like this? Simple answer: no one!

The kids who go ahead and engage in risky behaviors usually do not seek the opinion of their parents or foresee past the moment anyway.

As a dad it would be nice that you are the final say but to demand and expect that behaviors will not happen without your medical consent is a bit dellusional.

#24 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

unless something major changes i think mcrory will go down as the last republican i've voted for

I was just having a similar conversation with my brother. We both regret voting for him. Makes you wanna just pull straight ticket since they just go over to their party lines anyways and we're both more dem than republican so

#25 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

Just as it isn't government's job to force sex education, nor is it government's job to protect the moral stature of those same children. Those are the purview of the parent.

#26 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

So you are saying teens think like this: if I get a STD n the laws of my state say I will not have to inform my parents, i will go ahead and have more sex today or hey yeah i'll go ahead and try it this weird way..my parents won't know....WHAT?!? Who thinks like this? Simple answer: no one!

The kids who go ahead and engage in risky behaviors usually do not seek the opinion of their parents or foresee past the moment anyway.

As a dad it would be nice that you are the final say but to demand and expect that behaviors will not happen without your medical consent is a bit dellusional.

I know my kids pretty well.  If they thought that I woudl not find out about certain things, they definitely would be more apt to engage in that behavior.  The fear of me finding out is a big deterant to them.

Lastly, as a parent I absolutely feel it is my right to be involved in the decision for medical treatment of my "underage" children.  I do not want the government saying that I have no say in my kids seeking medical treatment.

They need to stay out of this area.  They are intruding on parental rights.

#27 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I am sensing Mcrory is really trying to make an impact to be possibly be groomed quickly for the next GOP canidate. The policies he seems to support will make him a hero in his circles and target him as a guy who can get crazy policies passed.

He is a likable guy and you have to make a quick rise now with little track record to scrutinize.

If my daughter got an STD I would have course be disappointed...if she never got it treated or waited Id be furious...my permission or not.

No parents anger will change the situation and this bill is just so 1950.

Ding ding. 

#28 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

see, the thing is, I think the intimidation/fear angle only works on the situation itself and rarely applies to forethought.  Kids might be afraid to tell you about the fact they *had* sex, or might be deterred from *having* sex, but getting an STD from sex isn't a choice kids see themselves as making I think.  This law makes it so that parental permission must be acquired for *treatment*.  The way I see it, if kids are inspired by fear not to do certain things because parents may find out, what they'll do now is avoid getting treatment for an STD - because that's what is where the legislation is requiring parental permission.

I do not think this will seriously reduce the number of kids that have unprotected sex.  It is requiring a hell of a lot of forethought for the part of teenagers.  While STDs are worries, I think that most people don't consider treatment options before they get them - they worry about how to prevent them - so if kids are already at a point where they are considering treatment, they are past the point where we're stopping them from having sex with fear.

#29 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,181 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I agree mav. The only possible benefit I can see and its a sliver is that say the kid is now sitting with his folks and the doc. If anything a good conversation can happen and perhaps this is a one off.
Stds seem to be trending up and if the repercussion of an std isn't enough to alter risky behavior then maybe the mere thought you catch something and if its so bad you finally go to the doc and he tells your parents then maybe its enough of a hassle to avoid altogether. Maybe. Maybe not.

And let's not give kids little credit on understanding the risks. They have so much at their fingertips on stds.

If things were trending down I might see this dif. I'm still torn tho because I totally agree that facing mom might be so shameful a kid just messes up and contracts something and just deals with it. Then who knows after that.

#30 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Get out of my bedroom, and get out of my wallet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com