Photo
- - - - -

NC Republicans pass bill forcing teenagers to get parental permission to treat STDs and mental illness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

What I am assuming is that if teenagers get an STD they won't get tested or get  treatment because they won't want to get in trouble with their parents.  That will spread STD more rapidly and they will get more sick from the STDs they are carrying.

I will try and find something specific to NC but in general I can tell you that cases of STDs are rising across the country and that NC is amongst the worst in the nation in diagnosed STDs.

The prevalent demographics is that general African Americans have the highest rate of STDs and generally the poor have the highest rate of STDs and most STDs occur in people between the ages of 15-24

My issue is that this bill will make those numbers worse and not better in my opinion.

so its going up with the current system/rules/laws in place. thats precisely what i mean.

now this needs to be drilled down to even further to find the truly best method to offset the rise. makine parents have to show up with their kids? meh, maybe.

good work teeray.

#12 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

so its going up with the current system/rules/laws in place. thats precisely what i mean.

now this needs to be drilled down to even further to find the truly best method to offset the rise. makine parents have to show up with their kids? meh, maybe.

good work teeray.

Yes. And you have a good point but this is where this gets tricky so let me make a counterpoint.

I will phrase it like a Fox News journalist.  Some would say ;) that the reason STDs are rising nationwide is because of advances in technology that have made improvements in the ability for doctors to diagnose these STDs.

Also, some would say that because of our current policies in NC young people are more willing to get tested for STDs which is the reason our STD statistics are so high as compared to other states.

So the beauty (for lack of a better term) of this bill if it goes all the way and becomes law, will be you could actually see a decrease in diagnosed STDs simply because teenagers will be less willing to get tested for them so we could see improvements in our STD statistics even if there are no real improvements or even if it gets worse. 

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

pstall I admire your quest to find the truth but seriously, when was the last time a Republican body ever passed a law concerning human sexuality that relied on statistics and the best interest of the person who is facing whatever issue is raised instead of religious pandering?

#14 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Do you ever critique Repubs ....as a totally groovy independent that is

Yes, he critiques both sides all the time

#15 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

well i do. im not a lap dog for either party they way some of you are.

you could have the planet Objectivia hit you and still be a lemming.

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't think there's a poster in here that is objective.

The least of all you or I...

Maybe Bronn but he has a neck beard and therefor cannot be trusted

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

exactly. so i don't get this fascination with my bad reps good reps, bad dems good dems ratio.

if its a good idea, no matter from whom. i try to give credit. transversely if its bad. i try to say it as well.

and to volley back to teeray. you could also say more and more teens are having unprotected sex despite all the info out there on it and access to meds etc already.

i mean google would have come in real handy for some friends of mine back in the day.

#18 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am torn on this bill.

On one hand....as a parent, I want to be involved as much as possible in my kids lives. I hope and believed that I have raised them well enough that they feel they can trust me about issues like this. Knowing that we would work through anything that happened.

But on the other hand...I could see where this law would cause many kids to not seek treatment because if how their parents would react.

I think the intent is there. But may have unwanted consequences.

This one is tough for me.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

It shouldn't be. You want them to come to you which is great and I hope they do, but this is about the kids that can't, and they would try and hide the problem from everyone instead of getting it corrected.

I hope you would rather your daughter get treatment for a sickness on her own than not at all.

• Cat PIE'd this

#20 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

It shouldn't be. You want them to come to you which is great and I hope they do, but this is about the kids that can't, and they would try and hide the problem from everyone instead of getting it corrected.

I hope you would rather your daughter get treatment for a sickness on her own than not at all.

I absolutely would.

But I also know that there may be many kids who would have sex more freely if they knew they could get treatment without their parents knowing.  On the flip side, some would not risk it because they don't want their parents to find out.

that being said....I still want to know and have a say in my underage kids having medical treatment.

I understand the point about other kids....I am just looking at this very selfishly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users