Photo
- - - - -

Gregg Doyel rips Narwocki and other draft media coverage (Cam mention)

Best Answer Marguide, 08 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Honestly, I don't even like to think about that time anymore. The Huddle was at a level of alltime bullshit! Some of the most respected Huddlers got afflicted with Nawrocki-itis. Hopefully we all learned many lessons, the least of which is that Nawrocki needs to get new sources. The guy lost all credibility as far as I am concerned.

But we shouldn't blame Nawrocki because all he is doing is reporting what scouts pass on to him. Right? Or at least the argument goes something like that.

Nawrocki is a hack, pure and simple. Why anyone would pay any attention to him is beyond me, and it is even more perplexing that a few Huddler's race to his defense every time his name is brought up.

I'm sure some will tell us how unfair it is to question Nolan's motivations and biases, but he sure doesn't seem to have any problem doing it with the young men he "analyzes" so turnabout is fair play. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,666 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

First off i pretty much hate Gregg Doyel.  He is like Adam Schein in that he is a rabble-rouser and passes that off as something relevant and thought provoking.  Truth is he is just an asshole.

Having said that I think he hit the nail squarely on the head on this one.

http://www.cbssports...them-believable

How, in a matter of months, did Geno Smith devolve from a humble, smart, hard-working kid at West Virginia to the scourge of the 2013 draft -- a cocky, disinterested, future flop in the NFL?

It started with Nolan Nawrocki. Well, it did. He's the guy from that scouting service who ambushed Cam Newton before the 2011 draft as being "disingenuous" and having a "fake smile" and then getting to the actual football by writing that Newton "will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor."

Cam Newton was the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2011. He went to the Pro Bowl, threw for 4,051 yards, ran for 708 yards. And then he put up similar numbers in 2012.

Glaring bust, my ass.

Undeterred, Nawrocki went in on Geno Smith this year, predicting Smith would "be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities [because he] did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board [and is] not a student of the game."

Translation: Geno Smith is lazy and not very smart.

We don't know Nawrocki's sources, but we know the sources for these stories about Geno Smith from this past season at West Virginia, one in the Washington Post and another in the New York Times. According to these stories Geno Smith is academically gifted, so smart that teachers offered to let him skip a grade in elementary school. By high school Smith was reading to hospital patients and working with teammates to help clean streets in Miramar, Fla.

Bad kid, Geno Smith? He sounds damn near perfect. He played chess. Wrote poetry. Won an oratorical contest by reciting a poem by Langston Hughes. And West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson told the Post that Smith studied more film than any quarterback he'd ever seen.

But that's not the real Geno Smith, we're supposed to believe. And again, maybe it's not. Maybe he changed before the draft. Maybe stardom got to him. I'm not telling you it didn't happen; I'm telling you, I don't believe it happened just because anonymous sources with their own, unknown motivations say it did. My theory on this stuff? If you're going to rip somebody, put your name on it or shut the hell up. Anything less than full disclosure forces us to fill in the gaps, and I fill them in like so:

I don't believe you.

#2 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

i now hope Geno Smith does well in NY- just not against us :)

#3 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I still cannot believe some of these guys still have jobs.  This year, the analysts missed on every single pick in the draft except the top two picks!  I would love for them to have to directly address their misses following break-out, rookie campaigns by players they shite on like this.

#4 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

We don't know Nawrocki's sources

david-duke.jpeg

call it a hunch

#5 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Doyel and Schein are both media guys, not football guys. It's basically fratricide; not that I mind in the least, mind you.

#6 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

I still cannot believe some of these guys still have jobs.  This year, the analysts missed on every single pick in the draft except the top two picks!  I would love for them to have to directly address their misses following break-out, rookie campaigns by players they shite on like this.

well in fairness to the pundits, Miami traded up to the third spot out of nowhere and just screwed up everything...

#7 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,432 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Either right before the draft or at the start, Trent Dilfer all but called Nawrocki an ignorant little bitch who needs to let people who have played the game discuss football.

#8 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,685 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Good stuff

#9 jamos14

jamos14

The Huddle Beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Most of the NFL coverage by media is worthless now.  The only real observations on X's and O's, game tape, etc is coming from PFW, Walter Football, and other small scouting webpages.

#10 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

I actually think Geno will struggle (at least early on).

His handling of the draft day situation showed very little maturity and an inability to handle pressure/stress.

I understand that he was disappointed, but you have to know better than to act and react the way that he did.

I hope he gets time to sit and learn.....because the NY media will eat that kid alive if he struggles early on.

#11 Who Said What?

Who Said What?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationEverybody knows Carolina's my home

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

well in fairness to the pundits, Miami traded up to the third spot out of nowhere and just screwed up everything...

Yeah, but they said if they traded up it would be for one of the tackles.  They wanted to ressurect the days of 99.

#12 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Nawrocki reminds me of a lot of huddlers. Jump to conclusions without considering that there is a person there that you're talking about. They still do people things. . like eat poo sleep. . get tired, get cranky, get headaches, get heartbroken, get mad, get sad.

#13 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,030 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I love me some Dilfer.

Trent acknowledges that Geno has his issues in the passing game and took the first day of the draft too personally but Smith is far from a bad kid and prospect. The criticism he's taking is absurd.

Prove them wrong Geno!

#14 PrimeTyme

PrimeTyme

The Greatest!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

I hope Geno gets to sit and learn, he is in a very difficult situation

btw.. an anonymous source told me Gregg Doyel likes to sit on dildos while he writes his articles

#15 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,182 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Honestly, I don't even like to think about that time anymore. The Huddle was at a level of alltime bullshit! Some of the most respected Huddlers got afflicted with Nawrocki-itis. Hopefully we all learned many lessons, the least of which is that Nawrocki needs to get new sources. The guy lost all credibility as far as I am concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com