Photo
- - - - -

Obama admin, CMS release charges from various hospitals.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Pretty incredible data showing what different hospitals charge for the same procedures.  Gotta love for-profit healthcare.

As part of the Obama administration’s work to make our health care system more affordable and accountable, data are being released that show significant variation across the country and within communities in what hospitals charge for common inpatient services.

http://www.cms.gov/R...Data/index.html

In the District, George Washington University’s average bill for a patient on a ventilator was $115,000, while Providence Hospital’s average charge for the same service was just under $53,000. For a lower joint replacement, George Washington University charged almost $69,000 compared with Sibley Memorial Hospital’s average of just under $30,000.

Treating a simple case of pneumonia, with no complications, cost $124,051 in Philadelphia and $5,093 in Water Valley, Miss., with an average charge of $24,549.

Experts attribute the disparities to a health system that can set prices with impunity because consumers rarely see them — and rarely shop for discounts. Although the government has collected this information for years, it was housed in a bulky database that researchers had to pay to access.

http://www.washingto...-another-38000/

#2 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,668 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think Paul Ryan was pushing for the consumer to be able to see the price BEFORE someone goes to the hospital which could be good. Not saying he is the only one who may have come up with the idea but he seems to stand out on this.

But deficits don't matter to some so I still don't get the argument of healthcare.

#3 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Brain cancer surgery at hospital X versus Duke University. 

Do you really think people shop something like that around?  Hip replacement?  Maybe.  But in today's world, everyone expects the top tiered quality healthcare.

#4 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think Paul Ryan was pushing for the consumer to be able to see the price BEFORE someone goes to the hospital which could be good. Not saying he is the only one who may have come up with the idea but he seems to stand out on this.

wow what a total non-idea

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Brain cancer surgery at hospital X versus Duke University. 

Do you really think people shop something like that around?  Hip replacement?  Maybe.  But in today's world, everyone expects the top tiered quality healthcare.

For emergencies, that require immediate attention, no. For something like cancer treatment, yes. They're going to pick the hospital with the greatest rate of success.

Unfortunately cost is not always tied to quality. Some hospitals charge significantly more because they have a monopoly or a near monopoly on healthcare in their area.  I don't think that is right.

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,668 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

For emergencies, that require immediate attention, no. For something like cancer treatment, yes. They're going to pick the hospital with the greatest rate of success.

Unfortunately cost is not always tied to quality. Some hospitals charge significantly more because they have a monopoly or a near monopoly on healthcare in their area.  I don't think that is right.

correct. now if they had their prices in the local paper or you go online and like checking out a menu you go oh wait. thats a bit much.

suddenly their costs/fees go down because people stop showing up.

supply and demand and such.

#7 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,647 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Leave it to the Obama administration to kindle a free market principle in the healthcare industry.

Commie bastards

#8 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

This is great and I'm all for disclosing prices but if you shop for your healthcare based on price we should say our goodbyes now

#9 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

This is great and I'm all for disclosing prices but if you shop for your healthcare based on price we should say our goodbyes now

Seriously?

If Box A charges 75$ for a Z pac, and Box B charges 75$ for a Z pac, why not go to Box B?

I would love to know what someone charges for a random Dr. visit for the flu or sinus infection.

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Rural areas really don't have a choice. 

I'd like to see the indigent care write-off amounts too. 

#11 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Would you rather have a doctor that is motivated by the thought of owning another Bentley or one motivated by wanting to help people?

#12 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Seriously?

If Box A charges 75$ for a Z pac, and Box B charges 75$ for a Z pac, why not go to Box B?

I would love to know what someone charges for a random Dr. visit for the flu or sinus infection.

Yes goodbye. If you choose your healthcare based solely on prices then you are going to get what you pay for from a care perspective...roll the dice with your own life :)

There's a reason there's a market for Motel 8's, Hampton Inns, Doubletrees, and Ritz Carltons. You pay for what you get. There is more to a hospital/medical groups and their healthcare offerings than simply cost...

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Would you rather have a doctor that is motivated by the thought of owning another Bentley or one motivated by wanting to help people?

You want the guy good enough to buy whatever the hell he wants because he's that good.  Especially onstaff hospital docs. 

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I would rather have the best doctor possible. talent =/= motivation or desire

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,305 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

NC Senate bill 473...

http://www.wral.com/...bills/12430169/

Raleigh, N.C. — Patients and their employers would be able to compare prices for various medical procedures upfront under a bill that the state Senate passed unanimously Thursday.

Senate Bill 473 would require hospitals to outline the costs they would charge to someone without insurance, as well as to people covered by Medicaid, Medicare, the State Health Plan and the range of rates negotiated with insurers.

The information would be provided quarterly to the state Department of Health and Human Services, starting next March, for the 100 most common inpatient and outpatient procedures. The state would then make those figures publicly available.

Thank you NC Senate...and I'm sure McCrory will sign once House passes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.