Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you feel about our saftey position?

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Godfrey went to SS b/c he sucked giant donkey balls at FS.  Godfrey sucks in space....both in coverage and as a tackler.  He is more geared to be a SS....b/c he play near the line, blitz, and try to flesh bomb.

Rivera praises guys who try all the time.  Godfrey isn't a FS....we have seen that.

That's true, but it's been a couple years and Martin didn't pan out after showing early promise. FS is all about instincts where the SS has many more responsibilities. Godfrey is an instinctive player and now that his knowledge of the position has grown he's much less of a liability in space.

It takes a while for a guy who played the vast majority of his snaps in college as a corner to adjust to playing in space as a FS. 

1 person likes this

Posted

About the same as the guys struggling for lifeboats on the Titanic. Hopeful, yet pessimistic that anything good is going to happen.

Posted

Have you actually seen him play some game? Because there were like 5 plays in that video, no way you can say he will be good based on that

I look at the size and speed of Mitchell (6'1 with a 4.49 in the 40'.) and the History & comments by Gettlemen (Pro player evaluator, has a skill in finding gold in FA). Then you look at this story

http://stripehype.com/2013/03/20/bengals-pursuing-raiders-free-agent-safety-mike-mitchell-will-decide-this-week/

The 25-year-old Mitchell has only nine starts in his NFL career. His career high 51 tackles came in 2010, and has been used in different packages as part of Oakland’s rotation.

Still, according to Pro Football Focus, among the 78 safeties who played in 25 percent of their team’s snaps in 2012, Mitchell ranked fifth in run-stop percentage when in the box (10.7 percent) and 20th in overall tackling efficiency (three missed tackles). He was the best pass rusher among NFL safeties with nine total pressures (one sack, six hits and two hurries) in 27 pass-rushing snaps. In fact, only four safeties had more total pressures than Mitchell, even though they played between three times and four times as many snaps.

Mitchel’s struggles came in the passing game, where he ranked a third-to-last in passer rating allowed (130.2).

Finally I watch this video

So I got a good feeling about this guy.

Posted

I feel like Mitchell can be a good strong safety, but I would rather have two guys with solid coverage skills than a guy like Mitchell who plays the run well. The front seven needs to take care of itself and help out the secondary, not the other way around. We'll see how they use him, I guess.

I don't trust Lester at all. He's smart, he just doesn't have the athleticism to cover in this league, in this division. If he sees the field too much, I fear that we'll see a lot of big plays given up.

Posted

You know what they say...

safety-first.jpg

Posted

I feel the same way about a hemroid as I do about our safety postion

Posted

I feel like it's the worst in the league. I'm a big Godfrey supporter. But he's basically going to be out there by himself next year. 

If our front 7 fails to live up to expectations, the Panthers could score 30 a game next year and it won't matter because we will be giving up 33.

Posted

I feel like Mitchell can be a good strong safety, but I would rather have two guys with solid coverage skills than a guy like Mitchell who plays the run well. The front seven needs to take care of itself and help out the secondary, not the other way around. We'll see how they use him, I guess.

I don't trust Lester at all. He's smart, he just doesn't have the athleticism to cover in this league, in this division. If he sees the field too much, I fear that we'll see a lot of big plays given up.

And here lies the problem the word feel.We feel good about our safety and we feel Norman will come around. The word feel should only be used if you are feeling breast.The word is meaningless in describing football players.In football you better know or some team will light you up like a Christmas tree

Posted

Im not on the Norman bandwagon yet. There are too many unanswered variables with him. He's got all the tools but I'll take a wait and see approach with him. Thomas ended the season as the starter and earned his stripes imo.

As far as safety goes, Mitchell is the type of dude that flourishes at safety. Cerebral with a little bit of mean in him. I cant wait to see what he can do. Godfrey is definitely solid back there as well. He tries to be a playmaker sometimes when he shouldn't but how can you really criticize him for that? He wont make big plays if he always plays conservative.

Safety is a position where journeymen and vets do the best. I think we might have that now. Im glad we didnt go after a young S in the draft and Ed Reed could come up injured often.

Posted

on paper it looks rough but hopefully someone will step up come preseason.........i don't understand the godfrey hate he's gotten better every year, he has become a better tackler and his coverage skills have gotten better as well. either we jump on board the charles woodson train or we wait to see what we have as long as the starting safety isnt nakamura im optimistic about it

Posted

And here lies the problem the word feel.We feel good about our safety and we feel Norman will come around. The word feel should only be used if you are feeling breast.The word is meaningless in describing football players.In football you better know or some team will light you up like a Christmas tree

Excuse me for using a single word that you disagree with. Allow me to more completely spell out my logic.

We KNOW that Mitchell is an efficient tackler and blitzer, that he plays excellent football near the line of scrimmage. He has the size, athleticism, and instincts to produce, and should consistently show what he has flashed in his previous experience.

His coverage, though, is lacking, and that's not good for a defensive unit whose only real weakness exists in the secondary.

1 person likes this

Posted

Excuse me for using a single word that you disagree with. Allow me to more completely spell out my logic.

We KNOW that Mitchell is an efficient tackler and blitzer, that he plays excellent football near the line of scrimmage. He has the size, athleticism, and instincts to produce, and should consistently show what he has flashed in his previous experience.

His coverage, though, is lacking, and that's not good for a defensive unit whose only real weakness exists in the secondary.

Sorry my bad it was not directed at you