Photo
- - - - -

So how do you feel about our saftey position?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,180 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

I feel like it's the worst in the league. I'm a big Godfrey supporter. But he's basically going to be out there by himself next year. 

If our front 7 fails to live up to expectations, the Panthers could score 30 a game next year and it won't matter because we will be giving up 33.

#32 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I feel like Mitchell can be a good strong safety, but I would rather have two guys with solid coverage skills than a guy like Mitchell who plays the run well. The front seven needs to take care of itself and help out the secondary, not the other way around. We'll see how they use him, I guess.

I don't trust Lester at all. He's smart, he just doesn't have the athleticism to cover in this league, in this division. If he sees the field too much, I fear that we'll see a lot of big plays given up.

And here lies the problem the word feel.We feel good about our safety and we feel Norman will come around. The word feel should only be used if you are feeling breast.The word is meaningless in describing football players.In football you better know or some team will light you up like a Christmas tree

#33 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Im not on the Norman bandwagon yet. There are too many unanswered variables with him. He's got all the tools but I'll take a wait and see approach with him. Thomas ended the season as the starter and earned his stripes imo.

As far as safety goes, Mitchell is the type of dude that flourishes at safety. Cerebral with a little bit of mean in him. I cant wait to see what he can do. Godfrey is definitely solid back there as well. He tries to be a playmaker sometimes when he shouldn't but how can you really criticize him for that? He wont make big plays if he always plays conservative.

Safety is a position where journeymen and vets do the best. I think we might have that now. Im glad we didnt go after a young S in the draft and Ed Reed could come up injured often.

#34 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

on paper it looks rough but hopefully someone will step up come preseason.........i don't understand the godfrey hate he's gotten better every year, he has become a better tackler and his coverage skills have gotten better as well. either we jump on board the charles woodson train or we wait to see what we have as long as the starting safety isnt nakamura im optimistic about it

#35 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

And here lies the problem the word feel.We feel good about our safety and we feel Norman will come around. The word feel should only be used if you are feeling breast.The word is meaningless in describing football players.In football you better know or some team will light you up like a Christmas tree

Excuse me for using a single word that you disagree with. Allow me to more completely spell out my logic.

We KNOW that Mitchell is an efficient tackler and blitzer, that he plays excellent football near the line of scrimmage. He has the size, athleticism, and instincts to produce, and should consistently show what he has flashed in his previous experience.

His coverage, though, is lacking, and that's not good for a defensive unit whose only real weakness exists in the secondary.

#36 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Excuse me for using a single word that you disagree with. Allow me to more completely spell out my logic.

We KNOW that Mitchell is an efficient tackler and blitzer, that he plays excellent football near the line of scrimmage. He has the size, athleticism, and instincts to produce, and should consistently show what he has flashed in his previous experience.

His coverage, though, is lacking, and that's not good for a defensive unit whose only real weakness exists in the secondary.

Sorry my bad it was not directed at you

#37 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

If the front seven delivers on the hype i think i feel fine.  If we struggle up the middle again this year I won't feel fine. 

#38 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

If the front seven delivers on the hype i think i feel fine.  If we struggle up the middle again this year I won't feel fine. 

Against certain teams I agree but for teams like New Orleans and Denver we will not be sacking the qb and need solid coverage plus we have not shown we can cover a big fast TE

#39 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Against certain teams I agree but for teams like New Orleans and Denver we will not be sacking the qb and need solid coverage plus we have not shown we can cover a big fast TE

Agree to a point, but it's well documented that if either Brees or Manning has to flush out of the pocket from strong middle rush they lose their effectiveness.  Brees moreso, he tends to take those up the middle sacks because he can't see over the line to just chuck it up like Peyton.

#40 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Wait why can't we get to Bree's again?

#41 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Wait why can't we get to Bree's again?

Bree's and Payton Manning rarely get sacked by anyone

#42 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Bree's and Payton Manning rarely get sacked by anyone

We were drilling Bree's in both games last year and we also got to Manning as well. Don't see yor point here dude.

#43 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

point is....a pass rush isn't the end all be all cure.

I good pass rush is devasting against a team like us.  Vertical pass O.  QB who doesn't have a good short game.

Teams can gameplan around a good pass rush to some degree....if they have the talent and coach.  Pass rush wasn't the problem for example when the Bears drove down and scored on us.....you have to have talent in the secondary.

#44 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

I feel that fans are sweet on DJ Campbel because he is NOT Nakamura. However, he gave up just as many big plays if not more. Towards the end of the season QBs would look his way on 3rd down (the Saints game was an absolutely awful showing on Campbell's part at the end of the season).

I like the idea of Godfrey/Mitchell holding it down, especially with Godfrey at FS. Analysts love his tackling ability and I used to defend him through and through, but he simply misses too many crucial tackles. However, he does have a knack for having the ball thrown to him, so FS it is.

I like Naka on ST, as much as that might threaten what little credibility that I have.

With that said, I think that we've upgraded. People are familiar with Mitchell a little bit because of last season's game vs. Oakland, and let's face it: Godfrey/Mitchell looks a whole lot better than Nakamura/Godfrey.

The secondary has an opportunity to surprise a lot of people. Josh Thomas has done nothing but improve since he's been on the roster and the reports about Norman being a whole new player are giving me reason to have expectations. Drayton Florence is a welcome veteran presence, and as much as it hurts to lose Chris Gamble he wasn't exactly healthy last season. Munnerlyn and Moore are both great in the nickel and can contribute on ST as well.

It needs to fast forward to week one already. -_-

#45 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

the day Charles Godfrey is gone....will be the first day we have a shot at having a consistant and dependable secondary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com