Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomas Keiser cut

97 posts in this topic

Posted

I liked the guy and all but he had 2 tackles last season. Lets not pretend this is a bigger deal than it is.

2 people like this

Posted

Keiser was really a 3-4 pass rusher which is not what we need. I think Getts saw that and thus let him go. Also could be not healing from injury like they hoped

2 people like this

Posted

You have to figure they had good reasons to let Keiser go.  It wasn't as if they had to do it with so many going to camp.  There must be something they know we don't.

Thats my guess and now I am curious as to why

Posted

Keiser was really a 3-4 pass rusher which is not what we need. I think Getts saw that and thus let him go. Also could be not healing from injury like they hoped

^^this^^ and don't forget, this guy is small for a DE and gettleman is all about the big guys. we all knew he was pretty small and it looks like they want guys who can be plugged in anywhere on the DL. DEs have to be nearly as big as 3-4 DEs. keiser was closer to a 3-4 OLB than anything.

and he was IRed last year. probably wasn't healing up as well.

again, it's nothing to get upset about. we won't notice he's gone and he's not going to go to some other team and destroy us when we play them.

Posted

Best of luck to TK, liked that guy.

Posted

Maybe he's going to sign a vet de?

Posted

Well now 98 is available maybe Short will jump on it and get rid of number 68

I actually was saying that 98 and 94 will be available soon just last week. Had a feeling Keiser was gone in favor of Addison or someone else.

Posted

Not just a move that better fits the philosophy that Gettlemen prefers, but its also a courtesy move for Keiser since it gives him plenty of time to make soft-landing with another team.

Good luck to him.

1 person likes this

Posted

Like MadHatter said, he doesn't seem to fit the mold for Gettleman's defense. Gettleman is looking for bigger, stronger, more powerful guys to come off the line. Keiser is a hybrid pass rusher DE/OLB, that could do wonders on a team with a 34 defense.

Still, with guys like Fua and Armanti on the team, it doesn't make sense to cut Keiser... Not now, at least.

1 person likes this

Posted

Like MadHatter said, he doesn't seem to fit the mold for Gettleman's defense. Gettleman is looking for bigger, stronger, more powerful guys to come off the line. Keiser is a hybrid pass rusher DE/OLB, that could do wonders on a team with a 34 defense.

Still, with guys like Fua and Armanti on the team, it doesn't make sense to cut Keiser... Not now, at least.

I don't tend to look at who is cut and compare it to guys (at other positions) that I think should be cut.

More meaningful to look within that one postiion to see who is here and who is let go.

I fully expect both Fua and Armanti to be gone by the start of the season.

With the additions of Barner, Ginn, and Adams.....Armanti's potential at ST's in drastically minimized.  Not to mention that he was never a real asset as a WR....and we upgraded that with the additions of Hixon and Ginn.

With the drafting of Star and KK, Fua is on the outside looking in.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a bad movie no matter how you slice it. There is no real reason for it at this point. Let him compete in camp. He's not ancient, he understands what competition is about. He has produced in the NFL and he's a valuable situational pass rusher. Defensive line takes a hit on this one.

There again it could be a matter of professional courtesy to cut him this early if you have a plan that does not involve him. If they plan to line up with a rotation of Hardy-Johnson-Alexander-Short on the ends with Edwards-Latotulelei-Fua-Short at DT then the move makes a little more sense. If they feel like Short can move back and forth between DE and DT based upon situational lineups then it could be more palatable.

I think Gettleman was saying to Keiser, go find a team before the market gets flooded with June 1st cuts and he may be the odd man out somewhere.

Posted

He will probably go to another team and make his once-in-a-lifetime sack against Cam in some game that matters. (which is more than he would do here behind our sick rotation)

Best of luck dude. 

Edit: This is mostly because Frank Alexander looks to be the real deal, unbelievable how DE went to our greatest strength so fast. There are teams out there who wouldn't have cut Keiser for anything.