Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronde Barber: Steve Smith toughest receiver to cover

90 posts in this topic

Posted

Respect

Posted

It's cool when an all-time great like Rhonde is asked a question like that with all the receivers he has ever covered(Harrison,Moss,Owens,Andre Johnson,Megatron,Carter,Wayne,Welker, etc) the first name he comes to without second glance refers to his old Carolina nemesis Steve Smith.

In fairness....he was exposed to Smith signifantly more than those guys.

Posted

Class move by a great football player.

Tough job back in the day covering SS.

Posted

tumblr_lvlw9ahwYS1qh0xylo1_250.gif
1 person likes this

Posted

Great classy remarks by Barber. I have a feeling that he won't be the only corner that will say this.

Posted

How witty with your snide remarks.

One of the best CBs in NFL history is retiring and gives respect to Smitty as he does and you all act glib. Sad really.

I was saying what I said because of how good I believe Smitty is in regards to national media and my knowledge as a fan.  Saying captain obvious is sarcastic, but don't act like you don't ever grace us with witty sarcasm and snide remarks. 

Posted

theres only 3 bucs i have ever liked

ronde barber

john lynch

mike alstott

All HoF'ers in my opinion

Posted

In fairness....he was exposed to Smith signifantly more than those guys.

True but doesn't it say something when guarding one of those other guys feels like a getaway?

Posted

ronde barber

john lynch

mike alstott

No Derrick Brooks?

Posted

Great classy remarks by Barber. I have a feeling that he won't be the only corner that will say this.

Revis has stated that smitty is the toughest receiver he's been asked to cover.

I think it mostly comes down to how tough it is to stick to smith.  You can player perfect coverage vs calvin johnson or larry fitz, but they are still in a very good position to catch the ball just due to their height and size.  smith doesnt have that, and even though he wins a good chunk of jump balls, he needs to have better savvy and knowledge of the game to get separation.

Posted

ronde barber

john lynch

mike alstott

No Warrick Dunn?

Lynch was a dirty player.

Posted

Revis has stated that smitty is the toughest receiver he's been asked to cover.

I think it mostly comes down to how tough it is to stick to smith.  You can player perfect coverage vs calvin johnson or larry fitz, but they are still in a very good position to catch the ball just due to their height and size.  smith doesnt have that, and even though he wins a good chunk of jump balls, he needs to have better savvy and knowledge of the game to get separation.

I remember that interview.

I was meaning more down the line that there will be others that will be saying the same thing.

I've also noticed Smitty has put on some bulk on his upper body in pads but when you see him in person, I don't know where that weight is because he doesn't look that big.