#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...atives-in-2010/

The targeting of conservatives by the IRS started earlier and was more extensive than the IRS acknowledged last week, according to a draft IRS inspector general report obtained by ABC News.

As we reported on “Good Morning America” this morning, the IRS began targeting “Tea Party or similar organizations” in March 2010. That was when the Cincinnati-based IRS unit responsible for overseeing the applications for tax exempt status starting using the phrases “Tea Party,” “patriots” and “9/12″ to search for applications warranting greater scrutiny.

During this first phase, 10 Tea Party cases were identified. By April of 2010, 18 Tea Party organizations were targeted, including three that had already been approved for tax-exempt status.

By June 2011, the unit had flagged over 100 Tea Party-related applications and the criteria used to scrutinize organizations had grown considerably, flagging not just “Tea Party” or “Patriot” in group names, but also groups that were working on issues like “government debt,” “taxes” and even organizations making statements that “criticize how the country is being run.”

The report, done by the Inspector General for the IRS, also shows that senior IRS officials in Washington was aware of what was going on as early as August 4, 2011 when, according to the report, the IRS chief counsel held a meeting with the IRS’s Rulings and Agreements unit “so that everyone would have the latest information on the issue.”

Not surprising ... there will be more to this story ....

#2 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Obama's Obamagate

#3 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Nothing to see here.

The Government is here to help us.

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,375 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

We should all be happy to pay our fair share... more even. Taxes are GOOOOOOD. Gov't is GOOOOOOD.

Here... take my money... please.

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,536 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

a federal tax agency is paying close attention to groups heavily invested in not paying taxes by searching for related groups "working on issues like taxes?"

pardon my lack of outrage

#6 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

a federal tax agency is paying close attention to groups heavily invested in not paying taxes by searching for related groups "working on issues like taxes?"

this is actually p outrageous

its like racial profiling

#7 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Singling out specific groups with specific ideologies is wrong and illegal. Hell, even Obama said so.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,536 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

like homeland security and radical islam? there's a difference between profiling and due dilligence when red flags pop up.

#9 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,986 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Would this be considered over reach?

No big deal. We are lucky we get to pay taxes.

#10 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

like homeland security and radical islam? there's a difference between profiling and due dilligence when red flags pop up.

What if I consider both foundations for likely terrorism?

My concern here is someone directed the IRS to look into these groups for some reason.

It appears to be because they are questioning the tax system and/or were mostly (read all) conservative.

Replace "Tea Party" with Black/White/Baptist/Pagan/Short/Tall etc. The IRS was instructed to profile.  Peeps want to know why.

#11 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Well, this definately had nothing to do with the mid terms. Just like Benghazi had nothing to do with terrorists.

#12 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Too bad you really can't throw a Y on Obama and make it Obamayism like McCarthyism....

#13 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Bravo! 

I call this a good start and long overdue.   These type of organizations, right or left leaning, need to be put under more rigorous inspection before being approved for tax exempt status.  Many of them are simply front organizations for big corporations attempting to push political agendas without risking damage to their carefully crafted public images.  The Citizens United ruling, "money equals free speech" has unleashed a flood of dark money, but these organizations, little more than thinly veiled PACs, have no right to expect tax exempt status while pushing a partisan political agenda. 

Now the IRS needs to go after the "mother" of all disingenuous, tax evading, political organizations... churches.

http://www.colbertna...ell-corporation

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Lance Salyers@lancesalyers

@EdMorrissey In Mar2010, IRS began targeting TEA Partiers, who opposed ObamaCare, which was signed into law Mar2010. #NotACoincidence

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Bravo! 

I call this a good start and long overdue.   These type of organizations, right or left leaning, need to be put under more rigorous inspection before being approved for tax exempt status.  Many of them are simply front organizations for big corporations attempting to push political agendas without risking damage to their carefully crafted public images.  The Citizens United ruling, "money equals free speech" has unleashed a flood of dark money, but these organizations, little more than thinly veiled PACs, have no right to expect tax exempt status while pushing a partisan political agenda. 

Now the IRS needs to go after the "mother" of all disingenuous, tax evading, political organizations... churches.

How dare people freely associate, collect funding, and support their cause. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com