#31 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

OK, you obviously have no opinion on this... shoo and let the grown ups talk.

#32 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

OK, you obviously have no opinion on this... shoo and let the grown ups talk.

like when someone mocked your whiny op and your response amounted to "lol what r u a girl on teh rag"

let the grown ups talk indeed

#33 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,648 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Would making sure all of her classrooms have an epi pen be reasonable? (provided they are all prescribed to her, of course)

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

Lack of epi pens really isn't an issue.

#35 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

I think that would fall under reasonable imo... May not help her much but would prevent a really bad situation.

#36 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I didn't know anyone with peanut allergies growing up.

They are everywhere now.

if a child had a peanut or bologna allergy when I was in school...........

they would have died in my cafeteria.

#37 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,648 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think that would fall under reasonable imo... May not help her much but would prevent a really bad situation.

It would help her that it would buy her precious minutes in the event of a reaction. The first thing the paramedics are going to ask if she has an epi pen.

#38 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

It would help her that it would buy her precious minutes in the event of a reaction. The first thing the paramedics are going to ask if she has an epi pen.

Well, she said in the article that she always carries one on her person... It would be extra insurance I guess.

My point in all of this was to try and determine what is reasonable.

Obviously if someone went out of their way to harm her that's something altogether different... and I think her asking nicely that people not have peanut products around is fine... but if it was me, I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to honor that request.

I don't really see how the University could have done more than what they did. They probably could've left the original signs up, but were probably afraid that someone would either forget or ignore them then it would be on them for not "enforcing" the signs...

#39 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is a tough subject and I understand both sides.  I work at a school where a lot of kids have different alergies, peanuts included.  The children are permitted to bring foods with nut products but are not permitted to have them in the classroom, only the lunch room.  There is a peanut free table at the lunch room and the children can only eat there if they bought lunch from the school (obviously w/o nuts), home lunches have to eat elsewhere.

Many of the parents of the students with alergies provide us with snacks so that those children can have something when others bring stuff in from home.  All of that sounds reasonable to me but then again, this is an elementary school, that type of stuff would be much more difficult to enforce as the students get older, and as was mentioned, very tough for a college to enforce.

It can get really tough too because there are so many foods out there that do not contain nuts but are made in factories where nuts are used for other products.  Expecting college students to read the labels of everything they buy is a bit unreasonable, I know I certainly did not read them back then, wish I had but I did not.  As has been stated, if the signs stay up and someone forgets, or chooses not to, then they could be sued for not enforcing the rule or creating a false sense of security.

I feel that making others aware of the condition and asking them to help is reasonable, but expecting the school to be able to enforce the rule is not.

#40 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thankfully I outgrew my peanut allergy.

A pecan could still kill me.

I'm on my phone right now but I'll offer up my feelings tomorrow.

#41 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Dp

#42 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

As someone who's had terrible allergies and asthma all my life, I am still kind of on both sides of the issue.

I know my limitations and I have become insanely aware of my surroundings in situations where there is an unknown element. By this, I mean that I have to pretty much be ever vigilant of what I am exposed to.

Sure, pecans aren't nearly as commonplace as peanuts, and I can imagine the difficulty in trying to stay away from them. But, a chance encounter could spell big trouble for me.

I think the school has to do all they can to ensure the safety of their students, but she's also got to understand that her world will never be totally safe. If she hasn't learned that already, I don't know why.

I have a coworker who's son has a severe peanut allergy among many others. He even has to wear a heavy duty respirator to fly anywhere, and they have to fly on airlines that don't serve peanuts. In my opinion, they also totally overdramaticize it to the point where I lose pity for him. He's had run-ins at school too, and by hearing their side of the situation, it is my opinion that they are blowing it out of proportion for attention/potential litigation/to cover for their irresponsible son.

The last run in with something (most likely food fried in the same oil a pecan crusted fish was fried in) I had was a few years ago in Charlotte. Within 15 minutes, my kidneys hurt so bad I thought they were shutting down, I had softball sized hives all over my body, my eyes swelled almost closed, and I could literally feel my windpipe swelling shut.

Thankfully, because of my upbringing, I knew what to do. I had no epi-pen, but I jumped into the hotel shower and basically saturated my mucus membranes (via my eyes, nose, and throat) with soap. I also downed a double dosage of each antihistamine I could find(the equivalent of an epi-pen).

Thankfully, also, I was in a situation where I could do all the above things, and not in a public setting like a school or a restaurant.

I guess the bottom line is that, ultimately, we are all responsible for our own well-being but, at the same time, we need to do our best to ensure the well-being of those around us too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com