Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dpantherman

The Panthers contacted Charles Woodson's agent...HOWEVER

164 posts in this topic

only way we sign him is if he wants to play for rivera/wilks or we get in a bidding war for him. the former is unlikely and the latter is guaranteed not to happen.

I need to preface this by saying I could give two shits if a guy is gay or not. But I could see a team shying away from signing a 31 year old possibly gay player because if he comes out, and then plays poorly, and then you cut him, the whole thing becomes a media circus. I'd just as soon explore other avenues for players. Look at Kluwe, he got released because he was a poo punter last year, and now all this crap comes up about how maybe he was released because he was an outspoken activist for gay rights. A lot if teams just don't even want to deal with the potential headache. Not because a player is gay or they are against homosexuals, but they are against headaches that the media can present with such things.

2 people like this

I have nothing against a person living whatever life they wish to, but I think teams are staying away from Rhodes due to the "gay" rumors. He's a solid safety, but I wonder if teams think a 31 year old that could be in the media quite a bit wouldn't be worth the potential headaches.

Kerry-Rhodes-Russell-Simpson-3.jpg

kerry-rhodes-gay-love-bottom-4.jpg

I do not care if he is a limp wrist .....I want a championship.

I do not care if he is a limp wrist .....I want a championship.

I don't care either. I'm just saying basically what Monsta is saying in the post above, the potential media headaches might not be worth the better safety play with Rhodes given the fact he's 31. This to me is the reason he hasn't been signed by any team this offseason.

Tossed by this idea. While he was a great player I believe he got burned real bad a couple times last year.  Clearly not the same player as a couple years ago.  Switch him to Safety like Rod Woodson did might not be a bad idea but we didn't save money on D'Will to just throw it at an aging veteran.  I think we should wait until June 1 to see what pops out on the market.

Gettleman is too wise to start being stupid with the money.

2 people like this

I think it would be a good move if we could land him for about 1.3-1.7m.

He provides two things we need, depth in the secondary and leadership in the lockeroom. I love the idea if having Cam around Woodson, he could really learn some things about being a true professional.

We have the cap room to make a move, and a one year contract won't tie down any future cap sace past next year. Giving us as much room as possible to sign Cam and Hardy to new contracts. It also buys us a little more time to bring in young talented players, and build through the draft.

The dude is still a baller and would be a perfect stop gap for this team.

Woodson is headed to Oakland for a visit. Hopefully we can get him in for a visit just to test the waters.

We already have media headaches with Cam. If Charlotte and the Panthers ever want to put on their big boy pants and play with true stardom, then stuff like this, or signing a troublemaker neet to be non-issues.

Rhodes is younger and cheaper than Woodson. Simply put: Rhodes is the better value. I think that we have enough strong personalities in the locker room to make Rhodes' sexual preferences a background issue, if an issue at all. I would be more concerned about Rhodes lying about it than anything else. That speaks to his character.

Rhodes is younger and cheaper than Woodson. Simply put: Rhodes is the better value. I think that we have enough strong personalities in the locker room to make Rhodes' sexual preferences a background issue, if an issue at all. I would be more concerned about Rhodes lying about it than anything else. That speaks to his character.

I think being a rump ranger will drop his value.

Woodson's old and I dont say that often as many times as I have had discussions around here about the subject. I think the team that signs him is making a statement "we need a cb badly". The teams in their division will notice the desperation and plan accordingly as well.

The only problem with him coming is he doesn't play SS.  Godfrey needs to stay at FS.  So in actuality, he isn't really an upgrade except his leadership ability (which we are assuming he is).

Not really worried about that imo. He could definitely find a spot on the field with the secondary we have.