Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarhead

Gettlemen continues to get criticism for not bringing in a WR

649 posts in this topic

you just said leaders restrucuture contracts as a reflection of good leadership.  That is not the norm in the NFL.  Listen to players talk.  It is business.  Fans are the ones who talk about players doing X and Y out of leadership and loyalty.  Players talk, they talk business.  

I had always said Williams would NOT play in 2013 under the current number....that his deal was reworked or he was a June 1.  One or the other.  I always maintaed Carolina had the leverage to deal w/ Williams now....not Beason.  They have none w/ Beason today.  That is why Beason will continue to do what is best for him

No I said JR set a precedent by writing that contract. Again, what said would happen. . . happened just like i said it would, so why are YOU telling me why it happened? Im confused. . no. . YOURE confused. . now we're both confused.

greeeat

Please explain how he should have addressed the WR position this year:

1.  Sign a big time FA for $10+M per season (with our cap situation).....not a good idea

2.  Pick a WR in the first round over Star.....not a good idea

3.  Pick a WR in the 2nd round....no one at our position would be a sig upgrade over LaFell or Hixon

4.  Pick a WR in the 4th-6th rounds...taking a guy to compete for the 4th or 5th WR position would not really help

Gettleman inherited a cap and roster mess.  There were too many needs....not enough cap space....and not enough draft picks to address them all.  He chose to to take BPA (in areas of need).

well...we don't know what was good or stupid in regards to the draft.

WR in the first, DT in the 2nd....could of been brilliant.  Star could flop.  Never know.

Do you think we can win the SB this year with this group of guys?

You're fine with Mike Mitchell/Campbell at SS and a group of mediocre receivers?

Every year, if you dont win the SB you're a bust.

Don't laugh, but "Yes."  I think this team could win a Super Bowl in 2013.  If Cam steps up, this team can beat anyone.  The odds are not good, but they will continue to get better each year, if Gettlemen continues to improve us through sensible, frugal means.

You cannot be awesome at every position. 

WHen we went to the Super Bowl, who was our FS?  Our DBs?  Who was our slot WR? Who were our TEs?   Before that season, did you think Ricky Proehl, Terry Cousins, Reggie Howard, Kris Mangum, Mike Siedman, and Deon Grant would be good enough?  They were good enough to put the team in position to be there and to win the game.  Did you really think Jake was going to lead us to the promise land, or were we to trust in Rodney Peete?

The key to the offense is not WR, it is RG.  While we need to upgrade WR, it was not a good year for it.   Next year, we have to address WR, DB, and OT.  This year, we have to trust what we have.

What excites me is this:  We are getting better without mortgaging the future.  Gettlemen is not only building this team for the future, he is doing it with one arm tied behind his back (Hurney.  We are getting better while saving. While the odds are against us winning the Super Bowl in 2013, they will continue to get better  each year as long as Gettlemen is in charge.

well...we don't know what was good or stupid in regards to the draft.

WR in the first, DT in the 2nd....could of been brilliant.  Star could flop.  Never know.

And every WR in this draft could be a complete bust....what is your point?

Mine is that there was not a WR worth anywhere close to what Star is to this team.

2nd round...I could have lived with and understood taking a CB, S, or WR here.  But, the staff did not see one that was worth the pick and more value (at a huge area of need) than KK.

That is my point.

Lafell better than Lloyd??? LMAAAAAOO! And i thought it couldnt get any worse than it already was.

1 person likes this

How else could he have upgraded the position, with our cap space what it was at the time all the big FA wide receivers were available? How could he have done it in the draft? All of which without sacrificing our future. The entire point is to make this team as well-balanced as possible with the cap money you have available and through the draft. You should read my other post around page 9 i think.  I believe he has set us up for the future for the WR position....cap space.

One poster said we should have traded up in the second to grab Justin Hunter.  How much would we have had to give up for him? With 5 picks only in that draft and only 6 next year? Hixon and Ginn are solid signings for the money that we had and the other problems we had to fix. To me, it's all about finding a balance.  I just don't understand people who think he can somehow pull off miraculous trades and signings when we were in the financial situation we were in. Just doesn't make sense to me.

the cap can be handle and messed with each year to handle signing whoever you liked(prorating money, bonus, contract language). for instance, every year it seems as tho the redskins are in cap hell, but then they come away with some sort of way to sign big name guys. again Star had to be the pick in that situation, but i do not like trading future picks. but if you think a guy is a cant miss player then you have to go get him.(i do not think Hunter is a cant miss player).

Hixon is a guy who has had several acl injuries an the giants thought so highly in him that they still drafted several WRs high after obtaining him. he is jag at best. Ginn is someone who will help with the field position and thats about it. either guy is no more then a 3 WR in 2 WR sets, so dumpster diving is what was done with the position this year.

maybe you should leave the jokes for someone like Carrot Top and remain silent. I will remain silent b/c I never should of thought I could second guess the likes of GM.

Carrot top lol. Well now I'm officially insulted!

I have so many monkeys on my back on here.

Well here let me help you out buddy.

Who's the better Wide Receiver? (assuming healthy)

Brandon LaFell (120 votes [82.19%] - View)

David Gettis (26 votes [17.81%] - View)

You claimed most people agreed with you about Brandon, so just saying.

Wow. How could anyone expect Gettleman to fill every position with stud players in his first season. Theres only so much he could do

Some of you are just unrealistic.

What Gettleman has done so far is great

2 people like this

Please explain how he should have addressed the WR position this year:

1.  Sign a big time FA for $10+M per season (with our cap situation).....not a good idea

2.  Pick a WR in the first round over Star.....not a good idea

3.  Pick a WR in the 2nd round....no one at our position would be a sig upgrade over LaFell or Hixon

4.  Pick a WR in the 4th-6th rounds...taking a guy to compete for the 4th or 5th WR position would not really help

Gettleman inherited a cap and roster mess.  There were too many needs....not enough cap space....and not enough draft picks to address them all.  He chose to to take BPA (in areas of need).

how do you know that no WR picked in the 2nd or later could have not been an upgrade over Lafell? you dont, he chose to take BPA in some areas of need. i honestly think he went into the draft thinking he was going to take Short in the 2nd round reguardless of what happened in the 1st.

Carrot top lol. Well now I'm officially insulted!

Well here let me help you out buddy.

Who's the better Wide Receiver? (assuming healthy)

Brandon LaFell (120 votes [82.19%] - View)

David Gettis (26 votes [17.81%] - View)

You claimed most people agreed with you about Brandon, so just saying.

Lmfao. You should print that out and post it on your wall.

Im happy most people decided with you.

But it was clear that many of them chose Lafell over Gettis bc they were biased with Gettis missing the last two seasons. If you have taken statistic or data analysis, you'd know that there are other factors that may involve in one's opinion (3rd variable: bias).