Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettlemen continues to get criticism for not bringing in a WR

649 posts in this topic

Posted

I would much rather have another TE in our passing game than another number  2 or 3 WR this year.

2 people like this

Posted

If Cam needs more weapons that Stew, DWill, Tolbert, Smitty, LaFell, Hixon, Ginn, Olsen to be successful......then he is nowhere near the QB that we all believe he is.

Lets take the RBs off the table for these talks...you mean if needs more than a WR that could easily retire after this year, 2 castoff WR rentals, and Brandon LaFell?

And a solid TE.

Meanwhile, guys like Peyton Mannning grew up throwing to super studs.

Posted

You also have to consider the source of the opinion. Jamie Dukes is the worst analyst on sports television. He will constantly interrupt others on NFL Network because he feels his opinion is way more valuable the any other. On top of that, he is the biggest Falcons homer.

1 person likes this

Posted

Matt Ryan throws to three superstar cats every season, how many rings he got?

Posted

4 straight postseasons....at least they go to the dance and have a shot

Posted

Maybe its just me but I think we are fine. Eventually we will need to get someone but as of right now we are ok. I like this team we have. Like zod said, Olsen is a good target. I just wish we went to him more often.

1 person likes this

Posted

Lets take the RBs off the table for these talks...you mean if needs more than a WR that could easily retire after this year, 2 castoff WR rentals, and Brandon LaFell?

And a solid TE.

Meanwhile, guys like Peyton Mannning grew up throwing to super studs.

I think you have a valid argument with respect to bringing in a guy to replace Smitty. With regards to your second point, Cam Newton is not Payton Manning . They are not even similar therefore the offensive schemes  and supporting cast should be different. The supporting staff for Manning should look much different than Cams with his experience in the league .Payton is one of the best at multiple reads and a quick release therefore you can leverage multiple WRs, I think Cam needs mismatches such as a TE can present plus Cam thrives in schemes that gives the ability to take off and multiple TEs are much more suited for that.They also give him big physical targets. 

1 person likes this

Posted

4 straight postseasons....at least they go to the dance and have a shot

We could have been in the dance last year, if we only used the weapons we have and would have stopped the crazy playcalling.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree with CRA. We are doing Cam a disservice by only giving him Jake's old parts to work with. His best receiver is still an old Steve Smith and he's a better more durable RB at this point than the ones who carry the ball all the time for him. I expect our defense to be more consistent in 2013, but the offense is gonna take a step back. And guess who will get the majority of the blame for it? It still feels like LeBron in Cleveland.

Posted

I think you have a valid argument with respect to bringing in a guy to replace Smitty. With regards to your second point, Cam Newton is not Payton Manning . They are not even similar therefore the offensive schemes and supporting cast should be different. The supporting staff for Manning should look much different than Cams with his experience in the league .Payton is one of the best at multiple reads and a quick release therefore you can leverage multiple WRs, I think Cam needs mismatches such as a TE can present plus Cam thrives in schemes that gives the ability to take off and multiple TEs are much more suited for that.They also give him big physical targets.

Cam is a big armed gunslinger in a verical pass O.....with no legit deep threat and spotty OL play. He is entering his 3rd year....

Something is wrong there. Fair odds his LT and WR could be gone as soon as next season as well

2 people like this

Posted

how many years in a row with a winning season? .....  and then compared to us?

how long did it take him to get to the playoffs?..... and then compared to us?

how many trips has he had to the playoffs? ....and then compared to us?

how much closer are they to getting a ring than us?

how many winning seasons have we had since they drafted ryan...and then started building the offense around him?

until we can pull off even one winning season, we can't knock what they've done. what they have done has made them one of the most successful teams in the league....perrinial playoff contenders. what we have done has resulted in losing season after losing season after losing season.

i hope it changes this year, but i know that i can't argue with their success and it's put them a whole lot closer to getting that ring than anything we've done. crap....we've never even had two winning seasons in a row, much less two consecutive playoff trips.  they keep heading to the playoffs. they havent missed a year since ryan came in the league. 

what they are doing works....at least works a whole lot better than anything we've done. you can't argue results.

Posted

I agree to disagree that Cam's a gunslinger.  Hixon has deepthreat capability, and Tolbert is good catching out of the backfield.  Cam has all the weapons he needs to get the job done.  Would I have liked to draft a receiver?  You bet!  In fact we pretty much wasted our last three picks altogether.  However, as far as weapons go, I believe we have more than enough to get the job done.