648 replies to this topic

#496 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

We should have drafted a WR just so we could have said we drafted a WR?

I mean I agree that we need to address getting a future replacement for Smitty but to me that doesn' mean we draft a WR just for the sake of drafting one. Even moreso if the value isn't their when u are picking.

#497 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

If the offense got 24 points every game last season, the team would have went 9-7. The problem with the offense is consistently. They will score 30 one week and 7 the next. That will cause problems for any defense

I guess what I really was trying to say was that if the offense has given us a lead late in the game, then the defense should be able to hold on to it.  I do agree with you in that the offense was pretty inconsistent, but I don't feel like we've added any pieces to fix that inconsistency.  

#498 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

"Rome wasn't built in a day".  We know, we know....been hearing that saying for years now with this team.

I agree with Mcdougal, in that, with all the resources we've put into the defense these past couple years, and the two early draft picks we spent on DT, this defense should be top 5-10 now.  They've gotta carry us this season, don't want to hear anybody complaining about the offense this year when so many were in favor of the picking of 2 DT's.  If Cam Newton and the offense put up 24+ points, then we should win everytime.  No more of those defensive blunders at the end of games that the defense was notorious for.  Star and Kawaan need to show immediate impact, since most in here were so against developing a WR alongside Smitty.

24 should be more than enough...I was thinking about 20 to 22 points. Basically a touchdown a quarter sans one quarter.

And if our offense leaves the field with a lead. I expect this defense to hold onto said lead if it is under 3 minutes to go in the game.

Our team should mirror the SF of Alex Smith last full year as starter. Or the Ravens last year.

#499 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

If the offense got 24 points every game last season, the team would have went 9-7. The problem with the offense is consistently. They will score 30 one week and 7 the next. That will cause problems for any defense

Based on this year's team...the offense would be responsible for Tampa Bay, the NYG, SEA, DENVER (although Manning completed like 15 straight passes in a row).loses.

In the other loses...ATL...we scored 28. CHI 21...TAMPA BAY 21 AND CHIEFS 21.

I going to need my top notched defense to pull those games out.

#500 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Based on this year's team...the offense would be responsible for Tampa Bay, the NYG, SEA, DENVER (although Manning completed like 15 straight passes in a row).loses.

Wouldn't include that NY game....defense wasn't stopping anyone. Wasn't stopping backups

#501 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

I wasn't looking at what happened in each individual game, just looking at the score for each game and seeing how many would have been won if the offense scored 24.

#502 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

24 should be more than enough...I was thinking about 20 to 22 points. Basically a touchdown a quarter sans one quarter.

And if our offense leaves the field with a lead. I expect this defense to hold onto said lead if it is under 3 minutes to go in the game.

Our team should mirror the SF of Alex Smith last full year as starter. Or the Ravens last year.

Cam Newton is our QB....our team shouldn't mirror what Alex Smith's team did. We should be giving Cam Newton a legit verical threat so he can go out and play playground ball.

We shouldn't be striving for game manager style football. We should be striving to put up tons of points and a solid D to take advantage of teams trying to keep up IMO.

Little room for error and a lot of luck needed when you play game manager football.....and our secondary isn't good enough to begin with. Unrealistic to expect an insane pass rush all game every week....when it aint there the good teams will make us pay

#503 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

this is a bad assumption to make and one that should NEVER be made.

and we shouldn't game plan like we've got a frikkin game manager like alex smith. that's points on the board you leave behind and you can't win if you do that. sure you might be able to do it. you might have a D that can keep the offense down, but what if you don't. what if they aren't as good as you think? what if an offense gets you figured out? what if it's an offense that regularly puts up 30 on anyone?

you can't make that mistake. you can't ever assume that your D is going to stop anyone in crunch time. i don't care how good they are. you don't give the other team the ball and expect your D to hold them for a couple minutes. you do that and you are playing to not lose instead of win.

we need to quit trying to be some san fran or chicago '85 bears or 2000 ravens. we need to be a team that scores and scores and scores and scores some more. AND that has a stout defense. btw, that's the route that san fran is taking and is why they moved on from alex smith. they need points or they aren't going to get that lombardi and it wasn't until the ravens finally got an offense that could be a high scoring offense at the end of the year that they were able to get into the superbowl. they weren't going to do it on D alone. they had to have a prolific offense.

i swear if rivera gets fired and we replace him with another frikkin DC i'm jumping ship.

#504 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Cam Newton is our QB....our team shouldn't mirror what Alex Smith's team did. We should be giving Cam Newton a legit verical threat so he can go out and play playground ball.

We shouldn't be striving for game manager style football. We should be striving to put up tons of points and a solid D to take advantage of teams trying to keep up IMO.

Little room for error and a lot of luck needed when you play game manager football.....and our secondary isn't good enough to begin with. Unrealistic to expect an insane pass rush all game every week....when it aint there the good teams will make us pay

I agree Cam Newton is our QB. But a 32+ sub 6'0 is our number one WR. Our #2 WR has no speed or is really in any way dynamic. We have a good (not a Pro-Bowl) TE and we have a solid running back group---again no Pro Bowlers...and Cam was still our leading rusher.

So I agree with you. This offense is not conducive to the Falcon's style of attack. If you want that type of offense...draft and sign free agents like the Falcons did.

Newton can be our QB all we want. That does not mean you get to surround him with anything and expect him to generate a top 5 offense.

I call this the Lebron James, Mike Vick, A.I. syndromne. Just because you have a once in a generation player doesn't give the franchise a liscene to ignore that part of the team.

James, Vick, and AI (soon to be RGIII) need EVERY bit of help that Manning, Brady, Ryan, or Kobe needs. 

And as I have said. Gentlemen may be 1000 percent correct in going all in on defense.

And that is fine.

But don't expect our offense to throw up 30 points on the board.

Our defense needs to start producing and carrying us this year.

#505 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,514 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I guess what I really was trying to say was that if the offense has given us a lead late in the game, then the defense should be able to hold on to it.  I do agree with you in that the offense was pretty inconsistent, but I don't feel like we've added any pieces to fix that inconsistency.  

bro you have the best sigs.i have to pie you.

#506 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

I understand we need a number 1 WR but its not happening this year.What I think should happen is we get a RT so Cam can stay in the pocket which would make all our receivers better.We brought in two WRs that have sub 4.5 speed to stretch the field and now Cam needs the time to throw it to them.Even a guy like Fitz in Arizona is going to have lackluster stats as he did last year if you cannot get him the ball.When Cam has to roll to the right to avoid being sacked it shortens the field and takes away most of the routes.

#507 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,511 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

We have largely fixed the offense and now have a piece or two to acquire and some parts to replace on the offense.  The defense was in need of some line help and we did that this year.  I don't understand why people are so shortsighted they can't see the bigger picture.  Based on what happens this Fall we will go out next year and try and fix whatever is broken now.  That is how it works.  In a few years hopefully we will have rebuilt the team from the 2010 purge and we can add depth and tweak the pieces.  

34 pages over a WR who would have been the third or fourth option on the team versus finding the defensive line starters for the next decade.  You can tell it is the offseason.

#508 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

After reading so many post, I'll quickly offer my two cents.

It appears to me, if Gettlemen felt there was a worthy receiver (over the other available players) during the first two rds, he would have picked them.

I don't think he had an outright predisposition to pick a "Big Guy (though he's obviously fond of them, and their sometimes overlooked value to a team)". He stuck to the "Best Player Available", in one of the several areas of the need. Simple as that!

#509 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I understand we need a number 1 WR but its not happening this year.What I think should happen is we get a RT so Cam can stay in the pocket which would make all our receivers better.We brought in two WRs that have sub 4.5 speed to stretch the field and now Cam needs the time to throw it to them.Even a guy like Fitz in Arizona is going to have lackluster stats as he did last year if you cannot get him the ball.When Cam has to roll to the right to avoid being sacked it shortens the field and takes away most of the routes.

people keep on going back to this idea that we need a number 1 WR to take smitty's place...which we do...but it's more than that. it's giving cam better receiving options than what we have. it's upgrading the corps. we need to do it and we need to be serious about it.

how many WRs do we have under contract after this season? smith and......

i don't see us taking the WR seriously yet. i see us as a team that's just hoping to get by at WR.

i still think people have some awfully unrealistic expectations for a WR that would be drafted in the first round. we'll probably finish well enough this year that we draft in the middle of the pack again. if the bar is set at aj green/julio/megatron level for a first round WR, unless you draft in the top 5-7 picks you aren't going to find one...and that's even dependant on it being one of those rare years a WR like that comes out.

people worry about us settling for lesser quality in the first round, but aren't we settling now at WR? isn't that what we've been doing for years?

i think it's too important a position to be treating it the way we have. we lucked out with smitty and aside from moose we've never really had very good consistent quality to play beside him. we've had to settle for ok....and that's when we can even find ok. at this rate we'll see smith retire without us having taken WR all that seriously and in the long run it's only going to hurt us.

we are in a tight spot now and it's only going to be worse next year. we'll be forced to do something about it, but if we are enslaved to this notion of BPA then it's very likely that we won't even be doing anything more than what we have so far.

we are digging a hole that's only getting deeper. i trust gettleman's judgement so far, but i don't know how he's planning on fixing that particular mess or if he even really considers it a priority, and if he doesn't then that's a flaw that may end up holding us back.

#510 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Send the checkbook up to Hakeem Nicks. lol 

Draft a OT in the first, then a WR in the second to give Lafell competition for the 2nd spot. 

Problem solved. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.