#527 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think that Hopkins/Short makes us a better team now and down the road than Star/Short

No way....you don't pass on Star.  Hopkins should be a good WR, but Star is a stud.

If anything, you take Keenan Allen in the 2nd.  But, we spent a lot of time with him and there was a reason we passed on him.

#528 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

See that's where it gets difficult at that point a sacrifice was going to be made. If we didn't pick a WR at 14 or trade down to get one at the end of the round then there wasnt going to be one at 44.

I know we both wanted a WR taken so I'm interested to know what you would have done with the 44th pick.

gavin escobar, allen, or patton.

if not one of those three i would have tried to move into the 3rd round and pick up either one of those guys (if still available) or bailey.

as much as i like kugbilla, seeing as how patton was still available at that point kind of gets me upset.

the thing is, we had options. there are things we could have done to improve an area that needs improving and we didn't do it and it only makes it more of a desperate situation for us down the road. we had options that would have been legit and respectable and would have at the very least competed for a starting gig but we didn't take it. now we have an old stud WR who plays hard and gets hurt often and 3 ok guys on one year deals (and i consider lafell to be on a one year deal at this point).

sure, it would have been a gamble to take a WR at any point this year, but can anyone say that taking the route that we are currently on isn't gambling as well?

#529 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Man you gotta love the Huddle. Gettlemen has been here a short time. Too many folks are already mad because he hasn't built the perfect team yet.

It is a fans right to bich and moan. Not drafting a WR was stupid. The decision to not draft a WR was cockamammy at best. Not bringing in a WR to push/replace Smitty is going to be our downfall.

All legitimate ideas they were. Until you factor in, WE don't run 4/5 WR sets. We run 2/3 WR sets. Smitty and Lefell are a very good 1-2 punch. That leaves a plethora of players fighting and competing and pushing each other for one last spot. Sounds like how good teams do it. Competition is not your enemy.

We are good at WR. Personally, I am more concerned we didn't do more to... Naw, right now I'm good.

We are not a great team, yet. But we are closer now than we have been in quite some time. With a future that is as bright as any time in our existence. Me, I can live with that.

#530 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Man you gotta love the Huddle. Gettlemen has been here a short time. Too many folks are already mad because he hasn't built the perfect team yet.

It is a fans right to bich and moan. Not drafting a WR was stupid. The decision to not draft a WR was cockamammy at best. Not bringing in a WR to push/replace Smitty is going to be our downfall.

All legitimate ideas they were. Until you factor in, WE don't run 4/5 WR sets. We run 2/3 WR sets. Smitty and Lefell are a very good 1-2 punch. That leaves a plethora of players fighting and competing and pushing each other for one last spot. Sounds like how good teams do it. Competition is not your enemy.

We are good at WR. Personally, I am more concerned we didn't do more to... Naw, right now I'm good.

We are not a great team, yet. But we are closer now than we have been in quite some time. With a future that is as bright as any time in our existence. Me, I can live with that.

I wouldn't call smitty and lafell a "very good" duo. If they were defenses wouldn't double smitty the way they do and when they do lafell should have a monster game but he doesn't and never has. Only 1 100 yard game and 91 yards came on one play. One can make the case that Lafell is holding smitty back and at 34 years old lord knows he doesn't need that.

#531 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

lafell benefits from smitty. i don't see smitty benefitting from lafell very much.

#532 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

lafell benefits from smitty. i don't see smitty benefitting from lafell very much.

True, but that's normally the case with young receivers. I doubt we could have gotten a guy in this draft at 14 or later that would have been better than Lafell.

#533 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Receiver is a need, sure. However I would not put it over offensive line.

#534 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

True, but that's normally the case with young receivers. I doubt we could have gotten a guy in this draft at 14 or later that would have been better than Lafell.

i disagree, esp. if you consider more than just the first year for the new guy.

#535 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Receiver is a need, sure. However I would not put it over offensive line.

we should have been looking more at FA to handle that.

#536 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't call smitty and lafell a "very good" duo. If they were defenses wouldn't double smitty the way they do and when they do lafell should have a monster game but he doesn't and never has. Only 1 100 yard game and 91 yards came on one play. One can make the case that Lafell is holding smitty back and at 34 years old lord knows he doesn't need that.

You don't need to call Smitty and Lafell a very good duo. I just did. Lafell is everything you want out of your #2, good hands, knows the O, runs good routes, can block well, and he is rarely hurt.

We have a #1 WR to get all the big yards and catches. We also have a #1 TE who garners his fair share of attention. The only folks thinking we NEED another stud. Are fans who just aren't happy with the current situation and want more. MORE>>> MORE>>>

We have RBs that can catch, we have a TE that can catch, we have a #1 WR who can catch. We also have Lafell. He may not be the best #2 in the world. But for our needs, at this time, he fits perfectly.

The only thing holding Smitty back is the fact that he, for some unZodly reason, always get tackled short of the goal-line. He must have missed out on a dozen or so TDs through the years.

Upgrade when you can. Sounds good right? That is how Gettlemen works.

It is not! Upgrade now! As some of you would have it.

Oh, and give Lafell enough targets. He will get you your precious 100 yard games.

#537 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

i disagree, esp. if you consider more than just the first year for the new guy.

Oh, somebody picked after 14 will have a better career than Lafell, but it's kind of a crap shoot as this was such a flawed receiver class. Better to take two great defensive tackle prospects in a great draft for them than to reach for a receiver in a draft where they are weak. Cordarelle Patterson was the third guy taken and he only had 1 100 yard receiving game in D-1.

#538 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Oh, somebody picked after 14 will have a better career than Lafell, but it's kind of a crap shoot as this was such a flawed receiver class. Better to take two great defensive tackle prospects in a great draft for them than to reach for a receiver in a draft where they are weak. Cordarelle Patterson was the third guy taken and he only had 1 100 yard receiving game in D-1.

you say it was a weak class. i say it was a strong class. that's where the disconnect is. i won't argue that any further.

#539 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

6 months ago, DT was in worse shape than WR. Naturally, folks wanted DT addressed. Now that is has, and nicely I might add, there new favorite obsession is the WR position.

Got to have something to complain about. The flavor of the month is WR.

#540 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

you say it was a weak class. i say it was a strong class. that's where the disconnect is. i won't argue that any further.

When the 3rd WR taken had 1 100 yd game at D1.....hard to call it strong.

It was called weak (at the top) by most experts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com