Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deangelo Williams Restructures Contract

196 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

yeah, agreed. i think the barner pick up may have been the thing to seal the deal. 

He does give us the needed depth when one goes down. Same with Klein?

Posted · Report post

Hell, if all our 5th and 6th round picks do is give us the leverage to shave millions off our cap for the next few years they were picks well spent.  That's more productive than 98% of 5th and 6th round picks turn out to be.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Win/Win 

Panthers didn't want to cut or lose DeAngelo and DeAngelo would never have received that kind of pay in this RB market if he was released.

:goodjob:

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

yeah, agreed. i think the barner pick up may have been the thing to seal the deal.

Yeah i know this is kind of far fetched but after that beason interview where he said Deangelo is the worst tipper and would be happy to be called that it would make sense that it would take some drastic like drafting barner to make dwill restructure

Posted · Report post

Hell, if all our 5th and 6th round picks do is give us the leverage to shave millions off our cap for the next few years they were picks well spent.  That's more productive than 98% of 5th and 6th round picks turn out to be.

good point and good strategy if that is what we were doing.

barner and klein make williams and beason expendable. that's not to say they are as good or better, but both are and will be solid players who would be able to get the job done....and save us money to improve other areas.

i expect beason's contract to be re-done soon. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

.. also I'm wondering if the Barner pick was a strategy to convince DWill to restructure?

It def gave Gettle leverage and prob made DWill and his agent paranoid as hell

I think you are on to something. This restructure might not have happened if it wasn't for that draft pick for Barner. It let DeAngelo and his agent know everyone is replaceable and DeAngelo's agent knows he would not have gotten this kind of money on the open market. It also lets us know the pressure was on DeAngelo and his agent for a while. Gettleman added to that pressure when he made that noncommittal comment to the media concerning DeAngelo.

That my huddle friends was Gettleman being gangsta !!

Posted · Report post

So let me get this straight, did DeAngelo just take a paycut?

Posted · Report post

And the crowd goes wild

Posted · Report post

Everyone on here is saying gettle magic, I really think it is a more of a great move by D Will  and shows that he really wants to be a Panther. Any moron could see something had to be done with his contract, but it would not be possible if D Will did not want to be here. I'm glad gettleman finished this, but any person would have done the same thing. Kind of GM 1.1 lite stuff.

DeAngelo had no choice.  Get cut and lose millions in a market that allows vets to retire rather than pay them, especially RB vets or restructure and take the money on the table and retire a Panther.

Posted · Report post

We could sign woodson for a one year AND extend Hardy next season, if they deem Woodson worthy.

Posted · Report post

good point and good strategy if that is what we were doing.

barner and klein make williams and beason expendable. that's not to say they are as good or better, but both are and will be solid players who would be able to get the job done....and save us money to improve other areas.

i expect beason's contract to be re-done soon.

Agreed.

Posted · Report post

This news literally made my week.....I hated the thought of losing this guy.

3 people like this