Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Deangelo Williams Restructures Contract

Carolina Panthers

Best Answer catfang, 15 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Nice!!  Man its good to have real football people running the FO.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#181 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Excellent news, I wonder what incentive was used to leverage, because with how his contract was he didn't have to do anything and still get paid

DWill is a class act.  He does not seem to mind sharing carries and glory with JStew. (That trait is rare)   It is so cool how they celebrate each other's successes.  I think he likes being a Panther.

You know that Hurney has been telling people the contracts for Williams and Beason were demanded by Richardson, who adores both players.  Presumably, Gettleman was able to get permission to restructure, maybe as part of his discussions before he took the job.

I could see JR telling Hurney to get it done.  Don't think he said be stupid.  Hurney blaming JR....trying to get another GM job?

#182 G spot

G spot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

the amount of time i spent reading dwill contract threads and such... gawd 

tear it up this yr DWill!!

#183 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

No, he's still a Panther.

You and FP are right, we still have Poole. The guy I was thinking of was Darrell Green's kid, the WR some were high on. He signed a futures contract with Dallas.

Thanks for helping me reorganize my brain, an oft needed activity.

#184 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,013 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Who were the idiots claiming Gettleman was just Hurney 2.0?

#185 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 3,015 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

CRA..

#186 O-Ther

O-Ther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMCO

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

and panther4life agreeing with his post

#187 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Who were the idiots claiming Gettleman was just Hurney 2.0?

Restructuring to keep a 30 yr old RB? Done whatever to keep HIS boy. You guys are right...Hurney would have NEVER done that...

Now that Hurney is gone people act as if he could do nothing...

All Gettlemen has done is gotten rid of Anderson. A move made in large part bc Luke stole Beason's gig....and now has to get on the field.

This is still Hurney's roster in reality. Gettlemen obviously didn't think Hurney built too bad of a team....or simply doesn't have the authority to do that much.

#188 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

You and FP are right, we still have Poole. The guy I was thinking of was Darrell Green's kid, the WR some were high on. He signed a futures contract with Dallas.

Thanks for helping me reorganize my brain, an oft needed activity.

No problem fellow Panther. I'm just glad that we were able to do it civil w/o all of the immaturity that normally goes on here...

#189 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

and panther4life agreeing with his post

Tell me what he was wrong about in his post.

#190 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • 13,330 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Somebody tell Joe Person

haha - if it were my contest, this post would be the winner. 

#191 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Restructuring to keep a 30 yr old RB? Done whatever to keep HIS boy. You guys are right...Hurney would have NEVER done that...

Now that Hurney is gone people act as if he could do nothing...

All Gettlemen has done is gotten rid of Anderson. A move made in large part bc Luke stole Beason's gig....and now has to get on the field.

This is still Hurney's roster in reality. Gettlemen obviously didn't think Hurney built too bad of a team....or simply doesn't have the authority to do that much.

All he did was cut Anderson? He restructured Ryan Kalil and J Stew's contract, got Gross to take a pay cut, resigned Captain Munneryln and Dwan Edwards at bargain prices. Brought in one of the better nickle backs in the game in DJ Moore. Brought in a mid tier player in MIke Mitchell looking to step up to starting role. Signed Dominik Hixon to give us another target. Helped our return woes with Tedd Ginn JR. He fixed DT in the draft. Now he has restructured DWill

Dave G has ton of sht this offseason with not much money to work with. He has improved this roster drastically.

#192 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Now he has restructured DWill

And in the case of DWill, he was able to keep a productive player while cutting out $8 million dollars in potential cap charges.

Yes, we will take a $2 million cap hit in 2016 when the final years void, but it's a safe bet the cap will be significantly higher by that time. Even if it isn't, $2 million is not that hard to make up.

One other thing...I think part of DWill's "demotion" last season was a desire by the coaches and FO to see how Stew did carrying the load, to see if they could safely jettison DWill this year. Once Stew went down and DWill finished the year strong, they may have decided to try to keep him if it could be done at a reasonable price. He's still getting more than he would probably get elsewhere, but it's a lot better deal for us than his old one.

#193 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

All he did was cut Anderson? He restructured Ryan Kalil and J Stew's contract, got Gross to take a pay cut, resigned Captain Munneryln and Dwan Edwards at bargain prices. Brought in one of the better nickle backs in the game in DJ Moore. Brought in a mid tier player in MIke Mitchell looking to step up to starting role. Signed Dominik Hixon to give us another target. Helped our return woes with Tedd Ginn JR. He fixed DT in the draft. Now he has restructured DWill

Dave G has ton of sht this offseason with not much money to work with. He has improved this roster drastically.

The Anderson cut was the only thing outside of the standard type actions Hurney would take. That was what the statement said.

Restructuring Hurney's guys? Hurney would have done that. Sign castoffs and backups? Hurney did that. Add a draft class? Hurney did that.

Only think Gettlemen has done that sticks out as a non Hurney type move given the situation was cutting Anderson.

Keeping the band together is was Hurney's MO. Gettlemen has pretty much done that...

If Hurney was here, outside of Anderson what else sticks out that wouldn't likely of done

#194 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

One other thing...I think part of DWill's "demotion" last season was a desire by the coaches and FO to see how Stew did carrying the load, to see if they could safely jettison DWill this year. Once Stew went down and DWill finished the year strong, they may have decided to try to keep him if it could be done at a reasonable price. He's still getting more than he would probably get elsewhere, but it's a lot better deal for us than his old one.

Demotion probably had a lot to do with 2011 and him being the better guy to have on the field.

#195 O-Ther

O-Ther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMCO

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

Tell me what he was wrong about in his post.

I was simply answering Ivan's question asking who the idiots were that think Gettleman is Hurney 2.0. Not making any comment about aforementioned post. I reserve the right to keep my opinion about that opinion to myself.

That is all.

You are dismissed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.