Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Deangelo Williams Restructures Contract

Carolina Panthers

Best Answer catfang, 15 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Nice!!  Man its good to have real football people running the FO.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#31 G()AT

G()AT

The Greatest of All Time

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

I wish Gettleman would drive over to Raleigh and slap Rutherford in his stupid fuging face.    fug you Rutherford, take some god damn notes on how to GM. 

Oh right, back on topic.   Saving 3.2 this year and 8 over the next 2..   winning!      

Interesting this occurred only a day after it has been hinted we are interested in Woodson.... 

#32 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Greg Hardy come get yo money....

Or Woodson for that matter.  Long term makes much more sense to lock up Greg before he has a monster season in his contract year....

#33 FreeArmanti

FreeArmanti

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Fug yes!

Bout that barner pick now...

Love barner but i guess he will only be a scat back assuming dwill and stew stay healthy

#34 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Everyone on here is saying gettle magic, I really think it is a more of a great move by D Will and shows that he really wants to be a Panther. Any moron could see something had to be done with his contract, but it would not be possible if D Will did not want to be here. I'm glad gettleman finished this, but any person would have done the same thing. Kind of GM 1.1 lite stuff.

Problem is GM 1.1 lite abilities have been lacking...we have been on free AOL cd-Rom GM style till Gettles.

#35 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,335 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

He is now perfect trade bait!

Win for everyone as he would have been cut and wouldn't have made nearly as much on the open market. He is now a viable trade option for teams looking for a RB....NE send us your 3rd....if he stays he is somewhat more affordable than he was before.

#36 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

.. also I'm wondering if the Barner pick was a strategy to convince DWill to restructure?

It def gave Gettle leverage and prob made DWill and his agent paranoid as hell

yeah, agreed. i think the barner pick up may have been the thing to seal the deal. 

#37 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

yeah, agreed. i think the barner pick up may have been the thing to seal the deal. 

He does give us the needed depth when one goes down. Same with Klein?

#38 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hell, if all our 5th and 6th round picks do is give us the leverage to shave millions off our cap for the next few years they were picks well spent.  That's more productive than 98% of 5th and 6th round picks turn out to be.

#39 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

Win/Win 

Panthers didn't want to cut or lose DeAngelo and DeAngelo would never have received that kind of pay in this RB market if he was released.

:goodjob:

#40 FreeArmanti

FreeArmanti

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yeah i know this is kind of far fetched but after that beason interview where he said Deangelo is the worst tipper and would be happy to be called that it would make sense that it would take some drastic like drafting barner to make dwill restructure

#41 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hell, if all our 5th and 6th round picks do is give us the leverage to shave millions off our cap for the next few years they were picks well spent.  That's more productive than 98% of 5th and 6th round picks turn out to be.

good point and good strategy if that is what we were doing.

barner and klein make williams and beason expendable. that's not to say they are as good or better, but both are and will be solid players who would be able to get the job done....and save us money to improve other areas.

i expect beason's contract to be re-done soon. 

#42 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

.. also I'm wondering if the Barner pick was a strategy to convince DWill to restructure?

It def gave Gettle leverage and prob made DWill and his agent paranoid as hell

I think you are on to something. This restructure might not have happened if it wasn't for that draft pick for Barner. It let DeAngelo and his agent know everyone is replaceable and DeAngelo's agent knows he would not have gotten this kind of money on the open market. It also lets us know the pressure was on DeAngelo and his agent for a while. Gettleman added to that pressure when he made that noncommittal comment to the media concerning DeAngelo.

That my huddle friends was Gettleman being gangsta !!

#43 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

So let me get this straight, did DeAngelo just take a paycut?

#44 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

And the crowd goes wild

#45 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Everyone on here is saying gettle magic, I really think it is a more of a great move by D Will  and shows that he really wants to be a Panther. Any moron could see something had to be done with his contract, but it would not be possible if D Will did not want to be here. I'm glad gettleman finished this, but any person would have done the same thing. Kind of GM 1.1 lite stuff.

DeAngelo had no choice.  Get cut and lose millions in a market that allows vets to retire rather than pay them, especially RB vets or restructure and take the money on the table and retire a Panther.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com