Photo
- - - - -

With 8.46 million do we go shopping or sign Hardy?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Beason might be expendable next year depending on how the season goes, that could also free some cap up next year if im correct. Idk how Gettlemen will approach this but from seeing what he has done so far you gotta know he's going to do whats best for the Panthers organization. Plus Cam deserves a contract extension believe it or not he's the face of our franchise(although i believe its Steve Smith).

#62 InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationJawJuh

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Regardless of what happens, we are not losing Hardy next season.  Worst case scenario is Hardy will be tagged.  With Cam, we don't necessarily have to give him a new contract next year.  He will have to prove he deserves to be locked up long term next year.  If I was Gettlemen, I would only consider giving Cam a new contract next year if he either has a MVP type season, or he wins one playoff game.  If he does neither, then no new contract next year.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize the tag for a DE is 16 million. (But then again, I think that was Pep's cap hit when he was franchised correct me if I'm wrong)

Well thank God you aren't Gettleman.  Lock up Cam before the Jets snag him up.  You resign cam after this season at all costs.

#63 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Regardless of what happens, we are not losing Hardy next season. Worst case scenario is Hardy will be tagged. With Cam, we don't necessarily have to give him a new contract next year. He will have to prove he deserves to be locked up long term next year. If I was Gettlemen, I would only consider giving Cam a new contract next year if he either has a MVP type season, or he wins one playoff game. If he does neither, then no new contract next year.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize the tag for a DE is 16 million. (But then again, I think that was Pep's cap hit when he was franchised correct me if I'm wrong)

only way your plan makes sense if if the panthers are 30mil under the cap, and we are no where close

#64 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Well thank God you aren't Gettleman. Lock up Cam before the Jets snag him up. You resign cam after this season at all costs.

not all costs can is under contact for 4 more seasons regardless and next year is just the first year we can renegotiate

#65 InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationJawJuh

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

not all costs can is under contact for 4 more seasons regardless and next year is just the first year we can renegotiate

...........maybe if you consider the tag procedure, but that can get ugly.  The man has literally put the offense on his back for chicken scraps these two years.  Pay that man.

#66 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

...........maybe if you consider the tag procedure, but that can get ugly.  The man has literally put the offense on his back for chicken scraps these two years.  Pay that man.

yep, based on production.....you could argue Cam has been the most underpaid player in the NFL the last 2 seasons.

#67 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

I say sign hardy, use leftovers for vet rentals. I look at signing hardy now as he has gotten better each year, and he has outplayed his rookie deal. If he comes out and has another pretty beastly year, he will be asking for more money. locking him up now with a 3-5 million per year contract is a possible steal in my opinion. 

#68 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Pay the man

#69 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

...........maybe if you consider the tag procedure, but that can get ugly. The man has literally put the offense on his back for chicken scraps these two years. Pay that man.

pay attention to the conversation

#70 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I don't see any reason to sign him now. That's the kind of stuff Hurney did to put the team in the situation Gettleman is cleaning up now. Keep Hardy hungry and deal with it next year.

#71 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Now this is just my honest opinion, and I'm probably going to be ripped for it, but I'll put it out there.  There's no question Cam has done a lot and put up spectacular numbers.  He has the skill to be the best QB in the league, and I believe he is the first QB to revolutionize the current prototypical viewpoint of the position. (A lot of people thought Vick would do that, but he never really had great success.  Cam I believe will successfully revolutionize the position in being an accurate passer, big, and mobile)

Yet in spite of all that, he still didn't put up MVP calibur numbers as of yet.  He set records, but at best he was only a probowl alternate his rookie year.  As far as the team go, he's yet to lead them to the playoffs.  My personal opinion is he's yet to deserve to receive the kind of contract, to put him on a Brady/Brees/Manning type level.  Again my personal opinion is, had Derek Anderson played these past two years, we would have made the playoffs each year.  I honestly believe that.  I'm not saying DA is better than Cam by any means!  Yet had Derek been in there, we would have been running the more traditional vertical offense, eliminating the grievous read options. (Which was the main thing holding this team back)  DA would have also depended more on the ground game, giving both D-Will and J-Stew more carries to do their thing.  So what I'm saying is, for all of Cam's ability, he's yet to show he's worth that new contract next year.

#72 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

I say sign hardy, use leftovers for vet rentals. I look at signing hardy now as he has gotten better each year, and he has outplayed his rookie deal. If he comes out and has another pretty beastly year, he will be asking for more money. locking him up now with a 3-5 million per year contract is a possible steal in my opinion. 

Even if we signed him long term now, he will be worth more that 5 million a year.  Seven to eight million a year is probably his range.

#73 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Gettleman is not going to overpay any players like Hurney did - He will be offered what he is worth or well let him walk.

#74 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

When you have a black cat as a mascot your players get injured after big money extensions.

#75 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,420 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Strengthen the right side of the o-line and start to feel out Hardy. If we could sign him for $6 or $7 million a year I would do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.