Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ESPN's Football Outsiders red flags the Carolina Panthers WR position

100 posts in this topic

Posted

Is it the car or the driver? The more Cam improves, the better the receivers become. Additionally, we're not going to win by throwing the ball first. My sense is the we'll use 2 TEs/ 2 WRs sets more than 1TE/3 WRs. My biggest hope is that we can find a 2nd receiver to really stretch the defense. We can be dangerous if somebody, anybody emerges.

More QBs when by throwing than not throwing....IMO. The great teams ride a QB. We need to move past the model of how to win with mediocre QB play

Posted

One of the WR's on this team is going to emerge. If I had to guess, I think it'll either be Lafell taking a huge step, or Gettis/Lamont Byrant becoming a vertical threat. 

At this point in his career, Ted Ginn is what he is, which is nothing more than a return man, a really good one I might add, but that's about it.

Posted

One of the WR's on this team is going to emerge. If I had to guess, I think it'll either be Lafell taking a huge step, or Gettis/Lamont Byrant becoming a vertical threat.

At this point in his career, Ted Ginn is what he is, which is nothing more than a return man, a really good one I might add, but that's about it.

True dat. But Ginn >= Pilares + AE ( i might add Gettis into this as well but his ceiling is higher than these two). so as for the roster move it makes sense.

I also honk this article was written by Cpt. Obvious.

Posted

i brushed it off until that last stat...smh

I think that all of us would like to brush this off. I want to be optimistic. I want Ginn, Hixon and Lafell to break out, even though when I think about it there is no reason to believe that any one of them will. I want to believe that Gettis, Adams or Bryant will be the surprise of the league---at least the division or team, but that is probably too much out of the scope of reality when I really think about it. I want to be positive and/or blissful.  Then you have articles like this that very much dampen the mood.  It's like coming off a high with your pretty hot chick, only to realize that she is just a plain Jane (or maybe a little worse). 

Posted

Damn step away from the ledge, wtf is wrong with you doom and gloomers.

Posted

I wonder how people would have reacted if we went Eifert at 14 and kawann at 44.

Posted

Historically, the Panthers have not drafted well with WR.  Other than #89, and #87....the Panthers really have not had much success drafting WR.  And #89 was drafted in the 3rd as a PR/KR not as a WR by Seifart.  I don't think the Panthers had a clue what they were getting with that 3rd round pick. 

It's not like they have not tried to correct the WR situation...they have just been very bad at it. 

They drafted Colbert 2(62) in 2004, Jarrett 2 (45) in 2007, Robinson 4 (118) in 2007, and all were busts.  And then they tried again in 2010 with LaFell 3 (78), Edwards 3 (89), and Gettis 6 (198) with only limited success as a whole group.  They gave it a half-hearted try again in 2011 with Pilares 5 (132), and 2012 with Adams 4 (104).  Other than LaFell (with only limited success) nobody has really done anything at this point.  The jury is still out on Adams, Gettis, and Pilares but I would say this is the make or break year for those guys.  Someone needs to step up this year if they want to be in the NFL next year. 

Posted

Everytime I see a reference to ESPN Insider I'm amazed they actually manage to sell that content.

Hopefully the OP hacked the site and got it for free because Insider doesn't have anything you couldn't find on a variety of free sites (starting with the Huddle, for example).

Posted

Funny how me and a few others have been preaching this since before the draft and now EVERYONE outside of the Panthers organization is saying the same thing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Funny how me and a few others have been preaching this since before the draft and now EVERYONE outside of the Panthers organization is saying the same thing.

some of us have been saying this for years. did the same thing about getting a real QB with a future rather than one that was just likeable and that you'd like to grill out with.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wonder how people would have reacted if we went Eifert at 14 and kawann at 44.

You think people are in meltdown mode now? The boards would have been offline for awhile lol.

Posted

Last 15 years...first two rounds.

Grand total of 2 2nd rounders. I wouldn't call that investing in the position

1 person likes this