Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Extending Greg Hardy now would be a big mistake.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

HUDDLER

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

I do not get the logic of locking up Hardy now for a long term deal. Yes he had a breakout year last year but im very much against extending a player that has only had one good year. I keep hearing "well if we wait until next season, he will cost more because he will match or exceed last year's perfrmance." Sure, its a possiblity. But its also a possibility he under performs and we can sign him for a reasonable amount.

Not only that but even if he does outperform, im still not sure I would want to pay him big money. With Dwan, Short, Star and CJ, its not hard to have just a average player at DE come in and look like a force. If Frank Alexander has a solid performance I say it might be worth it to let Hardy walk and continue on with big Frank.

#2 Taro ∆

Taro ∆

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

You were a huge mistake.

#3 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Please, stop it. 

#4 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

can we please raise the post count req to 300??

#5 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sorry, hate me if you must but I agree with CharlottePanther, Hardy is one of my favorite current Panthers but I need to see a second solid season, after that I don't care how much we pay him. I highly highly doubt he is a one year wonder but anything is possible.

#6 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'd have no problem either way, but if he has a similar year to last year his asking price is going to go up based on that additional year of Pro Bowl-caliber play regardless.

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,417 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

The logic is, say Greg Hardy just has a flat out amazing year (12+ sacks, which he is capable of imho), the advantage of locking him up now would be that we might actually be able to get him cheaper than we could once he hits the open market.

However, there is always a chance that he regresses (which I personally don't think he will).

#8 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I've said this before, I won't be surprised if we let Hardy walk.

#9 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Sorry, hate me if you must but I agree with CharlottePanther, Hardy is one of my favorite current Panthers but I need to see a second solid season, after that I don't care how much we pay him. I highly highly doubt he is a one year wonder but anything is possible.

Ok I'll give a semi serious response to this.

Hardy coming out was considered a top 10 pick in the draft the year before but fell to us in the 6th round the following year because of various reasons, he has consistently improver every year and had now again turned into the player that had him projected as a top 10 pick in the draft.

so basically he's turned into exactly what we thought he could turn into from the start.

now with that said would you rather pay him now, sign him on the cheap or watch him put another stellar season together and watch him walk out the door instead.

I feel more comfortable with signing him now because of the history with him.

I honestly believe that if he puts another season together like last without a contract he's out the door because we would not be able to afford both him and Cam in the same year.

#10 Jakob

Jakob

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Ok I'll give a semi serious response to this.

Hardy coming out was considered a top 10 pick in the draft the year before but fell to us in the 6th round the following year because of various reasons, he has consistently improver every year and had now again turned into the player that had him projected as a top 10 pick in the draft.

so basically he's turned into exactly what we thought he could turn into from the start.

now with that said would you rather pay him now, sign him on the cheap or watch him put another stellar season together and watch him walk out the door instead.

I feel more comfortable with signing him now because of the history with him.

I honestly believe that if he puts another season together like last without a contract he's out the door because we would not be able to afford both him and Cam in the same year.

I mean hell, what do I know.. I'm just fug

#11 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

also never under estimate the value of 2 book end DE's it's worth the risk to sign him now and him regress then if he booms and walks

#12 Jakob

Jakob

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Here is Hardy's career stats year by year for anyone wondering..

CgKCzTR.png

#13 G spot

G spot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

i want that mf maniac on my mf team!

#14 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

I do not get the logic of locking up Hardy now for a long term deal. Yes he had a breakout year last year but im very much against extending a player that has only had one good year. I keep hearing "well if we wait until next season, he will cost more because he will match or exceed last year's perfrmance." Sure, its a possiblity. But its also a possibility he under performs and we can sign him for a reasonable amount.

Not only that but even if he does outperform, im still not sure I would want to pay him big money. With Dwan, Short, Star and CJ, its not hard to have just a average player at DE come in and look like a force. If Frank Alexander has a solid performance I say it might be worth it to let Hardy walk and continue on with big Frank.

tumblr_lv8x8gGrYj1qd7fz7.gif

#15 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

• HUDDLER
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I mean hell, what do I know.. I'm just fug

hey that's a kind response from me, if I thought it was totally ridicules thing to say I would have responded with my normal verbal beat down that I normally do to the stupid people.

your thought does have ground to it, i just think the advantages of signing him now out weigh the risk 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com