Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extending Greg Hardy now would be a big mistake.

77 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd rather wait, not because of what Hardy does or doesn't do next season, but because of Alexander. If Frank the Tank has at least 5 sacks this season as a rotational guy, which I think he's capable of, then that gives us not only leverage in extending Hardy, but also in restructuring CJ.

If Frank Alexander shows some potential, then I think we can sign Hardy and restructure Johnson both into the 6-8 mil / year range, which I think is reasonable for their skills and numbers. CJ is great and all, but 10 mil/year for a DE should be reserved for guys like Ware and Allen who are putting up 20 sack seasons.

Posted

I think the main problem people have with extending Hardy is that they think it is going to cost us CJ money. It's not going to cost nearly that much to keep him.

exactly. gettleman isn't going to pay over market value and right now the best DEs are signing deals that average about $5mil a year....unless you're dumb enough to tag them.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry, hate me if you must but I agree with CharlottePanther, Hardy is one of my favorite current Panthers but I need to see a second solid season, after that I don't care how much we pay him. I highly highly doubt he is a one year wonder but anything is possible.

I agree need another year.  PLus do we really need all that money tide in the Defensive line?  We do that and we wont have money for other postions.

Posted

You do realize if we do it now we can basically steal him.... Offer him what Avril, Bennett, or Osi got on a multi year contract and we have our DE's set for years 

1 person likes this

Posted

It's a calculated risk.  Either you bet on him by signing him this year or you bet against him by waiting.  I'm betting on him.

Posted

Plus, we resigned CJ after one good year.  And we paid out the ass for it because he was a FA.  Waiting til Hardy is a FA will drive up the price just based on the competition.  If we can say "look at what Avril and those guys got" and say those were guys with a year or two more production, lets take 5% off of that I don't see how Hardy's agent can balk.  That would be a STEAL for him for the long term.  If I had to guess I wouldn't think the market will go any further down next year than it was this year.  It was pretty low.  Definitely a buyers market.  Better to get it done now than wait til next year when A: the market will more likely go up than down and B: we have to compete for him.

Posted

Dont be retarded. Sign this dude now

2 people like this

Posted

Anyone who watched Panthers games last year can see that Hardy is no fluke....the guy is a straight up beast.  Dominant in the run game, dominant in the pass game, relentless motor, hard hitter...everything you could ask for on the field.  Even the year before with his 4-sack season, I remember thinking that guy was something special.  And he has an attitude we need on our team, you can tell he takes pride in our team and what he does on the field.  So barring any injuries, I don't think there's any chance he won't have many dominant seasons to come.  I don't care if we extend him now or after the season...but I NEED that man on my team!

1 person likes this

Posted

Tough situation.

We can sign him now for less than he'll want next season, or we can use the money to patch some holes, or we can save up for free agency next season.

Its all up to Gettles and I trust him to make the right decision like he's done consistently.

Posted

You don't give the most volatile player on the team a big contract. Hardy could become a multiyear pro bowler or spend his signing bonus on 50 strippers and run off to Mexico. You put a carrot on a stick for guys like that.

Posted

The guy has a legitimate topic and opinion and you all attack him right away. This is why neg rep went away.

Stop being dicks.

Posted

No need to lock him up now. He has another year and we should let his contract play out. If we re-sign him now at a so-called bargain price and he has a huge year or several big years, he won't be happy and we could have a hold out situation. What I'm saying is we need to pay him market value, whatever that is.