Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We made National Football Post's pressure index (for what it's worth).

20 posts in this topic

Posted

The saints probably should be on that list too. Was last season an aberration, will Sean's return renergize this team, or are they on the downside of their run like Pittsburg.

Analysts pretty much view the Saints' last season as a product of missing their coach(es). Everyone expects them to bounce right back. If they don't, then you'll probably begin to hear the beginnings of grumblings (in its infancy, perhaps).

As for the Steelers, I don't know about being on the "downside of their run", but more like an adjustment period to right the ship towards greater things. Their draft of Jarvis Jones, LeVeon Bell, Marcus Wheaton, and Shamarko Thomas should make their doubters, subtractors and haters do a doubletake. History has proven that they are never really "out of it". Another smart draft---which they always seem to have---will put them squarely back as a top contender.

Posted

I think that I might be the only person who thinks this Panther team could be special.  The "pressure" is one reason, but I really like what we have going on.  We are so underrated at positions it has caused this team to be questioned.  Last year was obviously not the year, but this year is.  Here is why...

We lost games because teams attacked our glaring weaknesses.  Nakamura cost us the game in Atlanta and Cutler and Marshall picked apart a fifth-round rookie from Coastal Carolina for another win.  We dominated both games.  If we won, would this article be diffferent?  I think so.

People think we are going to be chewed up in the secondary this year because we were last year.  However, the lights came on and they played fairly weill down the stretch.  Thomas, Norman, Dockery, Munnerlyn, DJ Moore, Mitchell, and Campbell were late-round draft picks with upside.  They have been developing on schedule. I expect to see a very average-not poor-secondary next year made better by the best front 7 in the NFL.

On offense, I think they know something we do not know.  I think Gettlemen was referring to pass catchers when he said, "Sometimes the best upgrades are on your own roster."  How many of us have written off David Gettis?  How many of us have considered why we did not sign a pass-catching TE and then thought, "Nelson Rosario," who spent the season converting from WR at UCLA (1000+ yards) by adding 10 pounds of muscle to his 6-5 frame?  How many think Joe Adams and Kealoha Pilares are done? 

The problems with the offense corrected themselves to a large degree when they ran a more conventional offense.  Expect it to continue--and expect our RBs to get some holes opened.  Silatolu and Kugbila will be dominant run blockers, something the "experts" seem to be overlooking.  We will run the ball to set up the pass.  The read option will be minimized and Cam will be better.  Yas got that right.

Teams ran the ball on us last year, but the real problem was a lack of pressure. That exposed our DBs.  Those days are over.  Expect teams to resort to a quicker passing attack, three-step drops and slants.  Remember that most of our DBs are not pure cover guys like Revis but they are ball hawks--this plays into that mindset.  Robert Lester, DJ Moore, Captain, Norman, etc. all have high interception numbers.  however, these players struggle when the QB can take a 5 step drop, survey the field and throw without pressure in his face. Again, those days are over.

The biggest factor:  They are writing off Cam Newton.  He is tired of the Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson crap.  And who do we get for the first game of they year in Charlotte?  Russell Wilson.  Do you think Cam does not know that?

3 people like this

Posted

i love the howdhedodats at yahoo

Posted

Anything short of getting into the playoffs in any year is considered a failure imo. This year is no different.

Posted

We're due for a winning season anyways.

Posted

I believe we are good enough to make the playoffs. However, we are in the NFC not the AFC. So grabbing one of those wildcard spots will be tough. Lets just say that packers, redskins, falcons, and 49ers taje their divisions. That only leaves two spots open. Teams left that could seriously be competing for them? Seattle, Saints, Bucs, Giants, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Cowboys, Philly, Rams, and us.......OUCH.

And we play 8 of the 10 you listed. This is the biggest case of "control your own destiny" that I have seen in awhile
1 person likes this

Posted

If the D-Line comes along as expected, the best predictor for our success will then ride on how our O-Line holds up.  If that clocks in at above average or better, then we have a better than average shot at not just the playoffs, but pushing further

Posted

The Panthers have a large opportunity to set the tone for their season early.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Lose two big games at home in Sept to Seattle and the Giants, and well, same old Panthers.

Come out and look like an assured pro team with a Coach who has a clue how to coach a game, win at home, sky is the limit.

Momenteum means a lot.

If this team does not have a winning season this year, its over for Rivera.  I don't know what to think of him but until he beats a better team in the playoff hunt, meaning something to play for, I find it hard to think of him as much more than a nice guy who should have stayed a D-coordinator.