790 replies to this topic

#196 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

I wasn't offended by it, so I assume he wasn't talking to me.

Just because you weren't offended by it doesn't mean he didn't say it to everyone.  Just like any racist comment.  Full circle.  So if he called me a Honkey you and you weren't one, you wouldn't be offended because he wasn't talking to you.

#197 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

i had a great response formulated by page 3. it was thoughtful and evocative and would probably have illuminated a number of hidden complexities that make this issue so obtuse by nature.

then i made the mistake of reading the next eleven pages and my brain has melted from all the bullshit and that post is gone

Pretty sure you've already had a post like that from a previous race/stereotype discussion thread.  Just find that and copy it here. 

I was waiting for you to bring order to this poo show.

#198 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just because you weren't offended by it doesn't mean he didn't say it to everyone.  Just like any racist comment.  Full circle.  So if he called me a Honkey you and you weren't one, you wouldn't be offended because he wasn't talking to you.

If you can't see the difference in simple name-calling and the use of racist terms, then I can't help you.

My original responses to you specifically were more in jest and lighter than I think you've taken them so, with that, I'll step away from our aside.

#199 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

See thats the problem.  The gray area.  Calling someone names either race based or not is wrong.  So I'll say this and leave.  If you can say anything nice, then shut your mouth.  Keep the poo to yourself.  So there is no difference.  If you don't agree with someone then disagree.  You don't have to call them a moron or a honkey.  Maybe that's just me. 

#200 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,782 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I think you need to dig deeper. He quit because he realized that he was perpetuating racism. Watch his Oprah interview.

I would like to see that.

I imagine what he meant was that the show became so incredibly popular, a lot of people began to take his show the wrong way.  Like, "A black guy is saying this, so I can be racist too!".  When really his show was much deeper than just some stereotypical jokes. 

I'm 100% sure Dave had no earthly idea how popular those skits would become.  He and his writing partner Neal (a white guy) wrote some of the best comedy of our generation IMO.  And it leaned heavily on racial stereotypes.

#201 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Most of the stereotypes our society attributes to race are actually due to economics.

#202 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,221 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

It most definitely was. He was doing the exact same thing that Bwood was doing, he was just better at hiding it - apparently anyhow. 

yeah the tipping thing was most definitely only because i am aware of the stereotype.

weirdly enough ive never been asked if im a poor tipper...or why i choose to be a poor tipper

#203 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

That dude looks like he could probably woop my ass, too.

Just like these guys:

5luuIN9o.jpg

Bleh surenos

#204 PanthersBigD

PanthersBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

14 pages and STILL no solution to racism!? Come on you guys!!

#205 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

i had a great response formulated by page 3. it was thoughtful and evocative and would probably have illuminated a number of hidden complexities that make this issue so obtuse by nature.

then i made the mistake of reading the next eleven pages and my brain has melted from all the bullshit and that post is gone

high five, literally same thing happened to me when I went to respond to Kurb's comment re: racists having friends of different races. :P

#206 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Most of the stereotypes our society attributes to race are actually due to economics.

I agree to an extent, although one could argue that economic conditions, at least irt African Americas, are in some part due to race.   If you look at most of the races that immigrated to the US, they came here to make a better life for themselves.  Irish, German, Chinese, Japanese, Hispanics, and others have largely come here with a purpose.  And eventually managed to integrate themselves into American society.  Africans were the only race who were brought here against their will, and I do believe that made it harder for them to integrate and prosper.  They started off well behind the others. I think integration is starting to happen now, but due to many things including slavery and the Civil War, it has taken much longer than the other races. 

#207 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I tend to run into the same problem. I have this great response planned, then I keep reading......eventually my original post idea gets washed away by all these other thoughts and facepalm reactions to the stupidity that I've continued to read. I end up just sniper responding to a couple posts. 

#208 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

So 14 pages in and master shake was the only one to pony up with proof. Good on you dude.

#209 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,322 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Most of the stereotypes our society attributes to race are actually due to economics.

Very. Very true

#210 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,322 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

I tend to run into the same problem. I have this great response planned, then I keep reading......eventually my original post idea gets washed away by all these other thoughts and facepalm reactions to the stupidity that I've continued to read. I end up just sniper responding to a couple posts.

high five, literally same thing happened to me when I went to respond to Kurb's comment re: racists having friends of different races. :P

I apologize for honestly trying to understand something and ask reall questions and givereal honest responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.