Photo
- - - - -

This Passes For An Education?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#25 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

How are we in this day and age and we still confuse "religious belief" and "education"? What demented parent sends their child to a Christian school like that? A Christian school that, you know, teaches actual science, history, etc. BUT ALSO teaches religious stuff in a SEPARATE class is fine. Attempting to take the Ken Ham route and intertwine the two is just awful. Don't get me wrong, a private school is entitled to teach what they want...but don't they feel an obligation to educate their children on the discoveries of science and what history actually says about certain things? Don't they feel an obligation to have them as prepared as other students are when they get to college? The amount of kids in my biology classes during college that either didn't know a thing about evolution or declared it "propaganda" or "just a theory" just blew my mind, and schools like this are part of the problem.

Seth Andrews (of The Thinking Atheist site and podcast, which I HIGHLY recommend) made this awesome video.

#26 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

How are we in this day and age and we still confuse "religious belief" and "education"? What demented parent sends their child to a Christian school like that? A Christian school that, you know, teaches actual science, history, etc. BUT ALSO teaches religious stuff in a SEPARATE class is fine. Attempting to take the Ken Ham route and intertwine the two is just awful. Don't get me wrong, a private school is entitled to teach what they want...but don't they feel an obligation to educate their children on the discoveries of science and what history actually says about certain things? Don't they feel an obligation to have them as prepared as other students are when they get to college? The amount of kids in my biology classes during college that either didn't know a thing about evolution or declared it "propaganda" or "just a theory" just blew my mind, and schools like this are part of the problem.

Seth Andrews (of The Thinking Atheist site and podcast, which I HIGHLY recommend) made this awesome video.

There you go, using logic. 

It's perfectly understandable, just don't let it happen again.

#27 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

My husband went to an apologetics conference the other week. It was a southern evangelical one the type that buys into yec. Hes been before. There is still a griup trying to hold on to it but there has been a big push to distance themselves from it. He heard a lot more people talk about fitting science into the bible which is funny and requires a lot of mental gymnastics but its better then saying science is a big lie. He heard many say they are losing young souls because yec conflicts so much with science. Anyways I thought thst was interesting.

Oh yeah btw those apologist are batshit crazy. The things arguments he heard would make for a fun thread but take too much time to post about

#28 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

I agree but I tend to think most believe they are teaching their children the truth and giving them the best foundation possible. I think for the most part the Intentions are good they are just ignorant and a bit brainwashed.

Edit: my highly intelligent best friend who went to yhe best public high school in Charlotte and was in mostly ap class couldn't believe that I thought evolution and the bbt were tru/very likely. And she lives in NY now. Though all her NY friends looked at her funny when they found out what she thought.

#29 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

Administrators

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Oh so she went to Myers Park? :)

#30 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

No, because parents that send their kids to schools like that expect to send their kids to schools like Liberty, Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts, or something similar.

#31 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

No, because parents that send their kids to schools like that expect to send their kids to schools like Liberty, Bob Jones University, Oral Roberts, or something similar.

Fair point. I guess I just see it as the height of irresponsibility as a parent to indoctrinate the young like that so they never question. It shows how desperate the evangelicals are to maintain their following. Target the weak as well as the young and impressionable, make them dependent on the religion and teach them that their unquestioning faith is of the utmost importance in life, and voila! Your religion survives in the age of easy access to information.

#32 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Organizations like AIG aren't really interested in proving their position at all.  Which is why they shouldn't even be remotely involved in anything other than telling people if Genesis didn't literally happened, then Christianity falls apart.  That is the only point I agree with Ken Ham on.