Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scathing article about Beason and his contract

133 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This thread is going places.

Posted · Report post

Willis was just about universally viewed as slightly better than Beason when that deal was signed . Splitting hairs...but most outside Carolina weren't debating that. It was a standard Hurney overpay

also, just bc a player gets a deal....in no way means there is nothing wrong with a franchise not honoring it. You have to cut and run sometimes. Only way.

Agree 100%.  But don't bitch (not you personally) about it because we owe him 16 million.  We (Hurney) were the ones that guaranteed the money.  Guarantee means Guarantee.

Don't be pissed at Beason for taking what we guaranteed.

Just like the DeAngelo deal happened, I hope Beason's happens the same way.  No one really heard about it until the deal was done.

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't say CJ has outproduced Pep....he has filled the spot pretty dang well. He was overpaid though.

You can just look up the production stats... its pretty damn clear.

Since pep went to chicago

pep has 130 tackles, 30.5 sacks, and 7 FF.

CJ has 143 tackles, 33 sacks, and 9 FF.

Sure it isn't a massive difference in production, but when you compare their contracts we easily have the better contract.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Sure it isn't a massive difference in production, but when you compare their contracts we easily have the better contract.

Per pro football reference, in that time span.

CJ has 1.5 more sacks
Pep has 1 more FF
Pep has 5 more FR
Pep has 2 more INTs
Pep has 7 more PD
CJ has 13 more tackles

Both contracts are bad.

Posted · Report post

CJ is the 3rd highest paid DE in the league, but he isn't a top 5 DE! Top 10, yes!

Outside of maybe Jared Allen, what other 4-3 DEs are better than CJ?  I highly doubt you can name more than 3...

I mean Pierre Paul certainly has more talent... but he's pretty darn inconsistent.

Peppers is in the same boat.

Wake I know floated about as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB for a bit... not entirely sure where that puts him.

Chris Long is a really solid young and up and coming player but I wouldn't say he's as good as CJ.

CJ is easily in that blurry top 5 area in terms of being an all around effective 4-3 DE.

Posted · Report post

We lucked into a better deal, no doubt! At the same time, Pep hasn't been living up to his contract either

Posted · Report post

Per pro football reference, in that time span.

CJ has 1.5 more sacks
Pep has 1 more FF
Pep has 5 more FR
Pep has 2 more INTs
Pep has 7 more PD
CJ has 13 more tackles

Well one source is wrong obv.  And we are really gonna include pass defenses?

Can we also add in random stats from PFF and what not showing CJs superior pass rushing productivity?

Case in point is that considering what each player gets paid (and their respective age), the grass is greener over here.

Posted · Report post

Outside of maybe Jared Allen, what other 4-3 DEs are better than CJ? I highly doubt you can name more than 3...

I mean Pierre Paul certainly has more talent... but he's pretty darn inconsistent.
Wake I know floated about as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB for a bit... not entirely sure where that puts him.
Chris Long is a really solid young and up and coming player but I wouldn't say he's as good as CJ.

CJ is easily in that blurry top 5 area in terms of being an all around effective 4-3 DE.

As far as 4-3 DE, he is in a blurry top 5, as of last year!

Posted · Report post

Outside of maybe Jared Allen, what other 4-3 DEs are better than CJ? I highly doubt you can name more than 3...

CJ isn't Mr. Conisistant either....there was a lot of moaning this past year about him not doing enough.

For example...CJ had 10 games with no sacks in 2012.

Posted · Report post

Well one source is wrong obv. And we are really gonna include pass defenses?

Can we also add in random stats from PFF and what not showing CJs superior pass rushing productivity?

Case in point is that considering what each player gets paid (and their respective age), the grass is greener over here.

Peppers IMO was never a pure pass rusher....diversity is what made him special. He was freakishly diverse.

CJ is a better pass rusher IMO despite not even being a speed rusher. Pep can do more well IMO.

Posted · Report post

Even if he plays very well this season, he is wildly over paid for an OLB.

He either restructures next year or will be released.

Arguably, he was overpaid for a MLB as well.   He was not the best in the NFL. 

Posted · Report post

Arguably, he was overpaid for a MLB as well.   He was not the best in the NFL. 

If he wasnt number 1 he was definitely a close number 2 at the time behind Willis. Willis got an insane contract from the Niners so therefore Beason warranted close if not more than the same thing. Thats the way it went.