Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

Posted

Cosby has been saying this for decades. It was what, early 90s when he said nothing good can happen after 1am? IMHO Cosby has always stress personal responsibility.

Now if we can get Obama to do a picture pages skit.....that I'd like to see.

Posted

Obama is not a civil rights leader, he's a politician. And using a distinguished school like Morehouses graduation to give this speech is funny. Maybe at a youth center it would be appropriate, but at an event filled with future doctors and lawyers. These students obviously havent made "excuses" pursuing their education. Obama and Bill Cosby say these things to gain approval with whites and it looks like it worked.

That's not what Obama was saying, if you read his actual words.  He was saying that these graduates need to go out and pass this knowledge on and be role models for others in the black community.

Just a few select quotes:

One of the things you’ve learned over the last four years is there’s no longer any room for excuses,” - he's saying they already know they won't get anywhere with excuses.

“be a good role model and set a good example for that young brother coming up.”

“It betrays a poverty of ambition if all you think about is what goods you can buy instead of what good you can do,” he said, suggesting that those who go on to become lawyers “find time to defend the powerless” or that those who go into business consider “what broader purpose your business might serve, in putting people to work, or transforming a neighborhood.”

“Keep setting an example for what it means to be a man,” he said. “Be the best husband to your wife, or boyfriend to your partner, or father to your children that you can be. Because nothing is more important.”

I only wish more black leaders would push these messages.

6 people like this

Posted

Our best and brightest get "pound cake" speeches on their graduation day.

Meanwhile the murder rate in Obama's hometown is thru the roof and not a word or action from the Prez. Wont even consider the lost lives a "national tragedy" since theyre not white.

Obama is a politician, he has never been activist or civil rights leader.

Posted

Meanwhile the murder rate in Obama's hometown is thru the roof and not a word or action from the Prez. Wont even consider the lost lives a "national tragedy" since theyre not white.

What do you think he should do in regards to Chicago's gang and murder epidemic?

What would you do as an activist or civil rights leader?

Posted

This is why no one takes you seriously KT. So now Obama is so pro-white he doesn't care about Chicago murder victims?

Besides the obvious point (I assume you're comparing the situation in Chicago to Sandy Hook) that it's an apples and oranges comparison... the Chicago situation being multiple acts of violence vs a one time event at Sandy Hook.

As CK said, what is Obama supposed to do? He's the president... not the police, the mayor of Chicago or any other law enforcement official...

I agree something needs done up there, but I don't think the president is the one to look to for getting it done.

We're getting a tad off topic with that discussion, so I'll bring it back by saying that what Obama said in that speech applies to everyone... black, white or otherwise... he made a lot of sense.

Posted

We're getting a tad off topic with that discussion, so I'll bring it back by saying that what Obama said in that speech applies to everyone... black, white or otherwise... he made a lot of sense.

Agree with that 100000%

Posted

What do you think he should do in regards to Chicago's gang and murder epidemic?

He could bring attention to it like he did the Boston bombing or Sandy Hook. He's not the mayor of Boston, or Newtown, CT, but that dont stop him from speaking on what happens there and deeming it a "national tragedy". He could devote resources to it. Instead he just puts it under his "gun reform" agenda, but nothing SPECIFIC to african americans the way he has done gays and latins in the past. Obama ever since Reverend Wright is paranoid about aligning himself too closely to black issues because he's terrified it'll alienate white folks from his base. Remember when the Rev Wright stuff was going on Obama was depicted by the right as being "overly pro black" and "hating white people".

What would you do as an activist or civil rights leader?

The first thing is "act". Get on the front lines. Instead of speeches at Ivy League schools, and black elite schools like Morehouse, go out there on the front lines and talk to the kids and the people in that community. That is what the Sharpton's do, that is what others do. Sharpton has taken a knife in the gut for what he's believed in, he's spent months in jail for what he's believed in. HE WILL ACTUALLY GO ON THE FRONT LINES AND ACT, thats not Obama or his lane. He is a politician that must do as all politicians do, pander to his base. Activists and Civil Rights Leaders pander to a cause.

Posted

He could bring attention to it like he did the Boston bombing or Sandy Hook. He's not the mayor of Boston, or Newtown, CT, but that dont stop him from speaking on what happens there and deeming it a "national tragedy". He could devote resources to it. Instead he just puts it under his "gun reform" agenda, but nothing SPECIFIC to african americans the way he has done gays and latins in the past. Obama ever since Reverend Wright is paranoid about aligning himself too closely to black issues because he's terrified it'll alienate white folks from his base. Remember when the Rev Wright stuff was going on Obama was depicted by the right as being "overly pro black" and "hating white people".

The first thing is "act". Get on the front lines. Instead of speeches at Ivy League schools, and black elite schools like Morehouse, go out there on the front lines and talk to the kids and the people in that community. That is what the Sharpton's do, that is what others do. Sharpton has taken a knife in the gut for what he's believed in, he's spent months in jail for what he's believed in. HE WILL ACTUALLY GO ON THE FRONT LINES AND ACT, thats not Obama or his lane. He is a politician that must do as all politicians do, pander to his base. Activists and Civil Rights Leaders pander to a cause.

Being on the front lines is awesome and all..but the question is exactly WHAT do you think he could do....to actually try to correct the problem of gang violence.

Posted

Being on the front lines is awesome and all..but the question is exactly WHAT do you think he could do....to actually try to correct the problem of gang violence.

Fix the unemployment rate that disproportionately affects blacks. When you dont work, you don't eat. And when people don't eat, they turn to a life of crime.

Stress economic empowerment and small business ownership in the black community. You speaking at Morehouse College a black elite school and not one word on ECONOMICS?

It's not on Obama to "fix the gang problem" thats been a part of Chicago for decades. But to not even mention it publicly or deem it a "national tragedy" says a lot. The murder rate is INSANE.

1 person likes this

Posted

Fix the unemployment rate that disproportionately affects blacks. When you dont work, you don't eat. And when people don't eat, they turn to a life of crime.

Stress economic empowerment and small business ownership in the black community. You speaking at Morehouse College a black elite school and not one word on ECONOMICS?

It's not on Obama to "fix the gang problem" thats been a part of Chicago for decades. But to not even mention it publicly or deem it a "national tragedy" says a lot. The murder rate is INSANE.

I too don't think that it's his baby.  I hate that the gun nuts want to go after the guns that aren't killing the majority of the people in the US.

IMO education, not employment is where this starts.  But that's just me.

Posted

IMO education, not employment is where this starts.  But that's just me.

It starts with a mother and father in the home engaged in the lives of their children.

There will never be enough money for schools and counselors to take the place of involved parents.

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother. 70%. Thats just unreal. I can't imagine going through highschool and what an idiot I was without a dad to set me straight.

2 people like this

Posted

It starts with a mother and father in the home engaged in the lives of their children.

There will never be enough money for schools and counselors to take the place of involved parents.

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother. 70%. Thats just unreal. I can't imagine going through highschool and what an idiot I was without a dad to set me straight.

I 100% agree with this.  No amount of time or money will ever help these kids until they have parents that care about the outcomes of their lives.

If some of these women are getting pregnant and having kids while still in their teen years, there is no way that a majority will turn out well.

I certainly don't know how to turn the tide though in some of these poor inner cities, and for that matter in the poor rural areas of the country.