Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

Marriage rates were higher immediately after slavery ended up until the 60s.

There goes your theory.

1 out of 9 black males go to jail in their prime marriage ages (20-34) not only taking them out of circulation, but making it difficult (yet not impossible) to get a good education, job, or even vote, but we want to skip over this fact like it's nothing?

Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to be on record of not putting up with this paternalistic "What's wrong with the ***** of today?" bs thread.

1 out of 9 is a little more than 10%, correct?

Yet the single parent families are ~70%.

That does not compute. You're arguing against yourself there.

Zod has a point... what's causing those other 8 guys to not get married?

so you are presenting on hypothesis that the reason for a higher incarceration rate is that that black men are more likely to engage in buying or selling large amounts of drugs than white people?

I'm not going to paint you as a racist or something for saying so.

I just have a hard time believing that black people really do engage in 'worse' criminal activities than white people.

None of my experience indicates this to be the case. The research I have seen seems to suggest the opposite, in many ways... That, while race may be a correlate, it is often a covariate with a more accurate explanatory variable being income level and other economic conditions.

All that being said... I'm a biologist... and I don't have formal training in any of this... so I'll gladly be corrected.

I assume this was to me.

If so, you read waaay to far into what I said.

When I said individual cases, I meant situations such as in North Carolina, drug possession is usually punishable by fines or imprisonment. We all agree that, in general, blacks are more likely to be in poverty. One can conclude that they are less likely to be able to pay the fine and would serve a sentence instead.

Although that is a simple conclusion to reach, I don't want to make that generalization without seeing individual cases. Though it makes some sense logically, reality could be completely different.

1 out of 9 is a little more than 10%, correct?

Yet the single parent families are ~70%.

That does not compute. You're arguing against yourself there.

Zod has a point... what's causing those other 8 guys to not get married?

Christ almighty.

Actually it would only be 5 of 8 of those other guys, my bad... and you can just call me biscuit, delhommey. thx.

I mean they really suck at two parent homes too. Look at the stats: Both blacks and Native Americans are at the bottom of just about every meaningful statistic.

Just so happens that blacks and Native Americans are the two minorities that became part of America against their will and were both part of systematic and purposeful multi-Century campaigns of suppression that only ended in the official sense about a generation ago, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Stop it, you're making them uncomfortable.

1 out of 9 black males go to jail in their prime marriage ages (20-34) not only taking them out of circulation, but making it difficult (yet not impossible) to get a good education, job, or even vote, but we want to skip over this fact like it's nothing?

Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to be on record of not putting up with this paternalistic "What's wrong with the Negro of today?" bs thread.

You still don't get it. You are so eager to find racism and paint it with that brush that you are willfully ignoring the actual conversation. It's lazy.

Native Americans didn't sell their own to the highest bidder. Very distinct dif in the two.

No but they did suffer a genocide rate greater - while over a vastly greater time frame  - than that of the Jews in WWII. Over a 400 year period the indigenous Native American population was reduced from around 15 million to 237,000, or approximately a 98.5% population reduction.

The question is this, forget race.

What happened in 1960 that caused the marriage rates of poorer americans to plummet. Whatever the answer, it effected black families disproportionately because more of their population was poor (probably due to racism/oppression/lack of opportunity). The poverty and oppression did not cause marriage rates to plummet, because those things were greater in the previous 70 years when marriage rates were higher. But something happened that was a catalyst. When added to the poverty it created an effect of a greater likelihood of single parenthood in poor people.

So it must have been something else that when added with poverty had a great effect on marriage rates. This is a societal question, not a racial one.

What happened in or around 1960 that made marriage rates free fall? Thats the real question.

chart_10_SocialMarriage.png

It was that damned JFK's womanizing ways.

It was that damned JFK's womanizing ways.

and Beach Boys music.

Stop it, you're making them uncomfortable.

If you can't have reasonable conversation, best not to sit at the adult table.