Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

Been doing a lot of reading on this stuff today. I am no where near educated on it at all, I can admit that.

But the fact that in 1920 black marriage was more common and children out of wedlock was less common than today really took me by surprise.

Are things harder now for black americans today than they were in 1920? More racism today than in 1920? I really am wanting to hear all opinions on how this can be. I have no clue.

Been doing a lot of reading on this stuff today. I am no where near educated on it at all, I can admit that.

But the fact that in 1920 black marriage was more common and children out of wedlock was less common than today really took me by surprise.

Are things harder now for black americans than today they were in 1920? More racism today than in 1920? I really am wanting to hear all opinions on how this can be. I have no clue.

This is not shocking to me in the least.

Turns out that black marriage was actually more common than white marriage from 1890 -1950 so there goes the theory that slavery destroyed the black marriage. Completely false according to US census records

http://www.irp.wisc.edu/publications/focus/pdfs/foc121e.pdf

I mentioned this earlier.

The US Gov is the new slaveholder that started destroying the black family

Did I really just read multiple pages saying black families have more single parent households because one parent is in jail?

Did I really just read multiple pages saying black families have more single parent households because one parent is in jail?

Pretty much....but it is not the fault of the person committing the crime. It is the fault if a racist judicial system.

no, though that appears to be how you've interpreted it. sounds like a "you" problem

Have we mentioned the fact that black males are incarcerated at 6.4 times the rate of white males? Just trying to keep up.

it was mentioned and straw manned to death

i actually went through the trouble of posting studies which controlled for the type of offense, so that a "wellll maybe black ppl just commit more crimes!" defense couldn't be used and yet, i just got a bunch of "well are they committing crimes or not?!?! are the gestapo dragging black ppl out of their homes?!?!?!"

Pretty much....but it is not the fault of the person committing the crime. It is the fault if a racist judicial system.

It's a little more complicated than that. Buuuuuuuuuut you won't get that.

see ...

see ...

who cares if they're being targeted and sent to jail at rates much higher than white ppl? who cares about the generational effects that incarceration can and does have on entire families? are they committing the crimes or not???????