440 replies to this topic

#16 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,381 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Our best and brightest get "pound cake" speeches on their graduation day.

Meanwhile the murder rate in Obama's hometown is thru the roof and not a word or action from the Prez. Wont even consider the lost lives a "national tragedy" since theyre not white.

Obama is a politician, he has never been activist or civil rights leader.

What do you think he should do in regards to Chicago's gang and murder epidemic?

What would you do as an activist or civil rights leader?

#17 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,981 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Our best and brightest get "pound cake" speeches on their graduation day.

Meanwhile the murder rate in Obama's hometown is thru the roof and not a word or action from the Prez. Wont even consider the lost lives a "national tragedy" since theyre not white.

Obama is a politician, he has never been activist or civil rights leader.

This is why no one takes you seriously KT. So now Obama is so pro-white he doesn't care about Chicago murder victims?

Besides the obvious point (I assume you're comparing the situation in Chicago to Sandy Hook) that it's an apples and oranges comparison... the Chicago situation being multiple acts of violence vs a one time event at Sandy Hook.

As CK said, what is Obama supposed to do? He's the president... not the police, the mayor of Chicago or any other law enforcement official...

I agree something needs done up there, but I don't think the president is the one to look to for getting it done.

We're getting a tad off topic with that discussion, so I'll bring it back by saying that what Obama said in that speech applies to everyone... black, white or otherwise... he made a lot of sense.

#18 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

We're getting a tad off topic with that discussion, so I'll bring it back by saying that what Obama said in that speech applies to everyone... black, white or otherwise... he made a lot of sense.

Agree with that 100000%

#19 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

What do you think he should do in regards to Chicago's gang and murder epidemic?

He could bring attention to it like he did the Boston bombing or Sandy Hook. He's not the mayor of Boston, or Newtown, CT, but that dont stop him from speaking on what happens there and deeming it a "national tragedy". He could devote resources to it. Instead he just puts it under his "gun reform" agenda, but nothing SPECIFIC to african americans the way he has done gays and latins in the past. Obama ever since Reverend Wright is paranoid about aligning himself too closely to black issues because he's terrified it'll alienate white folks from his base. Remember when the Rev Wright stuff was going on Obama was depicted by the right as being "overly pro black" and "hating white people".

What would you do as an activist or civil rights leader?

The first thing is "act". Get on the front lines. Instead of speeches at Ivy League schools, and black elite schools like Morehouse, go out there on the front lines and talk to the kids and the people in that community. That is what the Sharpton's do, that is what others do. Sharpton has taken a knife in the gut for what he's believed in, he's spent months in jail for what he's believed in. HE WILL ACTUALLY GO ON THE FRONT LINES AND ACT, thats not Obama or his lane. He is a politician that must do as all politicians do, pander to his base. Activists and Civil Rights Leaders pander to a cause.

#20 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

He could bring attention to it like he did the Boston bombing or Sandy Hook. He's not the mayor of Boston, or Newtown, CT, but that dont stop him from speaking on what happens there and deeming it a "national tragedy". He could devote resources to it. Instead he just puts it under his "gun reform" agenda, but nothing SPECIFIC to african americans the way he has done gays and latins in the past. Obama ever since Reverend Wright is paranoid about aligning himself too closely to black issues because he's terrified it'll alienate white folks from his base. Remember when the Rev Wright stuff was going on Obama was depicted by the right as being "overly pro black" and "hating white people".

The first thing is "act". Get on the front lines. Instead of speeches at Ivy League schools, and black elite schools like Morehouse, go out there on the front lines and talk to the kids and the people in that community. That is what the Sharpton's do, that is what others do. Sharpton has taken a knife in the gut for what he's believed in, he's spent months in jail for what he's believed in. HE WILL ACTUALLY GO ON THE FRONT LINES AND ACT, thats not Obama or his lane. He is a politician that must do as all politicians do, pander to his base. Activists and Civil Rights Leaders pander to a cause.

Being on the front lines is awesome and all..but the question is exactly WHAT do you think he could do....to actually try to correct the problem of gang violence.

#21 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Being on the front lines is awesome and all..but the question is exactly WHAT do you think he could do....to actually try to correct the problem of gang violence.

Fix the unemployment rate that disproportionately affects blacks. When you dont work, you don't eat. And when people don't eat, they turn to a life of crime.

Stress economic empowerment and small business ownership in the black community. You speaking at Morehouse College a black elite school and not one word on ECONOMICS?

It's not on Obama to "fix the gang problem" thats been a part of Chicago for decades. But to not even mention it publicly or deem it a "national tragedy" says a lot. The murder rate is INSANE.

#22 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Fix the unemployment rate that disproportionately affects blacks. When you dont work, you don't eat. And when people don't eat, they turn to a life of crime.

Stress economic empowerment and small business ownership in the black community. You speaking at Morehouse College a black elite school and not one word on ECONOMICS?

It's not on Obama to "fix the gang problem" thats been a part of Chicago for decades. But to not even mention it publicly or deem it a "national tragedy" says a lot. The murder rate is INSANE.

I too don't think that it's his baby.  I hate that the gun nuts want to go after the guns that aren't killing the majority of the people in the US.

IMO education, not employment is where this starts.  But that's just me.

#23 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

IMO education, not employment is where this starts.  But that's just me.

It starts with a mother and father in the home engaged in the lives of their children.

There will never be enough money for schools and counselors to take the place of involved parents.

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother. 70%. Thats just unreal. I can't imagine going through highschool and what an idiot I was without a dad to set me straight.

#24 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

It starts with a mother and father in the home engaged in the lives of their children.

There will never be enough money for schools and counselors to take the place of involved parents.

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother. 70%. Thats just unreal. I can't imagine going through highschool and what an idiot I was without a dad to set me straight.

I 100% agree with this.  No amount of time or money will ever help these kids until they have parents that care about the outcomes of their lives.

If some of these women are getting pregnant and having kids while still in their teen years, there is no way that a majority will turn out well.

I certainly don't know how to turn the tide though in some of these poor inner cities, and for that matter in the poor rural areas of the country.

#25 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

A stable and positive family structure is necessary, but the single-parent is running into a strong head wind of gang influence/presense. I will admit that I haven't read into the Chicago problem, but I think the gang power must be crippled before any other positive programs could take hold.

I'm assuming that the gangs are recruiting kids (12-18) to fill the ranks. Probably through fear and coercion. A single mom (or aunt, uncle, grandparent) is going to have a tough time sheltering their child from gangs on the street, in the stores, maybe even in your building.

Kids need schools and after school programs. But instead of fully paid by taxpayers, I would get Corporations to match funds. School vouchers, after school programs, job training for the parents. While this is going on, Rahm needs to bust up the gangs. He needs a Chicago surge, his version of "New Way Forward".

#26 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I agree 100% although that's a broad statement that applies to everyone. Self reliance and self responsibility. It is also the duty of every BLACK mother and father to educate their children on the history of this country and the black man's history and struggle in this country. To not do so leaves their child unequipped to deal with a racist society like America.

Who implied that?

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother.

Link?

And can you provide a link that says the murder victims are all from single parent homes? Or the people who've been apprehended as the murderers? Or are you racially stereotyping?

Zod, not only do we need to think about the people who perpetuate crimes, but there are also victims. Hadiya Pendleton who was a part of Obama's re-inauguration ceremony was shot and killed in the street. It had nothing to do with how many parents were living in her home (she has 2). It had nothing to do with "personal responsibility", she was walking down the street. Your post is nice, but it really doesn't address how we make the streets SAFER for people WHO DONT COMMIT CRIMES. This is why I say economic empowerment, OWNERSHIP, self reliance, youth programs to keep kids off the streets, are important to this beyond just stereotyping the black family structure.

#27 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

No mention of fathers in your solution?

#28 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

No mention of fathers in your solution?

What about them?

#29 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

http://www.nbcnews.c...e/#.UZqcMJyhA08

The black community's 72 percent rate eclipses that of most other groups: 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent.

http://datacenter.ki...gs.aspx?ind=107

nited States   scale.gif American Indian 53%   Asian or Pacific Islander 17%   Black or African American 67%   Hispanic or Latino 42%   Non-Hispanic White 25%   Two or More Races 42%   Total 35%  

look at Illinois...

Illinois   scale.gif American Indian S   Asian or Pacific Islander 10% list_dot_orange.gif Black or African American 74% list_dot_orange.gif Hispanic or Latino 37% list_dot_orange.gif Non-Hispanic White 22% list_dot_orange.gif Two or More Races 41% list_dot_orange.gif Total 34% list_dot_orange.gif

So 74% of black kids in Illinois do not have 2 parent homes. Don't you find that disturbing?

If you just google it there are lots of results. Me saying that the problems with the kids in inner cities could have something to do with the extremely high percentage of single moms is not stereotyping.

Asian kids typically do well in school and have low unemployment. Well, only 17% of Asian kids are in a single parent home. Makes sense.

#30 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

How do you fix that though? The unemployment rate for blacks with a college education is fairly low. The high unemployment problem in the black community is largely due to a significantly higher number of blacks not having college degrees or even high school degrees.

There simply aren't that many jobs that pay a decent wage available to people without a high school diploma or even a college degree these days.

The unskilled manufacturing jobs that used to provide those with lower levels of education a decent wage are gone and they're never coming back.

I'm not actually asking you to give me an answer on how to fix it, I'm just trying to make the point that I don't know how you actually fix that problem. High unemployment rate and poverty are absolutely the driving forces behind crime, but I don't know of any easy solution because we simply don't have a need for unskilled workers when we can outsource those jobs to other countries for much cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com