Photo
- - - - -

So why can the Pelicans name happen right away but Hornets take two years?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

So what am I missing here. New Orleans will have the Pelicans set to go by start of this upcoming season but Mr David Stern mini Adam Silver is saying "well, Charlotte would need to wait 18-24 months" My question is simple, why?

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,594 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Apparently they had been working on it for quite sometime, but to be honest; I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan goes to Stern and tells him they need to speed the process up, even if merchandise isn't ready for the start of the season.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that Jordan is going to go through a year not making any money off of merchandise because everyone knows we are switching nickname's.

We'll find out more details tomorrow.

#3 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,095 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I think it will be the start of the season.  Jordan will make it happen.

#4 RunFasterJumpHigher

RunFasterJumpHigher

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

http://www.nba.com/2...-to-hornets.ap/

This article states that the process could be sped up since NBA owns the rights.  I also agree with CarolinaPanthers8789. . . seems silly to announce a name change with a whole season of Bobcats basketball left, pretty much guaranteeing bad merch sales.  

Here's the qoute

While he didn't estimate how much the change would cost, Silver did say the fact that the league owns the rights to the name Hornets could help speed up the transition process.

"I'll let [the Bobcats] speak to their own time line, but we're supportive of whatever they do," Silver said in April.

#5 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

merchandise would sell more than you think next year.  it will be discounted and i'll load up.  plenty of bobcats gear to wear around so when the team starts winning people will know i've been here from the start.  i'm sure others feel the same way.

#6 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

merchandise would sell more than you think next year.  it will be discounted and i'll load up.  plenty of bobcats gear to wear around so when the team starts winning people will know i've been here from the start.  i'm sure others feel the same way.

First of let me preface by saying that I'm not trying to sound haughty or dick like.

The only reason I'm not a STH is because I go to school in Virginia and live in Raleigh.

I have been behind the Cats since day one and it's almost semi embarrassing that I own over $2000 dollars in Cats merch.

I went to 10 games last year and by the end of they year (fan appreciation night) the merchandise was at unprecedented lows.  You could essentially get four t-shirts for $80 and to be honest there was only one time when I saw the team store at capacity and that was when we were playing the Lakers and they were giving away a free pair of Jordan's with a purchase of $100 or more.

I for one will not be purchasing any more merchandise because I have bought every Kemba Walker shirt, jersey, bobblehead, picture, that they have in the store.

I just don't see fans who never liked the Bobcats name to begin with to go purchase merchandise (regardless of how low it is).

#7 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

However, as usual I'm wrong.

Sports Business Daily is reporting that the change will take place for the 14-15 season...

Only one more season of the Cats.

#8 Password is Taco

Password is Taco

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I cant see anyway another season of Bobcats. Can you imagine how little bobcats merchandise they will sell?

#9 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

I just don't see fans who never liked the Bobcats name to begin with to go purchase merchandise (regardless of how low it is).

Even though I'm not a bobcats fan, if they sell the cats game shorts cheaplike, I'd buy a pair just to have them. I'm not a big buying basketball jersey's to wear, I do own a few Iverson/Barkley/Iguodala/Bogues/Johnson jersey's that I plan on hanging up someday.

#10 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Lol, shows how much I know...

#11 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,450 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

rules and regulations of the game

#12 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 12,450 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Load up on 90% off Bobcats gear. Stuff will be cool to have one day and look back on

#13 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 12,450 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Load up on 90% off Bobcats gear. Stuff will be cool to have one day and look back on

#14 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,594 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've already done that, should have waited though lol.

#15 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,982 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

8789, we should get up for some games each season man. I'm right outside of Raleigh and that is quite a trip to make individually.

I really was hoping they would expedite the process like they did for the name thieves this year... I'm still hoping for that until they say otherwise. I'm so ready for this change. That being said, if they make us deal with another year of corny Bob's Cats, I will load up on some merchandise just for the memories. I gave away my last Cats jersey (an Okafor) to the goodwill last year.

Funny thing is, I haven't shared this with anyone... I bought a Black New Era Charlotte Hornets fitted back in 2000 or 2001 on a whim. Even though I was a teen, I just had a weird feeling about things once Shinn brought in that fat face Ray Woolridge... He just seemed shady. So, anyway, for some reason Sam's Club was carrying them iirc, and I bought it with what little money I had. And usually, with the way I am, after our team was stolen from us, I would've burned that hat out of spite... But, for some reason, I kept it. Part of me felt like the Hornets would be back, but then I'd catch myself and realize how unrealistic it was. I outgrew the hat, still kept it. Took it with me when I threw other things out in multiple moves. And now here we are. It's relevant again... There's a reason I held onto it even though I was disgusted with the image once New Orleans stole and sullied it. This is amazing.

BTW, I bought two new, fresh Charlotte Hornets fitteds last year when the movement started and I plan on rocking them regularly now again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users