Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest xBox live CNet release

104 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Now I briefly mentioned this before and it's not know exactly how the mandatory install and used game fee will work. Right now though, it's tied to the HD and xbox live accounts, so other xbox live accounts on the same system will recognize the game as used, unless their is a work around for that particular issue. 

Ouch..

So you couldn't even borrow a friends game.

That's brutal.

Posted · Report post

Details about the way the OS works.

The system has a main OS, then it has a APP level and another level that are always running. Just mentioned on the tech panel that's live. 

The back of the system as two HDMI port's on it, one in and one out. Uses the Windows snap feature to allow to apps to run at the same time, Also has skype built into the system. 

The always online information is in regards to a feature that developers can take advantage of called Azure computing which would require the always online feature to be active. 

Posted · Report post

Ouch..

So you couldn't even borrow a friends game.

That's brutal.

From the way it's being worded right now by MS, yep. 

The system has a mandatory install and is tied to your xbox live account. If the game is recognized as used, there will be a pop up that requires a fee to allow the game to be installed on the system.  Once the game is installed you no longer need the disk to run the game. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Read that it's possible the developer can choose to allow used games (with fee) or to not allow at all.  Probably why EA went away with online passes.  I'm at work so most stuff is blocked but I also read EA has exclusive deal with Xbox?

Posted · Report post

No the EA thing wasn't an exclusive deal at all, it was just for a feature in FIFA 14 (the team card game thing) 

As for the fee for used games, I've seen anything about it being developer controlled. It's the game has to be installed and the game disk and install are tied into the user's xbox live account. The used game fee is being charged by MS from what they told wired. I'll copy and paste the information from it. 

There is a way around it though according to MS.

It works like this, the game has to be installed to your HD to work as games require HD install. If you trade the game in, once the new user installs that disk. it deactivates and uninstalls from the first user's HD. 

Means that if you borrow a game from someone, the only way you can play it with out paying the fee is for your friend to loose their install on their particular system. 

[twitter]@MrJonty[/twitter]

On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.

So not sure, what's going on with that. The interview with Wired was directly from xbox and the european xbox mag editor has never heard of the fee or anything like that..... 

Posted · Report post

Quit complaining this is cool shit

Posted · Report post

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

I'll post the major points.

Q:    Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A:    No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q:    Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games? 
A:    We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

Q:   Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A:    The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform.  By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.

Posted · Report post

Quit complaining this is cool poo

Umm? What's exactly cool about the TV feature's and NFL features requiring an additional attachment.  Forced Game installs, forced Kinect use and a forced internet connection? (It requires an internet connection, but doesn't have to always be online") If it has Gddr3 memory as currently specd, it creates a bottleneck from hell on the system power. The unknown issue with used games and how that mess works.. No mention of processor speed "which is worrisome because if it was high powered, they'd announced it."  Controller still uses AA batteries (4 of them is the word right now) 

I mean unless you like the TV features this was a pretty bad announcement, nothing major from the game department and they went light on the specs being announced. 

Right off hand has a serious gamer and techie, The kinect being mandatory, gddr3 memory and no announcement of processor speed are major issues for the system. The controller still using antique batteries and needing an additional accessory (charge pack and cable) is pretty bad as well.

The system itself looks like a DVR top set box and looks to be about the same size as the original PS3 system. 

The coolest thing they mentioned was Azura Cloud computing. Meaning that developers can use more power then what the system has available by moving some processes to a cloud server. Oh and depending on how it's implemented the changing and evolving achievements could be pretty cool if your into achievements and trophies. 

The cloud computing was seriously the most interesting thing mentioned about the new system. I went from getting a xbox one to not getting one with this set of press conferences. MS will have to have one hell of an E3 to get non casual gamers back in the fold. 

I will end this on an interesting and more positive note. I think it's very interesting on how Sony and MS are differing on approach this next generation. MS is relying on COD to stay a major seller while Sony is backing Destiny.  "I'm talking about the exclusive content and early release period for Destiny on PS3/PS4 and COD ghost on xbox one" 

Posted · Report post

francis has weighed in....

[yt]SyD1VlQdj2s[/yt]

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yea sorry, but Gddr3 RAM, and no mention of processor speed makes this console seriously suspect when it comes to a "Next Gen" console.  I'll buy one eventually because I'm a gamer and want to play all the exclusives, but I worry if M$ is putting too many eggs into the "all in one entertainment system" gimmick.  At the end of the day it's a game console, and the people who buy it aren't buying it to run alongside their DVR, they're buying it to play games.  If it does that as well or better than the PS4 than it will do well, if not it will be a huge disappointment....

Posted · Report post

Yea sorry, but Gddr3 RAM, and no mention of processor speed makes this console seriously suspect when it comes to a "Next Gen" console.  I'll buy one eventually because I'm a gamer and want to play all the exclusives, but I worry if M$ is putting too many eggs into the "all in one entertainment system" gimmick.  At the end of the day it's a game console, and the people who buy it aren't buying it to run alongside their DVR, they're buying it to play games.  If it does that as well or better than the PS4 than it will do well, if not it will be a huge disappointment....

I got some details on it from the round table thing they did, 

based on computing power the new xbox pushes 1.23 Tflops compared to the announced specs of the PS4 at 1.83 Tflops. 

The Xbox One has 8 cores that run at 1.68 Ghz with a 768 thread packing GPU capable of running 1.23 Tflops with more power available through the Azura cloud services. 

The PS4 is an 8 core modified Jaguar running at 2GHz with a GPU with 18 compute units capable of 1.83 Tflops. Add in the advantage with gddr5 memory and the only way the new xbox catches up is with massive computing power being moved to the cloud. 

Of course this is based off of the compute power specs that the MS round table were discussing earlier today. However I will note that those same exact specs were leaked a few weeks ago by a tech magazine online. So they are most likely accurate. 

1 person likes this