Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest xBox live CNet release

104 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Well, found out what the doesn't have to be online, but has to always be connected to the internet meant. 

"For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today."

And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

So it requires a connection to the internet at minimum once a day to update and for game verification purposes. In reality it does require an internet connection and pretty much needs to always be connected. 

Posted · Report post

The used games thing is going to work like I thought it would.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?

Going to a friends house, they have to pay full price before it works on their system. Bought a game and don't like it, MS will offer a way to trade in games through them. Unless the whole time your playing the game your using your buddies xbox live account. 

Since Xbox One games have to be installed and verified online through xbox live "Similar to PC games" you won't be able to trade them in at brick and mortar stores. MS will be the ones offering the used game's and not gamestop or BestBuy.

The way it will probably work is that You'll be able to trade a game in towards MS for online points or what not, the game would be removed from your hard drive and you'd have to send the disk off to MS. Might actually be able to trade in Online games as well with this type of service.  They'll have some sort of used game service that they'll announce at E3 probably.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Posted · Report post

As a long time casual xbox gamer, I will say that this impressed me more than the PS4 premiere did.  I have also owned a PS3 (60gb) since 2005(6?).  I don't have a cable box anymore, but I like that it's there.  I really like that feature that ties in the online with your tv watching in an semi intelligent way.  I don't care about hardware specs.  Look at the PS3's cell processor, which should have been the bees knees.  What I do care about is how well it functions, and god forbid, are the games fun.  That is the ultimate issue.  I won't buy one (or the PS4) at launch, I'm a new dad and too poor frankly.  I will wait a year or so to see how well these "next-gen" consoles compare to their popular, deeply installed previous renditions.  What I think might be kind of funny is the amount of development that occurs for the PS3/360s after the next gen launch.  I bet we'll see more than Sony and MS would necessarily like to see.

And as far as the used games, I want to see more details.  I buy games cheaply.  If they are going more digital distrubition model with these new systems, then why buy the physical discs anymore?  That's what I'm seeing, a move away from hardware based sales and into digital products.  You can't trade in your DL'd games either.  We will just have to see!

Posted · Report post

Have to connect to the internet daily? Kinect is a requirement? Can't play my game on a friend's system? I think this is where Microsoft, if not the console industry in general, and I part ways.

Posted · Report post

As a long time casual xbox gamer, I will say that this impressed me more than the PS4 premiere did.  I have also owned a PS3 (60gb) since 2005(6?).  I don't have a cable box anymore, but I like that it's there.  I really like that feature that ties in the online with your tv watching in an semi intelligent way.  I don't care about hardware specs.  Look at the PS3's cell processor, which should have been the bees knees.  What I do care about is how well it functions, and god forbid, are the games fun.  That is the ultimate issue.  I won't buy one (or the PS4) at launch, I'm a new dad and too poor frankly.  I will wait a year or so to see how well these "next-gen" consoles compare to their popular, deeply installed previous renditions.  What I think might be kind of funny is the amount of development that occurs for the PS3/360s after the next gen launch.  I bet we'll see more than Sony and MS would necessarily like to see.

And as far as the used games, I want to see more details.  I buy games cheaply.  If they are going more digital distrubition model with these new systems, then why buy the physical discs anymore?  That's what I'm seeing, a move away from hardware based sales and into digital products.  You can't trade in your DL'd games either.  We will just have to see!

This is a bit of a flawed statement.  Just because third party developers got lazy and didn't optimize their games for the systems they were releasing it on doesn't mean the Cell processor or the PS3 were inferior.  All you have to do is look at first party exclusives to see how powerful the PS3 was for a console....

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yea having to connect every 24 hours while not an issue really for me, is really fuging dumb....

Posted · Report post

There's a ton of issues with this system circulating and I don't like any of them, but if they can iron those over then it will be ok.  

Used game issues - Major Nelson is saying one thing and Phil Harrison is doing interviews and confirming the fee and the daily connection. So not sure what's going on with that stuff. 

You can play your games over at a friends house, you would just have to link your Live account to that system while your playing or pay the fee. 

The TV features all require an additional digital box purchase that works for the Xbox One, no telling how much that extra device will cost. So the TV features are kind of a moot point because they aren't out of the box features. 

Posted · Report post

KTteljF.png

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The Xbox reveal was a disater. M$ are more focusing on thier goal of being the ultimate all-in-one entertainment center instead of focusing on improving the actual gaming console.

I for one will not be buying this. I've been a Sony guy for awhile and I have no choice but to continue to be.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

So this "One" has 8 GB of DDR3.  Wth?  DDR3?? That's pretty pitiful.

Posted · Report post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Well the online thing is something I can live with.  As long as I don't have to be constantly connected to play single player games, I'm ok with it.  Still not sold on Xbox One though.  I'll wait to see what they bring to E3.  In any case I doubt I'll be buying either console at launch.  I want to see how both the PS4 and Xbox 1 perform (i.e. how many defects there are).  I'm not going to buy 4 or 5 consoles because it's badly designed.