• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

The lesson is, if you haven't already ditched your Gamestop stock, now is a pretty good time.

The more local outfits in this area are switching over to a focus on retro games.  While they've said they'll still carry games from new system, their focus will be on older games and console repair.

#62 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Yup, figures.  Good luck GameStop, although they DO rip people off, I just feel bad about the jobs of those people.   There is too much double dipping going on here, the greed is crazy.  They make money off new games, but I see MS selling digital stuff for cheaper, combined with training everyone to be "online" and use "cloud" people are going to start shying away from buying physical media.

#63 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yea, if that's the way it works. Gamestop's going from 100% profit on used games to like 3-5% and this is the market that accounts for 90% of Gamestop's profit.  It's also going to make the cost of Used games go up, so more people are going to likely go with new ones, which I guess is the intent and purpose of doing this. 

#64 Wyank

Wyank

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

So far it is looking like a PS4 household for me.

#65 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Right and of course they won't make them lower than $60, maybe a bit, but yeah.

As much as I want to be apart of a console launch, I'm just not sure about this.  I feel way more freedom on PC using Steam, even though it has DRM of its own.  I may go PS4 also, they seem to be focused on actual gaming, I'll wait for prices.

#66 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

More details of the Xbox One trade in/ used games system.

http://www.mcvuk.com...-retail/0116137

Looks like I won't be getting the next gen console.

On the surface I'm not sure how this would work. Essentially you don't own the game at all, only a license. I would guess that this violates some State's consumer protection laws and the State AG will be forced to step in.

#67 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Looks like I won't be getting the next gen console.

On the surface I'm not sure how this would work. Essentially you don't own the game at all, only a license. I would guess that this violates some State's consumer protection laws and the State AG will be forced to step in.

It will work similar to how PC games work, the license or key it what activates the game. In this case, your disk being downloaded to your xbox one will be the key to activate the game. All the games that you buy and download to your system are tied to your xbox live account which will be attached to the cloud servers which authenticate games. 

Of course non of this is 100%, but I think it's probably pretty accurate if that's what they are telling retailers. It's also telling on how quite MS is being about this and the online connectivity issues make it seem even more likely. Gamestop refused to comment about it and didn't seem to thrilled, but they are pushing the system so who knows. 

#68 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Wow, I really like MS and was hoping that the One would knock it out of the park and make me want to buy it....... Yeah, not likely going to happen at this rate.

It just keeps getting worse for MS and the bad part is they could fix most of this by being honest and open about what they are planning, the fact that they are being tight lipped about it or beating around the bush on these type of issues makes them seem even more and more likely.

I'm honestly not sure what to even think about this one. Through the Kinect, the Xbox One features a visual DRM that prevents movies and content from playing if there's more people in the room then the license premits. Duh What??????????

http://www.ign.com/a...-use-visual-drm

Microsoft has responded to fresh privacy concerns over a patent from 2011 that suggests Kinect 2 may be used as a form of visual DRM, should the company decide to implement such a measure in Xbox One.

ExtremeTech discovered the filing back in November, which is labelled as covering "content distribution regulation by viewing user." Theoretically, if the Kinect establishes there are more people in the room than is permitted according to the licence that users agree to when renting of purchasing content, the movie won't play.

"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken," it reads.

According to unverified "industry sources" spoken to by MCV within the last month, this is a real thing Microsoft is planning to implement on Xbox One using Kinect 2.

Today, however, the company has responded to speculation with the following statement: "Microsoft regularly applies for and receives patents as part of its business practice; not all patents applied for or received will be incorporated into a Microsoft product."

That appears to be all the information the company is sharing for now. While there's no guarantee it's true, if it is then it's latest instance of a potentially concerning encroachment into privacy. Seeing as we already know that the Kinect 2's microphone will always be on and the new console won't function without the device, such a measure isn't out of the question.

#69 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm sure I'll pick up an Xbox One eventually when an exclusive I want comes out, but it won't be like the PS4 which I'm psyched to get at launch.  Sorry, but M$ took the anti piracy and anti used games poo WAY too far....

#70 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

HUDDLER

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

lol

http://me.ign.com/en...-t-in-real-time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users