Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top dawg

Did G-man jump the gun a little too soon in FA? I realize hindsight is always 20:20.

32 posts in this topic

OK, perhaps you could say that maybe a few years here or there (i.e., age) really matters when it comes to signing band-aids, near-busts, and/or journeymen. Or maybe Gettleman is truly more optimistic about the upside and/or fit of some of the new guys within our system. Or, maybe the off-field issues have turned him off, but I got to believe that Kerry Rhodes from a purely football standpoint has to be better than either Mike Mitchell or D.J. Campbell. Moreover, I would think that Brandon Lloyd would help us more than either Hixon or Ginn. On an off note, I suspect that Devery Henderson may even provide more umph than Hixon or Ginn, particularly if he has a chip on his shoulder from being shown the door in New Orleans.  But, getting back on point, I don't know if G-man is finished signing FAs, and I don't even know that I would want him to sign any of those guys now that we seemingly have a glut at safety and WR (albeit with somewhat nondescript talent), but I still wonder if we shouldn't explore the opportunities and let the chips fall where they may. Competition is key, and even though I know we've got a tough season ahead, I want to do everything to win now, and make the playoffs.

no way we're done yet

If I never hear the word umph or the overused "A" Cam Newton or "the Cam Newtons of the world"  I will die a happy man!

Remember Cam yelling at the Referee after the Mitchell's hit vs. Oak?

OK, perhaps you could say that maybe a few years here or there (i.e., age) really matters when it comes to signing band-aids, near-busts, and/or journeymen. Or maybe Gettleman is truly more optimistic about the upside and/or fit of some of the new guys within our system. Or, maybe the off-field issues have turned him off, but I got to believe that Kerry Rhodes from a purely football standpoint has to be better than either Mike Mitchell or D.J. Campbell. Moreover, I would think that Brandon Lloyd would help us more than either Hixon or Ginn. On an off note, I suspect that Devery Henderson may even provide more umph than Hixon or Ginn, particularly if he has a chip on his shoulder from being shown the door in New Orleans.  But, getting back on point, I don't know if G-man is finished signing FAs, and I don't even know that I would want him to sign any of those guys now that we seemingly have a glut at safety and WR (albeit with somewhat nondescript talent), but I still wonder if we shouldn't explore the opportunities and let the chips fall where they may. Competition is key, and even though I know we've got a tough season ahead, I want to do everything to win now, and make the playoffs.

Devery Henderson really???

How many teams has Lloyd been able to stay on? ....... There is a reason for that.

I rather go with a young guy like Mitchell (25) who just needs to be given a chance. Then get a retread like Rhodes who's 30.

2 people like this

Sometimes it's not about finding a "better" player, but the player that better fits what you're trying to do.

Plus, Gettleman isn't bringing in many aging vets to act as stop-gaps.  Florence is about the only guy who fits that description.  Gettleman doesn't seem to interested in stop-gaps right now, he's trying to build a team for the future.

2 people like this

This place was on suicide watch when he didn't sign any FA for however long it was and now he jumped the gun?

4 people like this

Ginn fills a need as a returner so I see him over the other guys. Then he's familiar with Hixon. I could see why you'd add somebody else, but they made enough sense to me.

Sometimes it's not about finding a "better" player, but the player that better fits what you're trying to do.

Plus, Gettleman isn't bringing in many aging vets to act as stop-gaps.  Florence is about the only guy who fits that description.  Gettleman doesn't seem to interested in stop-gaps right now, he's trying to build a team for the future.

this is what more fans need to understand.