Photo
- - - - -

Did G-man jump the gun a little too soon in FA? I realize hindsight is always 20:20.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE
HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

OK, perhaps you could say that maybe a few years here or there (i.e., age) really matters when it comes to signing band-aids, near-busts, and/or journeymen. Or maybe Gettleman is truly more optimistic about the upside and/or fit of some of the new guys within our system. Or, maybe the off-field issues have turned him off, but I got to believe that Kerry Rhodes from a purely football standpoint has to be better than either Mike Mitchell or D.J. Campbell. Moreover, I would think that Brandon Lloyd would help us more than either Hixon or Ginn. On an off note, I suspect that Devery Henderson may even provide more umph than Hixon or Ginn, particularly if he has a chip on his shoulder from being shown the door in New Orleans.  But, getting back on point, I don't know if G-man is finished signing FAs, and I don't even know that I would want him to sign any of those guys now that we seemingly have a glut at safety and WR (albeit with somewhat nondescript talent), but I still wonder if we shouldn't explore the opportunities and let the chips fall where they may. Competition is key, and even though I know we've got a tough season ahead, I want to do everything to win now, and make the playoffs.

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

no way we're done yet

#3 rdog157h

rdog157h

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

If I never hear the word umph or the overused "A" Cam Newton or "the Cam Newtons of the world"  I will die a happy man!

#4 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Remember Cam yelling at the Referee after the Mitchell's hit vs. Oak?

#5 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• LocationNonya
HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

OK, perhaps you could say that maybe a few years here or there (i.e., age) really matters when it comes to signing band-aids, near-busts, and/or journeymen. Or maybe Gettleman is truly more optimistic about the upside and/or fit of some of the new guys within our system. Or, maybe the off-field issues have turned him off, but I got to believe that Kerry Rhodes from a purely football standpoint has to be better than either Mike Mitchell or D.J. Campbell. Moreover, I would think that Brandon Lloyd would help us more than either Hixon or Ginn. On an off note, I suspect that Devery Henderson may even provide more umph than Hixon or Ginn, particularly if he has a chip on his shoulder from being shown the door in New Orleans.  But, getting back on point, I don't know if G-man is finished signing FAs, and I don't even know that I would want him to sign any of those guys now that we seemingly have a glut at safety and WR (albeit with somewhat nondescript talent), but I still wonder if we shouldn't explore the opportunities and let the chips fall where they may. Competition is key, and even though I know we've got a tough season ahead, I want to do everything to win now, and make the playoffs.

Devery Henderson really???

How many teams has Lloyd been able to stay on? ....... There is a reason for that.

I rather go with a young guy like Mitchell (25) who just needs to be given a chance. Then get a retread like Rhodes who's 30.

#6 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Sometimes it's not about finding a "better" player, but the player that better fits what you're trying to do.

Plus, Gettleman isn't bringing in many aging vets to act as stop-gaps.  Florence is about the only guy who fits that description.  Gettleman doesn't seem to interested in stop-gaps right now, he's trying to build a team for the future.

#7 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

This place was on suicide watch when he didn't sign any FA for however long it was and now he jumped the gun?

#8 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ginn fills a need as a returner so I see him over the other guys. Then he's familiar with Hixon. I could see why you'd add somebody else, but they made enough sense to me.

#9 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

HUDDLER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Sometimes it's not about finding a "better" player, but the player that better fits what you're trying to do.

Plus, Gettleman isn't bringing in many aging vets to act as stop-gaps.  Florence is about the only guy who fits that description.  Gettleman doesn't seem to interested in stop-gaps right now, he's trying to build a team for the future.

this is what more fans need to understand.

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

20/20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users